PDA

View Full Version : I need to buy a Camcorder, I need advice...

RAV TUX
December 8th, 2007, 03:51 AM
I need to buy a Camcorder, I need advice...

I am not sure what I need, I'm just starting to do research.

I do know I would like it to be light weight, easy to use and full featured.

Any suggestions?

boast
December 8th, 2007, 03:55 AM
budget?

-grubby
December 8th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Linux compatibility?

RAV TUX
December 8th, 2007, 04:00 AM
budget would be nice perhaps under $600 but I could be flexable...Linux compatible would be nice.

Also, I think I want a Hard Drive Camcorder.

mips
December 8th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Don't get a JVC, I had bad experiences with them so did a friend.

Go for a HD based camcorder.
3CCD sensors if price permits
Ensure you have analogue IN & OUT, this is nice for converting old analogue stuff to digital.
Go for Optical zoom and basically ignore digital zoom.
Brands like Panasonic, Canon & Sony come to mind.
EDIT: Add HDD to that list.

subs
December 8th, 2007, 11:51 AM
i have a sony.... its not a hd camcorder.... it recrds onto a dvd which reads on my ubuntu7.10.....

it records in hd....

the model no is HDR-UX5E

i am very satisfied with the camcorder

sanderella
December 8th, 2007, 12:38 PM
i have a sony.... its not a hd camcorder.... it recrds onto a dvd which reads on my ubuntu7.10.....

it records in hd....

the model no is HDR-UX5E

i am very satisfied with the camcorder

How do you DO THAT????
I have a Sony 101E and I have no idea how to get it to work on Ubuntu.
Grateful for any advice to help a lil ol' lady. :KS

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
I need to buy a Camcorder, I need advice...

I am not sure what I need, I'm just starting to do research.

I do know I would like it to be light weight, easy to use and full featured.

Any suggestions?Follow up on this post...

I eventually bought a Sony Handycam DCR-SR42 with Hard Disk Drive

specs (partial)

Carl Zeiss 40x Vario-Tessar Optical Zoom
2000x Digital Zoom
30GB built in hard drive

I bought this at Microcenter

I highly recommend this baby, the only beef is it does not come with a case...

I stopped by the Sony Store recently a bought a nice Case for about $100...includes an extra battery(very handy)

I have not tested this on Linux, I have only used it on my wifes' Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 which runs Windows XP 2005 Tablet Edition.

mips
February 3rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
Not something I would have purchased but if you are happy with it then thats the main thing.

Palmyra
February 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM
How do you DO THAT????
I have a Sony 101E and I have no idea how to get it to work on Ubuntu.
Grateful for any advice to help a lil ol' lady. :KS

If you have a DVD camcorder, it should be pretty simple. With DVD camcorders, whatever you're filming goes directly onto a DVD. You can then just pop the DVD into your computer, and it should work like any other DVD.

If you're having problems with DVDs in general, do a search on restricted formats.

SpectateSwamp
November 4th, 2010, 07:35 PM
2 lines in a text file determine how each video plays through simple controls along with search details / catalog info. The second line has the path to the file. During the auto-catalog option the APP creates 2 such lines for every *.mpg found in a folder or drive. Very quick and easy. So you are off and looking at your videos almost immediately. Easy is fun.

It's quick to learn a few other "time-line" playback instructions to have the videos start at a specific number of seconds in and play for just 5 or 6 seconds in slow motion.

When it is this easy to shoot and off-load video for immediate playback VIDEO becomes "an obsession".

If your are looking to purchase here are a couple more points to consider during your CamCorder purchase.

For those who want extreme digital zoom; consider a spotting scope. Just set up your camcorder behind that. It works see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwa5iXh2EwQ

Get one with a remote. It eliminates the jigglies at the beginning and end of each video clip when the start / stop button is depressed. It is also required when pairing up with a spotting scope. Once it is set up; you don't want to touch it.

Some camcorders can record with the screen door closed. That's a good feature when out in the cold cold. I have used my bare hands as a heating pads for My camcorder.
Example of mid winter with screen door closed. Slo-mo playback and videoing that display screen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtrpnh6F8TY

Some manufacturers name their files: yyyymmddhhmmss.mpg. That's handy if you want to merge video clips from 2 or more camcorders.

Check out power alternatives to extra batteries. Some portable power units will run your camcorder along with lights. Then you can have the camcorder powered up and READY without worrying about the battery. They are cheap and have other obvious uses.

The best zoom of all is manual zoom. Get in close and circle the subject. So don't let the zoom factor weigh too heavy in your decision. Same for screen size (not that important). I shoot a lot of video during bright daylight and video with movement, where checking the tiny screen is just a distraction.

When looking for video comparisons. There are so many videos on the net you might be able to have somebody do a low light video example; if asked nicely. Maybe?

Get a camcorder that isn't too expensive. Otherwise you won't risk it by taking it everywhere. Cheap and with you "is the best camcorder you can have".

For me I shoot "mpeg video" and "short clips". That allows for immediate upload to the NET (with no editing). I use my custom software (that I can't mention here) it plays avi and wmv but not with the same functionality as mpg. The APP does a lot more but video is it's main advantage. A good video player software is a very important part of the video experience. Both the app and the source code are FREELY available on the NET.
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/search.exe
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/source.txt

I have had 2 long term camcorders (Hitachi & Sony) and both have their good points.

Now is the time to buy a CamCorder! It's OK. This software makes it simple.