PDA

View Full Version : What do you want for Christmas?

beercz
December 3rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
OK, wish list time.

I want a webcam that works with Skype 2 on linux.

What do you want for Christmas?

-grubby
December 3rd, 2007, 06:11 PM
an LCD monitor and/or a new keyboard

n3tfury
December 3rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
an LCD monitor and/or a new keyboard

widescreen?

-grubby
December 3rd, 2007, 06:17 PM
widescreen?

just a new LCD, what's the advantage of widescreens?

Kingsley
December 3rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
Some clothes, a pair of shoes, and a big bottle of Evan Williams bourbon. It's not too much, though I don't see the latter happening :D.

n3tfury
December 3rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
movies mostly. although a computer monitor is 16x10, "letterboxed" movies are 16x9. alot of people watch dvd's on their sets and more and more shows are being shown in widescreen. thank goodness.

-grubby
December 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
movies mostly. although a computer monitor is 16x10, "letterboxed" movies are 16x9. alot of people watch dvd's on their sets and more and more shows are being shown in widescreen. thank goodness.

I don't usually watch DVDs on my computer though

svtfmook
December 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
my wife is taking me to the strip club for christmas!

and my birthday.

well, we go once a month, so it's nothing new.

bobbocanfly
December 3rd, 2007, 06:26 PM
Im getting a Wii but will also probably buy a WD MyBook 2 750gb and a new Widescreen Monitor and set the other one up for a second monitor for the laptop as my desktop doesnt support multi-monitor.

Oh and i would like a OLPC Laptop, new USB 2.0 Card, a Mac mini (to Ubuntify, add USB wireless dongle and duct tape to the inside of my Wardrobe to have as a server)

I would also like a really old laptop that i can break and set up as a music server, mounted on my wall playing tunes and showing visualizations. Now that would be fit.

speedwell68
December 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
All the bits to finish the brake upgrade on my 1968 Volkswagen Bus and a set of alloys wheels for the old girl too.

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/z/user/3/7/8/7/1/mod_my_ride/vehicle_1494_2_1195861212.JPG

boast
December 3rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
mx revolution mouse and some black tee's

aroth87
December 3rd, 2007, 06:33 PM
A nice LCD TV. Right now I'm using my roommate's spare 20" CRT. Really anything better than that would make me happy.
A new mouse would be nice too. Who knew clicking the wheel to both open and close tabs would wear it out prematurely? :)
A desk chair. Any kind. I'm using a spare chair from the kitchen table since we never sit there anyway. Its not very comfortable though.
And a handful of fun gear for backpacking.

Adam

n3tfury
December 3rd, 2007, 06:48 PM

neither do i, but alot of games support widescreen too. it's going to be harder and harder to find one that's NOT 16x10 - same with a new TV, they're all going wide.

dimbulb1024
December 3rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
Whirled Peas :D

the.dark.lord
December 3rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
A good microscope....

Dragonbite
December 3rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
Broadband internet connection.

(and/or 3 LCD monitors.. 2 VGA hookup for thin-clients, 1 DVI hookup for graphics fatclient ... plus Mice and Keyboards)

Whiffle
December 3rd, 2007, 09:41 PM
I second the Whirled Peas.

I honestly have no idea what i want for christmas, other than whirled peas.

fedex1993
December 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM
umm two 24 inch lg 2ms gaming monitors, some 5.1 surround sound speakers for my tv and then 7.1 surround sound for my desktop/laptop and then maybe a new thinkpad or or toshiba laptop.

dimbulb1024
December 3rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
I second the Whirled Peas.

I honestly have no idea what i want for christmas, other than whirled peas.

I just thought about this one: winning lottery numbers. Then I could get anything I wanted !:guitar:
(to clarify, for the next lotto, not past ones :)

beercz
December 3rd, 2007, 10:36 PM
What are whirled peas?

klange
December 3rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
GeForce 7800 for my ancient PCI-e-less box and OpenGL Programming Guide Sixth Edition (which I already bought, but it's a Christmas present for myself)

misconfiguration
December 3rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
I want... beer and a special gift from the old lady.

wo0tsauce!

jflaker
December 3rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Quad core system with 1TB drive and a NAS with 2TB online. I even heard that there are dual quads out now! Well out of anyone's price range for any of it, so maybe a few dual core boxes to put Linux on to play with clustering

In reality, I will probably get clothes.

natille
December 3rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
Just say it aloud and you'll get the gist of it.

