PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu user's opinion on Fedora 8

raxso
December 5th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Do you think Fedora 8 can compete with Ubuntu 7.10?
Fedora 8 was recently released and a lot of people thinking that the Werewolf would eat the Gibbon. I am using Fedora for the server and Ubuntu as a desktop, and quite interesting to note that Fedora 8 interface for desktop can compete with Ubuntu, It is such that it's hard for me to configure my wireless that work flawlessly in Ubuntu.

Odd-rationale
December 5th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I don't think Linux distros should be "competing" with each other...

kopinux
December 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM
okay ang fedora8, okay lang, maganda para sa advance user.
kaso wala silang shipit.

daxumaming
December 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I don't think Linux distros should be "competing" with each other...

But because of competition, doon gumaganda mga distro. The more competitive a distro is, the more others are forced to keep up and make their favorite distro better. Besides, competition is the essence of Open Source. Look what happened to Mandriva vs Fedora a few years back. Users from both sides keep on flaming each other. Who won? Both! Mandriva and Fedora are much much better than before. Now look at the Big3.. Ubuntu vs. SUSE vs. Fedora. Each gets better with every release, partly because of user complaining that SUSE has that, how come we don't? The next thing you know, the next release has that feature as well. And that's all because of competition.

pinoyskull
December 6th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I think Fedora is still ahead a bit but Im still sticking to Ubuntu because of the community.

raxso
December 7th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Sa pamamagitan ng competition nagiging maunlad at lalong gumaganda ang isang produkto. gaya ng Microsoft at Apple dati at ngayun ang Linux.

daxumaming
December 7th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Ok, back to topic.. can Fedora compete with Ubuntu? Here's my 2 opinions:

1) Package Management
The last Fedora I've tried is FC6. Back then, Yum is a little bit behind Apt. If I remember correctly, I think Yum broke some packages before which caused Eric Raymond to migrate to Ubuntu. I may be wrong on this - too lazy to Google - but it's that or someone uploaded a package that broke something. Now I'm not sure how good Yum is on FC8, I do hope it's better though.

2) DVD Install ISO vs. Installable Live CD and Shipit
Now this would depend on how fast your connection is. Some people would prefer to have all their applications on DVD, this way they don't have to bother downloading packages from the net. And then there are those who love the Installable Live CDs. I find it ironic though that those who have slower connection prefer the DVD ISO over the CD ISO. I'm thinking that they'd rather sacrifice a couple of days downloading the ISO and not worry about installing apps over the internet once installed. Why? 'coz all the apps they need is on the DVD. I can't say much for Ubuntu's CD ISO though, but I think Shipit CDs makes Ubuntu better than Fedora. Why? Because Ubuntu has managed to reach users without internet connection (or those still on dial-up) at home.

raxso
December 7th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I tried F7 and F8 and the packages are quite stable now using YUM while Ubuntu since they are using debian the installation are quite easier and smooth. they do have like shipit but it is limited to first 100 request for the month i think this is their quota ..... Im using Fedora 7 for server and Ubuntu for desktop. :)

pinoyskull
December 7th, 2007, 11:52 PM
correction lang mga dudes, FC stops at 6, F7 and F8 na dapat tawag ngayon :)

yron87
December 27th, 2007, 03:19 AM
correction lang mga dudes, FC stops at 6, F7 and F8 na dapat tawag ngayon :)

Ha edi stop na sila after ng F12??? kasi sunod don "Print Screen" na.... hehehe biro lang po :)

belated merry xmas sa lahat! :)