PDA

View Full Version : Irc

cerealtx
December 8th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Looking 4 a good IRC program, anyone know of one, or should i just use xchat :/

aimran
December 8th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I use xchat even when i know there are better (according to people). But i'm comfortable with xchat anyways.

I use irssi to run my nick-camping bot xD

n3tfury
December 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM
weechat.

maagimies
December 8th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I'll say that Xchat is a very good client, just stay the hell away from the Gnome-Xchat fork for your own sanity.

For example, my Linux newbie/average user friend was using Ubuntu, and installed Gnome-Xchat instead of normal Xchat.
He complained that file transfers wouldn't work, and he doesn't know how to set the DCC ports to correct ones.

Well, of course I just say "Option -> File Transfer dude!" , and there they are in plain sight.
But he says they aren't.
Then he sends me the screenshot and I see the horror.
He actually had to edit a text file to enable file transfers, for a GUI program, for a task he could do in 4 seconds in a GUI. (Notice that I'm not complaining about command line and config files, but DCC options ARE A COMMON OPTION because a lot of people are behind NAT routers these days, and have the basic skills of forwarding their ports, and therefore should easily be able to set DCC ports in the application)

Wazeem
December 8th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I use chatzilla which is an addon for firefox. Its pretty good but its all that I have used so I cant say if it is the best.

TeraDyne
December 8th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I use chatzilla which is an addon for firefox. Its pretty good but its all that I have used so I cant say if it is the best.

It's also built into SeaMonkey by default.

Personally, I like Konversation for when I need the most features, and Chatzilla or irssi when I need something simple.

bonzodog
December 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I personally love weechat - its a curses client and supports scripting in 4 languages. Its also very highly customisable.

FuturePilot
December 8th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I'll say that Xchat is a very good client, just stay the hell away from the Gnome-Xchat fork for your own sanity.

For example, my Linux newbie/average user friend was using Ubuntu, and installed Gnome-Xchat instead of normal Xchat.
He complained that file transfers wouldn't work, and he doesn't know how to set the DCC ports to correct ones.

Well, of course I just say "Option -> File Transfer dude!" , and there they are in plain sight.
But he says they aren't.
Then he sends me the screenshot and I see the horror.
He actually had to edit a text file to enable file transfers, for a GUI program, for a task he could do in 4 seconds in a GUI. (Notice that I'm not complaining about command line and config files, but DCC options ARE A COMMON OPTION because a lot of people are behind NAT routers these days, and have the basic skills of forwarding their ports, and therefore should easily be able to set DCC ports in the application)
+1 For that. I tried xchat-gnome and I went running back to regular xchat.
I would recommend Xchat. I like it a lot.

Anonii
December 8th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I'm using irssi. A lightweight terminal IRC client, that can actually look and act cool. If I had Windows I would use X-chat.

macogw
December 8th, 2007, 09:05 PM
What makes you guys hate xchat-gnome? It, unlike xchat, has a sane UI.

JBAlaska
December 8th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I don't have time to irc much anymore, but when I do I use KVirc.

harishjp
May 27th, 2008, 02:55 AM
What makes you guys hate xchat-gnome? It, unlike xchat, has a sane UI.

Really!!!!

Even in hardy heron, the problem exists. There is no simple way of setting xchat-gnome into passive mode for file transferes. That is really really bad. I was wondering why my file transfer was not working. And I had to manually type in dcc commands to initiate the file transfer.

Dr Small
May 27th, 2008, 03:02 AM
IRSSI FTW!
And at other times, I use Xchat.

smartboyathome
May 27th, 2008, 03:07 AM
This is an old thread, but Pidgin can do IRC channels. I like that because it is an all-in-one for my IM'ing and IRC'ing.

Dr Small
May 27th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Ya, I realized it was an old thread after I posted... :|
Hope the mods ain't angry at me :(