PDA

View Full Version : The "defend your signature" thread

eivind
December 5th, 2007, 11:26 AM
A lot of people here use signatures. These should be well thought out, as your signature shows on every post you make.
Even so, people often have (to me) strange, unintelligible or plain stupid signatures, as some have (to me) witty, funny and humorous signatures.

Therefore, I hereby welcome you to defend your choice of signature, as well as having a go on mine. Of course, some of you will find my signature childish and stupid, and I welcome you to tell me. Let me have it!

In defense of my signature, I like its short length, its lack of irritating links (http://link.link.link), CAPITALS and colours, <---**^^¨¨symbols¨¨^^**---> or :guitar: animated smilies, and of course: Its slightly political, tounge-in-cheek pun. Puns are good.

OK. Your turn. What does my signature deserve?

Eivind

stoodleysnow
December 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I stand by what I signature'd.[-(=;;-)

eivind
December 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Hm. A bit too long? And doesn't it state the obvious? :)

stoodleysnow
December 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Why, yes. Get ye not the joke?:KS

I am mad and I know it, therefore I have no problem.
And you'll be daft when my Dad grows up....0_0

eivind
December 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM
It seems I fall within the wrong category here: Those that are mad, don't know it, and don't get the joke. :-)

SeanHodges
December 5th, 2007, 11:40 AM
My signature is the best.

I sat staring at the signature entry box for a long time before settling for this one.

eivind
December 5th, 2007, 11:44 AM
AAAHHH! The empty signature trap! Heeeelp me! The pain.... inbearable.... [gasp]

Ah, seriously, come on, lad. Can't you just cough up something?

sethvath
December 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM
*cough *cough does not look better than a blank space

aimran
December 5th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Err, what's a signature?

SeanHodges
December 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Well I could, but then I would have to defend it. Besides, I like its short length, its lack of irritating links (http://link.link.link), CAPITALS and colours, <---**^^¨¨symbols¨¨^^**---> or :guitar: animated smilies, and of course: Its slightly political, tounge-in-cheek pun.

....wait...

gn2
December 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I'm guessing you might not like mine, but I'm happy with it.

eivind
December 5th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Err, what's a signature?

Whatever is under the line at the bottom of all your posts. You set your signature in your ubuntuforums control panel, and then you come here and make fun of your own and other's signatures. :p

@gn2: No, I quite like your signature. It's a fine representation of a signature to annoy me, and i heartily deserve that.

billgoldberg
December 5th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I like mine, and it's true.

Case made !

n3tfury
December 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM
A lot of people here use signatures. These should be well thought out, as your signature shows on every post you make.
Even so, people often have (to me) strange, unintelligible or plain stupid signatures, as some have (to me) witty, funny and humorous signatures.

Therefore, I hereby welcome you to defend your choice of signature, as well as having a go on mine. Of course, some of you will find my signature childish and stupid, and I welcome you to tell me. Let me have it!

In defense of my signature, I like its short length, its lack of irritating links (http://link.link.link), CAPITALS and colours, <---**^^¨¨symbols¨¨^^**---> or :guitar: animated smilies, and of course: Its slightly political, tounge-in-cheek pun. Puns are good.

OK. Your turn. What does my signature deserve?

Eivind

I couldn't care less if my sig bothers anybody. Especially you.

eivind
December 5th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I couldn't care less if my sig bothers anybody. Especially you.

How now! Calm down. You don't have to care if your signature bothers anybody, the meaning of this thread is to have fun with it. We are lucky enough to be able to spend time on unimportant things - use the opportunity. And of course, I'm not bothered by your signature, it's just slightly boring :), and your reply slightly amusing :biggrin:

notwen
December 5th, 2007, 03:30 PM
to each their own

gvoima
December 5th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I borrowed mine, can't remember from where, but I like it :) (I think it was a quote that Torvalds made, not sure?)
And it's so true ^^

eivind
December 5th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I hope that doesn't mean you have experience with the opposite?:shock:

fuscia
December 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM
at least, yours is brief. good for you. when do you start your war, btw?

hanzomon4
December 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I borrowed mine, can't remember from where, but I like it :) (I think it was a quote that Torvalds made, not sure?)
And it's so true ^^

I like that one...

I like mine as well, a friend passed it on to me.

gvoima
December 5th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I hope that doesn't mean you have experience with the opposite?:shock:Well I don't.
Women should never be put in that position anyways :(

hanzomon4
December 5th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Ah, but what about men?

Nano Geek
December 5th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Here's mine.
Nothing much exciting about it.
Except for my pretty Christmas colors. :D

gvoima
December 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Ah, but what about men?Haha, true :)
But I think they can handle it ;)

Rhubarb
December 5th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Mine is just my work ethic.
Plain, simple, to the point.
It is a bit boring, no humour or much else.

eivind
December 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM
at least, yours is brief. good for you. when do you start your war, btw?

Good one. I'm actually beginning to grow a bit tired of it, having seen it too many times now.

