PDA

View Full Version : [church] SIMPLE scheduling software

DFreeze
December 12th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Hey all,

I'm searching for a tool to help out our suffering scheduler ;-) She has a hell of a job trying to get all musicians in a roster they feel comfortable with, taking into account things like:

- person A and person B can never sing together
- person C can only play fixed dates, because of other appointments
- person D is flexible, but only wants to play once a month
- persons belong to groups (drummers, singers, guitarists, ...) and we need one drummer per service, one guitarist at least, and two or more singers

Right now this is all done manually, and it's a frustrating and time consuming job. I've searched the web, sourceforge, gnomefiles, but no luck. Does any of you have a suggestion?

Preferably cross-platform, or webbased, but please chime in with anything that comes to mind.

Thanks a million!

tbroderick
December 12th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Did you try Google Calendar?

PartisanEntity
December 12th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Sorry I cannot help you, but what is 'suffering'? Thanks.

DFreeze
December 12th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Sorry I cannot help you, but what is 'suffering'? Thanks.

It's a bit of an overstatement, like she'd be in pain for doing this heavy job. :) Offcourse it's not that bad, but if I can make her life a little easier, that would be great.

PartisanEntity
December 12th, 2007, 09:50 PM
It's a bit of an overstatement, like she'd be in pain for doing this heavy job. :) Offcourse it's not that bad, but if I can make her life a little easier, that would be great.

Oh I see, for some reason I thought it might be the name of some event or task :)

DFreeze
December 12th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Did you try Google Calendar?
Well, I have it myself, but doesn't that require all the members to also have google calender? Or can she just make an account and add people and tasks? If Google Calender could do the job, that would be really neat. I'll look into it right away!

::EDIT::

I see I can add multiple agenda's so that's good. But is there an option to kind of link agenda's for scheduling (specifically with the kind of relations I summed up before: A not with B, C only once a month, at least one of each group, etc.) ? So GoogleCalendar can suggest possibilities for each sunday? It looks more like a database thing, something like ERP, but than not so complex. Just the human resource planning, not the project management, financial accounting, etc. I've looked around for a simple ERP program, but they all look overly complex.

popch
December 12th, 2007, 09:53 PM
That problem sounds a bit like what they are doing in schools when they make the time table for the semester. I know there must be software around which supports that, but I do not know any titles. OTOH, some project schedulars also could fit the bill. Look for 'resource calendars'.

mali2297
December 12th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Results from a quick search: Rapla (http://rapla.sourceforge.net/) and FET (http://www.lalescu.ro/liviu/fet/). I don't know how useful they are.

daynah
December 13th, 2007, 12:08 AM
http://mashable.com/2007/10/08/online-calendar-toolbox/

Pick one!

I really suggest online for this. You can check and edit online from anywhere. If you go with a calendar that's ical format (most are) you can have it imported into Thunderbird (and Evolution also) if you need it available offline. Thunderbird is crossplatform, though if you're on a mac, you'd rather use mac software with the ical format.

There was some calendar that I used for a while that would layer different user's schedules on top of each others till you saw the free times, but for the life of me I can't remember it. It was decently popular so it should be on that list.

DFreeze
December 13th, 2007, 10:58 AM
http://mashable.com/2007/10/08/online-calendar-toolbox/

Pick one!

I really suggest online for this. You can check and edit online from anywhere. If you go with a calendar that's ical format (most are) you can have it imported into Thunderbird (and Evolution also) if you need it available offline. Thunderbird is crossplatform, though if you're on a mac, you'd rather use mac software with the ical format.

There was some calendar that I used for a while that would layer different user's schedules on top of each others till you saw the free times, but for the life of me I can't remember it. It was decently popular so it should be on that list.

Thanks so much so far for thinking with me! I also like the online thought, but most of what I see is online calendaring (not the exception and constraints options for planning musicians). So true, I can easily see which persons are available every sunday, given their personal agenda's. But I still have to pick the players manually for every sunday (keeping the constraints in mind). Is there any tool available that can do this for me? I give the availability and constraints, and this thing generates monthly rosters...

I also tried the two schoolplanners (FET and Rapla), but they also don't seem to include the constraints (teacher A never together with teacher B, pick one student out of the drummer group randomly, ...).

Just now, I stumbled upon schooltool.org, an Edubuntu based tool for managing school resources. Anyone have experience with it? It looks like something similar as the other schoolplanners, but maybe this has more constraints-options.

Davidgbeck
January 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
... Is there any tool available that can do this for me? I give the availability and constraints, and this thing generates monthly rosters...

Hi, I came across the post and wanted to chime in because this is a topic that I know a lot about, having worked with scheduling software in the past. In general this type of preference / exception handling in scheduling logic is hard to come by, since it is difficult to do well. However, here is a very well done solution that sounds like it would fit your needs very well, although it is not Edubuntu based:

Ministry Scheduler Pro - Church Volunteer Scheduling Software (http://www.ministryschedulerpro.com)

I hope that helps. I know what a pain scheduling can be!

sanderella
January 15th, 2009, 05:43 PM
You need something like a nurses' off-duty roster. Here is an online one you can use to create one yourself.

http://www.findmyshift.co.uk/overview.aspx?roster=25771

Npl
January 15th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Oh I see, for some reason I thought it might be the name of some event or task :)
The saints, the sinners and the sufferers, surely seems like fitting job-descriptions for a church.