PDA

View Full Version : access denied on mysql

mabuti
September 9th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Hello, I am very new to mysql and just recently installed it(mysql) on my Ubuntu useing the follwoing commands:

sudo apt-get install mysql-server
mysqladmin -u root password db_user_password

Firstly, would like to know what is the meaning and effects of the second command(mysqladmin).
When I type the following:

mysql -h localhost -u root

, I get an error message, something like access denied.
Is there any howto on the net which explains how to handle accounts on mysql.

lao_V
September 9th, 2005, 12:05 PM
By default mysql root doesn't have a password. You're not entering the system root password are you?

lao_V
September 9th, 2005, 12:06 PM
You can find the mysql tutorial/guide at mysql (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/index.html)

mabuti
September 9th, 2005, 12:13 PM
. You're not entering the system root password are you?
I don't follow. I simply copied and pasted the commands as they were on the guide(www.ubuntuguide.org).

lao_V
September 9th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Are you substituting the db_user_password for the correct password?

mabuti
September 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM
no, i didn't substiute it. Ohh, that's the user databases password. But which user is it, root? Bear with me, I am really new to this.

lao_V
September 9th, 2005, 12:43 PM
As I said before, by default, mysql's root account doesn't have password. So you should be able to login using

mysql -u root -h localhost

You don't need to provide the password argument. Then have a read at the mysql docs to find out how to create a new user, db, etc...You may find it easier to install phymyadmin which gives you web access to your mysql (you'll need to install apache as well)

Or if you want the full LAMPP solution then try XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html)

vayu
September 10th, 2005, 09:18 PM
I don't follow. I simply copied and pasted the commands as they were on the guide(www.ubuntuguide.org).
Since you set the password to db_user_password try this:

mysql -u root -p -h localhost

it should ask for the password, at which time you will enter: db_user_password