PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite browser/plug-in choice?

gwilson
December 7th, 2007, 10:05 PM
What's your favorite browser/plug-in selection?

Is Firefox simply the one and only serious browser for us? Do Epiphany and the other "lesser" browsers have just a subset of Firefox's code and capabilities, or does any of them actually work better for routine viewing of the web? What are the current hang-ups in using Opera Basic?

Which browsers and plug-ins seem to have the least trouble displaying web pages, at this point? I've been with Ubuntu for years, now, and there are still a number of issues while browsing the web. In particular, there are some streaming videos that just don't play correctly, and some sections of the page don't display properly.

Sometimes, I get the feeling that the browser is not selecting the optimum plug-in for the file being streamed. Other times, I know it is because the page I'm viewing is designed to Microsoft standards rather than strict HTML.

What's your favorite browser/plug-in selection?

cyclefiend2000
December 7th, 2007, 10:08 PM
my favorite browser is firefox. plug-ins? as long as what i am trying to view works i dont really think about plug-ins.

gwilson
December 7th, 2007, 10:10 PM
jj

smartboyathome
December 7th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I use opera 9.24, but only because it is faster and more stable (and also doesn't integrate with my desktop, as I use dark themes sometime. :p)

Linuxratty
Fire Fox.

hanzomon4
What is jj? I like firefox..

smartboyathome
December 7th, 2007, 10:15 PM
What is jj?

I am guessing "just joking"...

crimesaucer
December 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM
...Do Epiphany and the other "lesser" browsers have just a subset of Firefox's code and capabilities...

Lol... waiting... waiting... waiting...

crimesaucer
December 7th, 2007, 10:24 PM
*Soon to be moved to the repeated conversation section*

... At the moment I'm liking the Firefox 3 "Minefield" prebeta 2 rc...

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007120604 Minefield/3.0b2pre

It had been out of control with using ram, but it seems to be getting better. Native Widgets are beautiful... Adblock works, StumbleUpon, Gmail Notifier, Google Preview...

... and even though Fasterfox isn't available yet, you can still do every single about:config tweak to make it the exact same.

Large View: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-119-1.png
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/crimesaucer/Screenshot-119.png

silentabe939
December 7th, 2007, 10:25 PM
opera for me.

Wiebelhaus
December 7th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Firefox hands down , others are cool with their unique awesomenesses but Firefox "holds it down" to quote a mid 90's hardcore rapper.

fuscia
December 7th, 2007, 10:30 PM
i was going back and forth between opera and firefox. there are things i love about opera (speed dial and that wand thingy), but i don't like the way in loads pages on the run. also, i can never get the mplayer plugin to work right. so, i've settled on firefox, for now. every site works in it and all the plugins, plus, i just found the tinymenu extension and that sealed the deal.

Sunflower1970
December 7th, 2007, 10:32 PM
*Soon to be moved to the repeated conversation section*

... At the moment I'm liking the Firefox 3 "Minefield" prebeta 2 rc...

+1 for Minefield. Been using FF3 for months. Love it. Only wish it was as fast as Opera...speaking of Opera, my second fave would have to be Opera Kestrel 9.5 Beta.

FuturePilot
December 7th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I like Firefox. On KDE though, I like to use Konqueror.

gwilson
December 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM
No such thing as "jj"

I just clicked on the wrong thing at the wrong time...

Sorry

blithen
December 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I like Firefox. On KDE though, I like to use Konqueror.

Offtopic: Is KDE like based Konqueror?

Ontopic: Swiftweasel :D

FuturePilot
December 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Offtopic: Is KDE like based Konqueror?

Ontopic: Swiftweasel :D

Konqueror is the official KDE browser. It doesn't need the Gecko engine that Epiphany needs (the official Gnome browser). So that's why Kubuntu doesn't come with Firefox. (Plus Kubuntu has a thing for staying pure QT). But once Webkit matures Epiphany should be able to stand on its own.

ExpatPaul
December 7th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Firefox most of the time, but for the few sites that Firefox struggles with I find that Epiphany fills the gap most excellently.

speedwell68
December 7th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Internet Explorer 7....

...joking, Firefox 2.

Vince4Amy
December 7th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Firefox on Linux.
Opera on Windows. I would use Opera on Linux but I cannot get any of the damn plugins to work with it. For example playing quicktime files etc.

FuturePilot
December 7th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Firefox on Linux.
Opera on Windows. I would use Opera on Linux but I cannot get any of the damn plugins to work with it. For example playing quicktime files etc.