Siph0n
December 3rd, 2007, 10:49 PM
DVD Movies.... clothes....

new2*buntu
December 3rd, 2007, 10:53 PM
A RAM upgrade for the laptop in my sig, to play opensource games such as tremulous.

init1
December 3rd, 2007, 11:44 PM
An OLPC laptop

gnomeuser
December 4th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I want my girlfriends parents who are traditional brazilian catholics to talk to me instead of calling me a monster who will ruin her life and forbid her to see me at pain of getting cut out of the family.. If only they would talk to me I hope they would see I am really a nice guy and that I love her.

That's all I want..

KiwiNZ
December 4th, 2007, 12:26 AM
My Government to approve the Medication I need to walk again .

Ultra Magnus
A Fischer Space Pen.

Don't you just hate when you're writing in zero g and there's no pencils around!

n3tfury
I want my girlfriends parents who are traditional brazilian catholics to talk to me instead of calling me a monster who will ruin her life and forbid her to see me at pain of getting cut out of the family.. If only they would talk to me I hope they would see I am really a nice guy and that I love her.

That's all I want..

ouch :( gl man

Tux Aubrey
December 4th, 2007, 12:33 AM
For everyone to get what they want - especially KiwiNZ!

I was hoping for a 3 day coma (so that I can avoid Xmas with my wife's family)

A wacom Intuos3 graphics tablet would also be nice.

a 2kg brown trout on dry fly - priceless

and whirled peas.

and lots of nookie.:)

onion221
December 4th, 2007, 12:43 AM
mx revolution mouse and some black tee'sI have one, they are sweet but I cant get it to work in linux. I'm going to try this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=219894 later on.

PetePete
December 4th, 2007, 01:09 AM
the Asus Eee PC 701 looks very interesting, especially as it comes with some form of linux installed and its possible to install ubuntu with minimal fuss...

Asus Eee PC 701 is an ultra-portable solid state laptop, really small and really light and really cheap .... downside is the 7" display ...
http://www.firebox.com/pic/p2034h.jpg
you can't really tell the size from the photo though

onion221
December 4th, 2007, 01:11 AM
the Asus Eee PC 701 looks very interesting, especially as it comes with some form of linux installed and its possible to install ubuntu with minimal fuss...

Asus Eee PC 701 is an ultra-portable solid state laptop, really small and really light and really cheap .... downside is the 7" display ...
you can't really tell the size from the photo thoughheres the size http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMjIW5qyq3s&eurl=http://www.fotofabrikas.lt/en/items/Asus/Notebook/4c17ea.4-Asus-Eee-PC-701;USD.html

yipeskop
December 4th, 2007, 01:18 AM
I want to upgrade my RAM to 2Gb and want a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS for some awesome gaming :cool:

Iceni
December 4th, 2007, 02:10 AM
All the bits to finish the brake upgrade on my 1968 Volkswagen Bus and a set of alloys wheels for the old girl too.

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/z/user/3/7/8/7/1/mod_my_ride/vehicle_1494_2_1195861212.JPG

Aw man I envy you! I've wanted one of those forever!

Looks really nice !

toupeiro
December 4th, 2007, 02:14 AM
World Peace...

or

http://www.fraoch.com/pics/fraoch.jpg

Iceni
December 4th, 2007, 02:15 AM
I don't really want anything for christmas, because I own everything I need and want. Well, maybe another guitar for the 360 and two more wiimotes if I have to wish for something.

And I hope you all get what you want, esp KiwiNZ and gnomeuser.

EDIT: What I really really want is some Blue Moon beer, something that seems impossible to get in Norway.

D-EJ915
December 4th, 2007, 05:16 AM
I'm gonna go with, nice grades this semester :3

Nano Geek
December 4th, 2007, 05:59 AM
My two front teeth. ;)

KiwiNZ
December 4th, 2007, 06:01 AM
My two front teeth. ;)

I did that to my son one year .
Damm it was funny seeing the look on his face

macogw
December 4th, 2007, 07:24 AM

you can't really tell the size from the photo though

Xandros, I think. Brunellus has one. It's pretty.

