PDA

View Full Version : spinoff from what non-geeks want thread, a true test

svtfmook
December 4th, 2007, 12:33 AM
spinoff from this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=199744

anyhow, i've been showing my father some stuff from my system. my father is a retired 62 year old fart. he's been using windows for some years now, but he's not what i would consider a "power user". he knows the basics with windows. pretty much your everyday user. i built him a system for fathers day this year, it's an AMD 5200 AM2 system, with 2GB DDR2-800, 7300GT video card, 250GB system.

he currently uses his computer for web browsing, mail/news reader, and then he uses it to run a dyno system for his RC cars (big time RC car racer).

anyhow, he told me today that he'd like to try out ubuntu since he likes what i've showed him. so i'll be going to his house sometime this week to install ubuntu on his system. he's going to dual boot so he can still run his RC car tuning stuff, but everything else will be ubuntu.

i figured this will be a good subject on finding out what non-geek everyday unbiased users will like/dislike about ubuntu/linux.

i'll update this thread as he progresses with things.

my mother is also thinking of installing it on her system, which is another computer i built for her on mother's day. her's is also an AMD 5200 AM2, 2GB DDR2-800 and a 7900GS. but she is more into video editing and photo manipulation (she's an avid photographer).

-grubby
December 4th, 2007, 12:48 AM
so what's your question? But otherwise, your parents sound very eager to try ubuntu

happysmileman
December 4th, 2007, 12:57 AM
so what's your question? But otherwise, your parents sound very eager to try ubuntu

I think he means he's going to do it and post updates or something?

n3tfury
December 4th, 2007, 12:59 AM

why would you assume he'd have a question?

-grubby
December 4th, 2007, 01:05 AM

I don't know...it kinda sounded like he was building up to something

svtfmook
December 4th, 2007, 01:29 AM
it's not a question. more like an announcement.

ryanVickers
December 4th, 2007, 01:36 AM
I think he means he's going to do it and post updates or something?

it's not a question. more like an announcement.

This just seemed like a funny thread because of all these comment, so I"ll quote them all an reply so I'm not left out :p

But it sounds like good progress for Ubuntu! :D

n3tfury
December 4th, 2007, 02:30 AM
This just seemed like a funny thread because of all these comment, so I"ll quote them all an reply so I'm not left out :p

But it sounds like good progress for Ubuntu! :D

except you got the order wrong. good job.

ryanVickers
December 4th, 2007, 02:36 AM
except you got the order wrong. good job.

yeah, it always does that for some reason... lol