@hanzomon4: Yes, you can hardly go wrong with a Gandhi. Nice!

eivind
December 5th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Well I don't.
Women should never be put in that position anyways :(

Oops. Sorry. I meant non-free software :oops:

hanzomon4
December 5th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Haha, true :)
But I think they can handle it ;)

I don't think that's fair, men are not emotionally dead or impervious to desperation. I would be pretty broken if I had to stand on a street corner and have sex for money with women(what hot women pay for sex?) or worse.... Men!!! Not to mention men are not rape proof either.

Ok, Ok OT, sorry....

Kingsley
December 5th, 2007, 04:08 PM
My signature reminds me that Fela Kuti is the ******* man.

gn2
December 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I like mine, and it's true.

I agree. Mr Dawkins is often wrong.

hackle577
December 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I figured since I haven't changed it in a while, I might as well do it now.

The first line is an obvious reference to the whole LOLcat phenomenon.

The second line is just links to my blog, bookmarks, and a funny webcomic.

-grubby
December 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I try to keep mine useful

eivind
December 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Ah. Subtle cross-referencing there: Referring to your avatar in your signature.

My new signature (signature instability alert!) is just a boring reference to one of my interests, but I'm trying it because the interest is far from boring :-)

EDIT: I realized that if I change my signature now, it would make many of my other posts nonsense (if they aren't already). Therefore, I'm changing it back. Almost.

Iceni
December 5th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Well, my signature is a link to the against tcpa website, because I think it is important. The second link it to the starcraft2 website, because I was and still am a fan of the original. I am also a moderator at teamliquid.net, the premier starcraft site.

Last the forza ferrari is a scream of joy after the fantastic world championship victory by the Ferrari F1 team in 2007.

Lostincyberspace
December 5th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I have a fairly simple signature with a couple links to threads that I like here.

Vadi
December 5th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I use it to advertise useful stuff, and occasionally remove the top line to add something on the bottom when a new thing comes up.

n3tfury
December 5th, 2007, 05:51 PM
How now! Calm down. You don't have to care if your signature bothers anybody, the meaning of this thread is to have fun with it. We are lucky enough to be able to spend time on unimportant things - use the opportunity. And of course, I'm not bothered by your signature, it's just slightly boring :), and your reply slightly amusing :biggrin:

slightly boring to look at maybe, but apparently you don't click links. not saying my blog isn't boring - it is, but i only used it for my own amusement.

n3tfury
December 5th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I try to keep mine useful

from your sig:

like my avatar?

how is that useful?

popch
December 5th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I have no defense. It's just a pun, sort of.

lswest
December 5th, 2007, 06:00 PM
lol i decided on the email link in my sig in case people want to ask me a specific question about a post, it saves them hunting for it:P i usually use pictures in my signatures with my username, but i was too lazy this time around:P so i went for the "utilitarian" signature this time lol

zeller
December 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Hopefully mine will cause people to use simpler ways of describing what I need to do to get something working or installed. I can copy and paste code like any fool but I'd like things explained to me: 1. Because I'm new to Linux, 2. Because it's fun to learn what every line of text actually does.

Also, spankin' is a funny word and it works in the context of my sig. Who hasn't heard "brand spankin' new" before?

sisco311
December 5th, 2007, 06:44 PM
My signature it's a unix howto.

Try it on your own risk. :)

stalker145
December 6th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Mine is a combination of who I am (Ubuntu user), advertising (user map), funny (Abbott and Costello), and frustration (the rest).

Stalker's law is a bastardization of Godwin's law and 'orz' is representative of my banging my head on the floor in frustration.

@sisco311 - I friggin' love that sig!

SomeGuyDude
December 6th, 2007, 04:26 AM
My signature and my avatar are related, and if you don't understand how then you're no longer my friend.

LaRoza
December 6th, 2007, 04:29 AM
My signature and my avatar are related, and if you don't understand how then you're no longer my friend.

The Prestige, good movie.

My sig is meant to be useful. The link in my sig is a solution to my problem of refering people to specific links in my sig, mostly, the SGD and GParted, but to save space, I put them on my wiki, and can now refer easily to my sig.

"You should use GParted, see the link in my sig"

achron
December 6th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Defend it? Well...

It's a fine quote from my favorite author of all time...

p_quarles
December 6th, 2007, 04:42 AM
My sig serves two purposes:
1) To inform the people that, yes, I did say what I said.
2) To inform people that, no, you should not run Bash commands without having some basic understanding of what they do.

Spr0k3t
December 6th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Mine is pretty cut and dry with useful information and a bit about me. I tried to cram more in there but couldn't. Hell, anything is better than the animated graphic thing for a signature.

herbster
December 6th, 2007, 04:59 AM
I have a quotes.doc file that is about 150 pages of 9pt font, full of quotes, and this and a Theodore Roosevelt one are my favourites.

steveneddy
December 6th, 2007, 05:15 AM
I like my sig.

science4sail
December 6th, 2007, 05:44 AM
It's "Hello, world" in Malbolge, the impossible ternary programming language...

yabbadabbadont
December 6th, 2007, 05:53 AM
What are these "signatures" of which you speak? I never see them... then again, I have them turned off in my profile. :p :D

PurposeOfReason
December 6th, 2007, 05:54 AM
If I remember right, mine is just a message to new users so they don't blow their system up. Tried to make it stand out a bit, don't know if it works.