For Generic Winter Gift-Giving, I want a PS2 Guitar Hero controller and PS2 -> PS3 converter so I can play Frets on Fire more comfortably.

vikramsharma
December 4th, 2007, 07:31 AM

That's all I want..

Hope you get what you want, Best Wishes.

dimbulb1024
December 4th, 2007, 07:32 AM
What are whirled peas?
It's a play on World Peace - ever seen the bumper stickers that say Visualize World Peace, well they have ones that say Visualize Whirled Peas.

popch
December 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM
heres the size http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMjIW5qyq3s&eurl=http://www.fotofabrikas.lt/en/items/Asus/Notebook/4c17ea.4-Asus-Eee-PC-701;USD.html

Where did they find someone with hands that huge?

beercz
December 4th, 2007, 10:24 AM
It's a play on World Peace - ever seen the bumper stickers that say Visualize World Peace, well they have ones that say Visualize Whirled Peas.
Thanks for this - never heard this expression before, nor have I seen the bumper stickers.

Dixon Bainbridge
December 4th, 2007, 10:35 AM
To see the look on my 22month old daughters face when she opens her presents.

I'm too old for Chrimbo, its for kids.

jeremy
December 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I would like no Christmas!

PmDematagoda
December 4th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Let's see......either an Nvidia 8800 or Intel Quad, or wait, I got it.

A W960:lolflag:. I hate the 6600 I currently have, it simply sucks as you can't do anything at all.

Stex
December 4th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I would like no Christmas!
Evil but true, I'd rather be grumpy and no-one got anything. Things are too hectic and I don't like hectic.

As it stands though I just want to get the right present for my girlfriend to make her truly happy. For both events (damn December birthdays)

omns
December 4th, 2007, 02:22 PM
World Peace ;)

graabein
December 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
On my wishlist I've got a new frying pan, Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii, backpack for hiking, sweater, scarf and some CD's.

Computer-wise I'd like to install the newest Ubuntu and wipe Windows XP completely. For that to happen I have to get City of Heroes to run without errors through Cedega.

I'd also like to get a media center installed on the Wii so I'm able to stream mp3 and divx over LAN. A real media center with no trusted-blackbox-backdoor-phoning home and logging user activity, and with working lookup to imdb and musicbrainz...

Why do they call it trusted? I don't trust it. They don't trust people, that's the problem.

Tristam Green
December 4th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks for this - never heard this expression before, nor have I seen the bumper stickers.

Ben and Jerry's even did a play on it once, with their Dave Matthews Band-inspired flavor "One Sweet Whirled" :D

edit: I want a Wii, some new tires for my car, and to lose 15 pounds :-O

beercz
December 4th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Ben and Jerry's even did a play on it once, with their Dave Matthews Band-inspired flavor "One Sweet Whirled" :D
Whirld peas must be an American term then.

jpittack
December 4th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I would say an alarm clock that I already know I'm getting, some new pants, probably work pants, underwear and socks, and some new pj pants. My wishlist leads you to think that I sleep a lot, but in fact I do not. I get 3 hours of sleep on bad nights and 6 on good. I am a part of the 4 a.m. team at target and then go to school in the day. Thats why I need the new alarm clock.;)

beercz
December 5th, 2007, 02:27 AM
A long holiday - boy do I need one!

knopper67
December 5th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I Want a Laptop, but i know that no one will get me one...lol their too expensive anyways.

But i'd love to get a Hewlett Packard Digital Camera, they make awesome cameras.

And if i cant get a camera i'll go for lots and lots of COFFEE! :biggrin:

smartboyathome
December 5th, 2007, 02:43 AM
A new laptop without a broken motherboard. :mad:

Oh, and maybe an IAudio7 ;)

urukrama
December 5th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Nothing, really.

@ KiwiNZ: I really hope the government grants it. I don't know how it works in New Zealand, but such things can be very difficult in some countries.

