PDA

View Full Version : Applications randomly shutting down lately?

SomeGuyDude
December 4th, 2007, 10:35 PM
This is only in the past week, and I'm not putting this in a "help" topic because far as I can tell there's not much I can do about it, so I'm putting it here to see if I'm the only one.

It seems like every so often something just shuts down without warning. Specifically three things: Compiz, AWN, and Swiftweasel. Everything's going cool, then the screen blips out and all my desktop effects are gone, or the dock vanishes, or SW fades out. I restart and things are back to normal for a while, until it shuts down again.

Anyone else running into this lately? I'm wondering if it's an update problem.

blithen
December 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Sounds like to me it's a Compiz problem. Try running without Compiz for awhile. And post the results.

smartboyathome
December 4th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I used to have problems with Compiz where it took up all the memory and forced some apps to close. I eventually moved to E17, and after installing opera I haven't any more crashes.

chrisccoulson
December 4th, 2007, 11:07 PM
This is only in the past week, and I'm not putting this in a "help" topic because far as I can tell there's not much I can do about it, so I'm putting it here to see if I'm the only one.

It seems like every so often something just shuts down without warning. Specifically three things: Compiz, AWN, and Swiftweasel. Everything's going cool, then the screen blips out and all my desktop effects are gone, or the dock vanishes, or SW fades out. I restart and things are back to normal for a while, until it shuts down again.

Anyone else running into this lately? I'm wondering if it's an update problem.

I've had this problem with Compiz Fusion on Gutsy since Day One. The effects you are seeing is probably Compiz Fusion crashing, and dropping back to Metacity. I get this 4 - 5 times a day on a stock Gutsy install running Compiz, and I don't do anything specific to trigger it.

Check out /var/crash to see if there are any crash reports. If you double click on them, you can report the crashes to Launchpad.

Neg
December 29th, 2007, 05:32 AM
I was going to make a new thread, but instead I thought I'd just bump this one. Ever since I installed Gusty, Gimp and Firefox will just close randomly, and it's a problem for me because those are the main two programs I use. Is there any way to make it stop?

Sonic Earth
February 17th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I am also having this problem. I am running Gutsy. Pidgin and Firefox will just randomly quit without warning. I suspect it may be a Compiz problem so I will try running without it for a while.