PDA

View Full Version : I Made a Big Stand Against AMDG

Bobetofilocos
December 6th, 2007, 05:21 AM
we just finish meeting the amdg guys requiring all cafe owners (here in ilocos sur) to licensed their OS's and programs and guess what im the only one didnt sign up and besides all of my game installer are caffe approved such as warcraft 111, never HESITATE to use linux cause penguin stand chest out.

loell
December 6th, 2007, 05:38 AM
tell us more, :KS , what's there reaction?

Bobetofilocos
December 6th, 2007, 06:03 AM
For cafe owners who are not aware of this AMDG represent MS, MS office, blizzard, EA, L2 and the list go on.... and they have OMB, NBI and PNP to use at their disposal hala!

when this guy handed out ang mga papel to be signed i refuse to do so kasi ni isa eh wala naman akong dapat ipalisensiya lol :)

some of cafe owners ask me if its possible linux on cafe? and i have the warmest smile on that hour (the penguin call attention) wooooohahh! even our association president didnt knew it that i use linux and im aware of legality issues and his not.

matter of typing this some of them come over to check it out
i show them my 64bit ubuntu gaming rig fully loaded in compis beryl
eyecandy, rotating desktop view (Now this is vista killer rig) playing L2, Dota, websurfing, amsn, upgrading at the same time, switching view at my mouse click (kulang na lang may mahulog na laway sa mga lintik na to.

i guess madadagdagan ang sideline ko (kasi i have offer to be their linux consultant) paying MS P7,460 for license is a bit too much for a small scale business. take note MS office is another license to pay (poor owner).

i guess the risk that i took has rewarded (its paycheck time and payback time para sa mga cafe owners who dominate because of illegal software)

My shop is full right now for they close theyre shops (for the meantime) natatakot siguro. LOL:)

sonofusion82
December 6th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Hi Bobetofilocos,
just curious, I would like to know about the general feedbacks from your customers? I am sure most of them are more familiar with Windows. How are they coping with it and how often they screw up when using Ubuntu?

kopinux
December 6th, 2007, 06:31 AM
maganda yan!

member ka ba ng ulop? www.ulop.net

maganda din kung member ka doon para meron silang kilala na all ubuntu cafe ang ginagamit.

loell
December 6th, 2007, 06:40 AM
sya nga pala, do you have pics of your cafe? post mo naman :lolflag:

especially ngayon na maraming tao, or busy ka siguro. ;)

kung ok lang sayo na e-share :)

Bobetofilocos
December 6th, 2007, 06:49 AM
To: sonofusion2

as i mentioned on other post i made i run ubuntu for nearly 3 years now, nung una medyo bumagal ang negosyo at mangilanngilan lang ang supported games ng wine but when i made it run i just launch the game for thembeside the click your places>recent documents>find frozen throne.exe and walla they can launch it for themselves. all application that you opened is recorded in there so try mong open mostly your non native games.

Sa office aps naman i tell them to save it in txt format so they can open it also in MS offices if they ask. i keep saving it by default so customers will be forced to keep using openoffice (one of my secret for keeping customer hahaha).

dont be afraid, as long as you can launch Dota for them to play your business will survive for the ff. months of transition.

Bobetofilocos
December 6th, 2007, 06:50 AM
loell i post later, got my shot now.

loell
December 6th, 2007, 06:58 AM
yey!! \\:D/

tnx in advance.

daengbo
December 6th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I'm not Filippino, so excuse my English, please.

I ran my lab in Thailand off of LTSP thin clients and it worked very well, though this is not appropriate for games. I also knew some guys in Europe who ran their cafe off of Knoppix on a DISKLESS server with tons of RAM, while all the clients were diskless, too. Clients felt very sure no data was save about them when the machines were turned off at night.

Good deal for you fighting the good fight and running real software. I hope the AMDG keeps the competition closed for a while so you can make money!

Samhain13
December 6th, 2007, 01:18 PM
It's good to hear about what's happened with you kabsat Bobetofilocos! I hope you get more extra-added income from your support services to your competitors. :D

Where in Ilocos are you? And yeah, as Jucato requests: agpost ka man ti pictures tapno makitami met ti shop mo.

Hello Daengbo, welcome to the Philippines. :)

eilu
December 6th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Sa office aps naman i tell them to save it in txt format so they can open it also in MS offices if they ask. i keep saving it by default so customers will be forced to keep using openoffice (one of my secret for keeping customer hahaha).

OOo can save in MS formats, although pag bukas sa MS usually umuurong margins. Sa school I save all my work as PDF's before I submit (pag online submission ng projects), para hindi macopy-paste ng ibang tao ang reports ko. bwahaha...

Bobetofilocos
December 7th, 2007, 05:53 AM
having a hard time uploading my shots at picassa lol
i'll post link later

adamorjames
December 7th, 2007, 06:09 AM
great to hear man

mitchi
December 7th, 2007, 06:19 AM
what are the softwares that needs to have licenses when in the computer cafe business? even the games that needs licenses?

Bobetofilocos
December 7th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Operating System such as windows 98,Me,2003,XP,Vista or any proprietory products except Linux.

Programs such as:

Microsoft Office (whatever version) except OpenOffice (linux of course)
Photoshop or whatever product except Gimp (its free),
Antivirus Program (we never encounter viruses in Linux like windows did)
All games that you will install except online games and linux native game (there are games that you need to pay such as Ankh which order ko pa sa europe from my kabit este friend LoL ^^)
But if you follow the Traditional Games like diablo, warcraft, etc.. all require license.

Now prepare your bank account and venture to never ending gastos sa lisensiya hahaha.

use linux and be set apart from the proprietory world of business.
always remember to use HOWTO,S.

loell
December 7th, 2007, 07:04 AM
whoah, you have ankh ? nice!!! :)

raxso
December 7th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Goodluck sa business mo at sana maka pasyal kami dyan... hehehehehe

mitchi
December 7th, 2007, 10:35 AM
All games that you will install except online games and linux native game (there are games that you need to pay such as Ankh which order ko pa sa europe from my kabit este friend LoL ^^)
But if you follow the Traditional Games like diablo, warcraft, etc.. all require license.

Definitely, kapag freeware, shareware or open source software, no need to pay for liscences. eh, how about for the tradional games? even if i would run it in ubuntu and install it in wine, would it still need the liscence?

raxso
December 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM
You need to buy license to all softwares that are not under GPL.... :)

mitchi
December 7th, 2007, 06:59 PM
You need to buy license to all softwares that are not under GPL.... :)

kahit running under linux? ganun ba un?

raxso
December 7th, 2007, 08:11 PM
kahit running under linux? ganun ba un?

kahit na running siya under linux kung hindi naman siya under ng GPL ay kailangn mo pa rin ng license, ang GPL nga eh license din at kailangn mo ring sundin ang nasa saad sa license... :)

Vadi
December 7th, 2007, 08:16 PM
That's great news man :)