Tharkun
December 5th, 2007, 05:01 AM
One million US Dollars. I would be able to live the rest of my life on that.

steveneddy
December 5th, 2007, 05:09 AM
New Serval Performance from System76.

championboxes
December 5th, 2007, 05:15 AM
What I would really like for Christmas is for Gusty to not freeze on my system... I know alot of people are having this problem... and I think that they would agree with me... I would also like for a driver for my laptops builtin camera lol...

herbster
December 5th, 2007, 06:43 AM
My birthday was just a few weeks ago, got what I wanted. Matter of fact December 25th is my dad's birthday. He is the single most difficult to shop for person ever, the mission begins...

reincarnut
December 5th, 2007, 06:49 AM
awww... nobody wants world peace anymore...

anyways, while i am at it, i wouldn't mind getting a new car.

m0eman
December 5th, 2007, 06:50 AM
eee pc

vivianjp
December 5th, 2007, 09:01 AM
i would like many things for this xmas. but most important i'd like to have just one day without stress!!! and have a month vacation.

stoodleysnow
December 5th, 2007, 11:31 AM

AAAAAAAGGGGHHH!
another VW Camper/hippy/bus/thing!
I'm seeing these everywhere!
They're taking over the world!:shock::rant:

stoodleysnow
December 5th, 2007, 11:32 AM
BTW, have a look at my Colossal Lego Ubuntu Computer Case Project. I'd like one of those for Christmas please. :-D

gn2
December 5th, 2007, 12:06 PM
just a new LCD, what's the advantage of widescreens?

Unless they have a vertical resolution of 1050 there is no advantage.
Most widescreens have a low vertical resolution of 900 pixels some are even less.

For Christmas I would be very happy to receive a Linksys NSLU2 "Slug"

coxy
December 5th, 2007, 12:26 PM
A new car and to enjoy my first Christmas off work in 8 years, happy days!

Raval
December 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Less that 10 DVDs watches on my PCs in 5yrs.

Raval
December 5th, 2007, 12:46 PM
awww... nobody wants world peace anymore...

anyways, while i am at it, i wouldn't mind getting a new car.

Not even you asked for it lol!

Znort_Ubern00b
December 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM
sclera black contacts or something similar...

Raval
December 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I wish I could spend Christmas with my nephews.:(

de_valentin
December 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Just a new keyboard and one of those ubuntu t-shirts maybe

Chilli Bob
December 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
A bottle of Wild Turkey, a new sleeping bag and a milk crate full of second-hand PC bits to build another Frankenstein box. (I'll buy the last one myself to make sure)

Oh..... and a sack of used stamps.

n3tfury
December 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Less that 10 DVDs watches on my PCs in 5yrs.

so you don't own or want a widescreen LCD monitor? interesting.

Skorzen
December 5th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Nothing but peace and happiness.

hessiess
December 5th, 2007, 03:22 PM
nothing at all

KhaaL
December 12th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I'd say nothing, but I really wish three things:

1. Blender having OGRE integration in its game engine (I swoon at the thought...)
2. A better and modern Appdb section of the winehq site.
3. Penguin world domination! Or just more quality native linux games :p

Speaking of which, awesome job on the house hessiess! it's breathtakingly good :)

ken_vh
December 12th, 2007, 06:04 PM
A Philips wake-up light perhaps...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYvaBVAtyHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFeEEiEZHVI

hellmet
December 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I need a car. A second-hand one.

Pazin~
December 12th, 2007, 06:44 PM
A nintendo Wii :|

forrestcupp
December 12th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Peace on earth, goodwill to men.

and/or

hard cash

sanderella
December 12th, 2007, 09:19 PM
A glass of wine, a book of verse and thou.
:):):):):)

Raval
December 13th, 2007, 02:59 AM
so you don't own or want a widescreen LCD monitor? interesting.

Looking back at my comment I think a book on how to use spell check is in order. Come to think of it I have a book called a guide to better grammar 3 yrs now and I still haven't made it pass page 5:lolflag:

I don't care for a wide screen however, my current monitor is a 17" CRT so a a flat screen wouldn't be so bad.

todoporron
December 13th, 2007, 03:16 PM
A set of new tires for my car... I'm on slicks now.

Dragonbite
December 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM
So, how many people got what they wished for Christmas?

Me.. sort-of. Every year we exchange Christmas Lists in my family and maybe half of the items I got were on the list. Nothing computer-orientated though (unless you count that now the holiday is over I may find time to tinker with my computers again! ;) )

trendsettr
December 26th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I got the 500gb Western Digital My Book i wanted. And an Nvidia geforce 8 series graphics card.