PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a DIY oil submerged linux server ...leds power automation etc

Hortinstein
December 4th, 2007, 02:35 AM
So a little background...

after seeing a video on digg a few weeks ago about a computer being able to run entirely (with exception to hard drive) under mineral oil, I decided to turn an old PC, with modest specs that I dont use into an ubuntu server running in oil. This wouldn't be too difficult, but i really wanted to add a few cool things to it and make it have some style (steampunk type of stuff).

Before I embark on this project I decided that there were a few things I wanted.

1) I really want to be able to control LEDs through shell scripts and SSH. I found this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=99082&highlight=controlling+lights
and this should suit my needs. This is so I can turn on all of the lighting for the server through SSH, hopefully through my OpenMoko cell phone. I might even have event driven light things related to temperature, connection status etc.

2) Bubbles rising from the bottom are a must. I have found a simple aquarium pump for this, and it should not be a problem to disquise it with the steampunk type theme I am looking towards. The hard part with this is I would also like to control this via SSH. I have been looking through home automation pages and everything, but I think all I need is a simple serial? power strip controller. I am not the best with hardware, so fabricating my own probably wouldnt be the best idea.

3) an LCD on the front showing Uptime, download, upload, and temperature. I have found on these forums that and LCDproc compatable LCD is my best bet, but if anyone has a good place to purchase a pre assembled Serial one I would love to know

sorry if this isnt the right place for this, but I figured someone would be able to help

I will totally post pictures when this is finished too, it should be pretty cool