PDA

View Full Version : need help helping a friend

900donuts
December 4th, 2007, 04:35 PM
i have a friend that works for the California lottery and his office uses linux unfortunately from what he tall me the systems are crap (they shut down around noon every day forcing every one to go to lunch), the office is locked into some contract and the offices IT can't try to fix it because they are afraid of violating the contract

so any ways he doesn't know what disrto he's running what should i tell him to do to find out?

thanks in advance!:)

900donuts
December 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Yikes!

Wrong Place I Meant To Put This In The Cafe Not Cafe Games Forget You Ever Saw This

900donuts
December 4th, 2007, 04:52 PM
i have a friend that works for the California lottery and his office uses linux unfortunately from what he tall me the systems are crap (they shut down around noon every day forcing every one to go to lunch), the office is locked into some contract and the offices IT can't try to fix it because they are afraid of violating the contract

so any ways he doesn't know what disrto he's running what should i tell him to do to find out?

thanks in advance!

popch
December 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM
He should find out how much time the contract allows from your reporting an error until a service rep appears at your site and starts fixing the problem.

900donuts
December 4th, 2007, 08:33 PM
there is probably more errors than what he has told me and the error could not really be error but inconveniently configured settings so it the some sort of command that could be typed in the terminal that could tell him some information about his computer so he could tell me and then i could start helping him

Tundro Walker
December 5th, 2007, 03:27 AM
This sounds like a legal issue, not a technical one. If there's a third-party contractor maintaning the systems, and they're doing a poor job of it, then your friend should file a complaint through the proper channels.

If the proper channels are not helping, then they should escalate it up the chain of command, or laterally to another department that might help. This, sadly, might involve going around the boss. But, that doesn't mean doing it behind their back. Your friend can just mention to their boss that they're dissatisfied with the way things are working, and haven't seen any timely resolution when following proper chain of command. So, they had to resort to going around the chain of command. That's a very touchy way of doing things, though, and could cause some friction between them and the boss going forward.

Governments are notorious for over-complicating contracts while still getting the worse service money can buy. It almost always stems from a) going with the lowest bidder, and b) the person writing up the contract usually doesn't know much about the service being contracted, so the contractor can find loopholes to get away with things.

The computers really shouldn't be something your friend should covertly tweak on. It could violate the contract, even if he makes it better, and could lead to civil or criminal action.

No good deed goes unpunished....

Sad to say, but your friend will most likely have to keep putting up with the red tape until the contract is up and he can perhaps put in his two cents about a better contractor to use in the future.