PDA

View Full Version : Tux Droid

WorldTripping
December 7th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Don't know if anyone has spotted one of these yet .. :D

## Text posted from www.firebox.com (http://www.firebox.com/product/2032?src_t=vid) ##

Tux Droid
All seeing, all knowing programmable wireless...er, penguin

Eyes light up and talks
If you thought penguins were only good for squawking and scoffing fish, think again. Tux Droid is set to revolutionise the way Linux-loving info-junkies receive information about...well, about anything. That's because this incredibly smart penguin comes with open source software that allows you to program him to receive and interpret all kinds of cool stuff from the internet. The world is your lobster. Or something like that.

Spin and flaps around
Basically Tux Droid is a felt-covered desktop companion that utilises wireless technology to fetch information from the wonderful web and convey it to you in various charming ways. His accompanying USB fish transmitter (no, really!) beams info to him anywhere in the house, so he can alert you to incoming emails in the kitchen, RSS feeds in the front room, weather reports in the bathroom or breaking news in the bedroom. And he can do it by dancing, spinning, flapping or flashing - it's up to you. Simply get busy with the customisable (is that a word?) software. The possibilities are endless.

Tux Droid's USB fish transmitter beams info to him anywhere in the house

Remote Control
Believe it or not, Tux Droid also doubles up as a wireless VoIP phone, an MP3 speaker and an alarm clock that rouses you with any sound you fancy. And thanks to nifty sound sensors you can program him to function as an intruder alarm. He'll even tell you how dark it is and turn off your telly! Versatile? He makes Bruce Forsyth look like a one-trick pony!

Tux Droid's back

Connect the fish via USB
Oh yes, did we mention that Tux Droid can talk? It's true - thanks to clever text-to-speech jiggery pokery this groundbreaking robo-bird can actually tell you when you have an appointment by 'reading' your Google calendar. Astonishing! In fact the only thing Tux Droid can't do is magic himself from our warehouse to your home. So hurry up and hit the Buy button. Squawk!

teh'p3nsi0n3r
December 7th, 2007, 02:37 PM
haha this is brilliant! ive been trying to get my girlfriend to get me a penguin/tux to sit on my bed or beside my laptop, haha i think i know what i want for xmas! :) :lolflag:

Vadi
December 7th, 2007, 02:46 PM
"... you can run the following command: for f in *.wav; do sox $f -c 1 -r 8000 -b /tmp/$f; done. You can then upload your sounds in Tux Droid using the gtdi utility,..." hehe.

subs
December 7th, 2007, 03:05 PM
brilliant!!!

very innovative.....

RelativelyQuantum
January 4th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Does anyone know whether you have to have your computer turned on to use the droid, or does he have a direct network link like Nabaztag?

Dr Rude
December 8th, 2009, 05:26 PM
It is currently unavailable. DRAT!

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 8th, 2009, 08:20 PM
That's awesome! Haha. I love it.

fromthehill
December 8th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Text to speech in 12 languages, including English, French, Belgian, Swedish, German, Spanish, Danish, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, American English and Portuguese

belgian?:p

murderslastcrow
December 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I'm getting one for Christmas, actually! Can't wait.

speedwell68
December 9th, 2009, 12:15 AM
belgian?:p

So that would be Flemish then.:D