FuturePilot
December 6th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Just a few links in my sig. And I like this smiley :-s so I stuck it in there too. :)

blithen
December 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM
My ubuntu user number
Two quotes I found very interesting/funny
then a warning to new users.

tak1150
December 6th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Shamelessly I just advertise my blog in my sig ;-)
But I have been thinking about changing it to something more profound like some of you guys have. I appreciate this thread, b/c it makes me think about it harder.

blithen,
I really like the way you show your location

Fred_E _krugar
December 6th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Mine is for the people that question your answer.

Wnutt
December 6th, 2007, 08:29 AM
You do care about pre-historical computer history... do you ?

Hum, that's my job actually. :redface:

Dixon Bainbridge
December 6th, 2007, 09:57 AM
If anyone can be bothered to do a YouTube Search for Bob Fossil dance, you'll understand the context of my avatar and sig. Or you could just go do something interesting instead.

loell
December 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM
should this be also a "Criticize other users signature?"

if so, here are some of what i don't like..

1. Registered Linux user # : is there really such thing? its just a counter for crying out loud!

2. Quoting other forum members : for what? IMHO there can only be two things for doing this, either for pun towards the quoted member or to please them ( could be a way of publicly saying i like to be your buddy and I admire you a lot? and i will always agree in every comment you say in the forum ) many of this qoute are long and occupies to much post space.

other than that, i like sigs.

n3tfury
December 6th, 2007, 10:54 AM

1. Registered Linux user # : is there really such thing? its just a counter for crying out loud!

2. Quoting other forum members : for what? IMHO there can only be two things for doing this, either for pun towards the quoted member or to please them ( could be a way of publicly saying i like to be your buddy and I admire you a lot? and i will always agree in every comment you say in the forum ) many of this qoute are long and occupies to much post space.

agreed. there should be a stricter size limit also.

luca.b
December 6th, 2007, 11:06 AM
My signature has one of my favorite quotes from Asimov's Foundation and also a shameless plug to the books I write.

Dixon Bainbridge
December 6th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Actually, I think sigs should contain nothing but a picture of your favourite type of cheese.

loell
December 6th, 2007, 11:42 AM
agreed. there should be a stricter size limit also.

yeah, worth proposing to the forum feedback.

n3tfury
December 6th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Actually, I think sigs should contain nothing but a picture of your favourite type of cheese.

stop the press. everyone should go in this direction. i'm not kidding.

staticvoid
December 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM
hi everybody

sethvath
December 6th, 2007, 12:09 PM

You would think people do not like to be branded with a random number, then the registered linux users come out of their closets to surprise you.

Quoting other forum members might be to illustrate a statement/sentence they agree with - the statement not the person.

I quote Scott Adams, creator of Dilbert in my signature but that does not mean I'm in love with him or even read Dilbert.

Nekiruhs
December 6th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I thought it was a witty chemistry joke based on Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. I stand by it too.

de_valentin
December 6th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Read this once somewhere thought it was funny but it was allready taken

This is my sig. There are many like it but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sig is useless. Without my sig I am useless.

I don't know no real reason or big thought on this one, I thought it was kinda funny, and true.

And to the op if you dislike some sigs that much you will probably not like the people that stand by it because they will be equally colorful or whatever.

popch
December 6th, 2007, 01:49 PM
My signature has (...) also a shameless plug to the books I write.

An inordinately short book it is. Just three words: You are banned

I think that the cast is quite all right, but the plot could use some elaboration.

tak1150
December 6th, 2007, 04:17 PM

1. Yeah. Unless it's a really small number like <100, it's not so cool. I'd like to meet the person that has Linux user # 1 though.

2. I agree for the most part, but some of those quotes are interesting to read.

@popch,
I like you sig. my kind of humor :)

popch
December 6th, 2007, 04:25 PM
1. Yeah. Unless it's a really small number like <100, it's not so cool. I'd like to meet the person that has Linux user # 1 though.

2. I agree for the most part, but some of those quotes are interesting to read.

@popch,
I like you sig. my kind of humor :)

Why, thank you.

I would dearly like to be Linux user #1E7 or even 1E8.

Znort_Ubern00b
December 6th, 2007, 04:26 PM
My signature is my internet name and the other as well as being a well known phrase is the name of my machine and wireless network

shen-an-doah
December 10th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Shameless plugs for my blog and my band.

I should change it... :-/

Achetar
December 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM
My sig is a conversation (or part of it) between William Wiberforce and William Pitt. I heard it on Amazing Grace, thought it was funny, liked it, put it up here.

Cheers!