Yep, I've tried to use Opera, but I can't get the Mplayer plugin to work.

anemptygun
December 7th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I really like firefox in linux, safari in mac!

bruce89
December 7th, 2007, 11:48 PM
{and also doesn't integrate with my desktop, as I use dark themes sometime. :p)

QT isn't going to use the GTK+ theme settings any time soon.

As anyone who knows me knows, I'm a Epiphany (and soon WebKit) person. In fact, I may switch from Ubuntu if they don't provide a WebKit Epiphany when it is good enough.

il-luzhin
December 7th, 2007, 11:48 PM
opera in a perfect world, ff in my 64-bit reality.

bruce89
December 7th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I really don't understand why Linux people would like Opera so much, it seems so oxymoronic.

rfruth
December 7th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Firefox & the Google Toolbar are pretty much essential to me
http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/index.html

il-luzhin
December 7th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I'd love to be open-source all the way but if it wasn't obvious that opera provides features that were different from the available alternatives I'd consider your comments more deeply bruce89.

Ideals and pragmatism often collide in the real world.

RAV TUX
December 8th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Firefox for a Web Browser.

Opera for IRC chat and BitTorrent clients, with occaisional Web Browing ability built in.

Luggy
December 8th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Epiphany!

Majorix
December 8th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Swiftweasel 3.

Dixon Bainbridge
December 8th, 2007, 12:07 AM
i was going back and forth between opera and firefox. there are things i love about opera (speed dial and that wand thingy), but i don't like the way in loads pages on the run. also, i can never get the mplayer plugin to work right. so, i've settled on firefox, for now. every site works in it and all the plugins, plus, i just found the tinymenu extension and that sealed the deal.

Rclick on embedded content, point it in the direction of totem, works like a dream.

kellemes
December 8th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Opera seems to be more responsive and rendering most pages faster as FF, not sure if it's in my mind..
Anyway, Opera for me.

-grubby
December 8th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I'm using Flock right now, and it seems to be an improved firefox

fuscia
December 8th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Rclick on embedded content, point it in the direction of totem, works like a dream.

i've done that with kmplayer.

EmilyRose
December 8th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Long time oopera user here - I think I even pid for it years ago... its just sooo much faster than anything else... and on dialup it really really matters!!

svtfmook
December 8th, 2007, 12:40 AM
swiftweasel

herbster
December 8th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Am I the only one who cannot stand watching videos in the browser? I never, ever watch Apple trailers or clips of any kind in mpg/mov/avi/etc formats within the browser, just youtube clips (and even then, never trailers or anything). I have to save them and open them in VLC or Xine. It just don't feel right in a browser.

master_kernel
December 8th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Firefox, hands down.

hanzomon4
December 8th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Firefox on Linux.

Same here

SomeGuyDude
December 8th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Swiftweasel. Eager to check out the beta of 3.

Jammerdelray
December 8th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Firefox 3.0 Beta 1 and here's why.

Passes Acid 2 test now

Super fast compared to Firefox 2.0, puts it on par with Opera's speed

New Gecko rendering engine

Anti-Malware which will be in the final Version

Better Extension Security

Numerous memory leaks fixed.

Those are just some of the things in Firefox 3.0 beta 1.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

TeraDyne
December 8th, 2007, 04:02 AM
I use SeaMonkey for my desktop, and Lynx for my laptop\server.

crimesaucer
December 8th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Am I the only one who cannot stand watching videos in the browser? I never, ever watch Apple trailers or clips of any kind in mpg/mov/avi/etc formats within the browser, just youtube clips (and even then, never trailers or anything). I have to save them and open them in VLC or Xine. It just don't feel right in a browser.

In Firefox/Swiftfox/Swiftweasel... most all Mozilla based browser that use Firefox extensions, you can get the "MediaPlayerConnectivity": https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446

It opens all embedded media streams in your media player of choice.

crimesaucer
December 8th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Firefox 3.0 Beta 1 and here's why.

Passes Acid 2 test now

Super fast compared to Firefox 2.0, puts it on par with Opera's speed

New Gecko rendering engine

Anti-Malware which will be in the final Version

Better Extension Security

Numerous memory leaks fixed.

Those are just some of the things in Firefox 3.0 beta 1.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

If you try the Firefox 3 prebeta 2 "Minefield", it is even better than Firefox 3 beta 1:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007120704 Minefield/3.0b2pre at: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/

vishzilla
December 8th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Firefox 3 beta