PDA

View Full Version : AMD or Intel

IISpII
December 3rd, 2007, 01:43 AM
I have decided to make a computer. So i am deciding on a motherboard, to get started. I was wondering if i should go with AMD or intel. What is better and faster for the best price, and which is better for ubuntu. also i am going to put in a nvidia card, so which is better for that?

THX

-grubby
December 3rd, 2007, 01:48 AM
well CPUs usually work regardlessly in Ubuntu....but intel has the lead on AMD right now

speedwell68
December 3rd, 2007, 01:50 AM
AMD. I'm now running on 7.10 AMD64 and it is lovely.

Pathfinder_
December 3rd, 2007, 01:51 AM
Could you list the price range you are looking at as that would help out a lot.

prodigalson666
December 3rd, 2007, 01:52 AM
well CPUs usually work regardlessly in Ubuntu....but intel has the lead on AMD right now

That's not true, it depends on whose bench mark spec you read, intel for gaming, amd for computing work tends to be the experts split on the two.
P.S. AMD is cheaper, youll get more bang for your buck.

Sp4cedOut
December 3rd, 2007, 01:55 AM
Intel's Core 2 Duos crush AMD in both price, performance, and power usage. I haven't seen any benchmarks that show otherwise. I'd get Intel. Intel compatible motherboards tend to be better too.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html

LaRoza
December 3rd, 2007, 01:57 AM
Intel's Core 2 Duos crush AMD in both price, performance, and power usage. I haven't seen any benchmarks that show otherwise. I'd get Intel. Intel compatible motherboards tend to be better too.

The newest Intel processors, the Core 2 Duo's, have no comparative AMD processor, yet.

If I were to make a computer, I would get Intel.

boast
December 3rd, 2007, 02:11 AM
what AMD cpu is overclocking better than the Q6600?

IISpII
December 3rd, 2007, 02:21 AM
looks like intels the winner:lolflag:

regomodo
December 3rd, 2007, 02:22 AM
i was a 4years AMD fan until about a month ago. Now, with the way AMD/ATI is atm, intel all the way. Nothing AMD brings out can compare to Intel, raw-speed, benchmarks, price or wattage.

maniac_X
December 3rd, 2007, 02:26 AM
I am usually a fan of AMD going back to the K-6 233. It's been a wonderful ride. Along the way Intel made some dumb mistakes underestimating AMD but I think they also learned some lessons albeit the hard way. So now Intel is giving AMD a taste of it's own medicine and they have pretty much regained thier position at the head of the line for probably the next few years barring any dumb mistakes. Unless AMD has some secret card trick up thier sleve, they are now playing a game of catchup to Intel.

AMD boxes will still most likely be cheaper to build than Intel boxes but the "bang for $buck" difference is not going to be what us AMD fans are used to, sadly.

I was going to build a AMD box myself but I may be switching camps and build a Intel box that will hold me for the next few years or so.

miwaypet
December 3rd, 2007, 02:31 AM
Intel all the way. No AMD, no ATI, no Nvidia. No problems.

LaRoza
December 3rd, 2007, 02:58 AM

+1 I love my Intel laptop.

noerrorsfound
December 3rd, 2007, 03:04 AM
Unless your want to play a 3D game.

svtfmook
December 3rd, 2007, 04:06 AM
intel with 1333 fsb and a motherboard with intel p35 chipset. you can build a serious system for under $1200 with an e6750, dfi bloodiron, 8800gt, nice power supply, a good case and the trimmings.

infact, here is the gaming/overclocking rig i am building next month:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136037
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220267
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150253
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153040
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609198
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999174

but switching the motherboard for the bloodiron, dropping the fan controller, moving to a centurion 5 case and getting a cheaper power supply, you can knock a couple hundred $$'s off of what i'm going to end up paying.

Mithrilhall
December 3rd, 2007, 04:35 AM
The fanboys are going to be coming out of the woodwork on this one.

I vote AMD :KS :lolflag:

Zoiked
December 3rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
I have used AMD since my first computer and probably always will but Intel has been doing very well lately.

SunnyRabbiera
December 3rd, 2007, 09:00 AM
My vote is to intel, the latest intel chips are really good.

timpino
December 3rd, 2007, 09:15 AM
Intel

hkq37
December 3rd, 2007, 09:34 AM
I vote for AMD.
Either will serve you well.
AMD- Especially for mid-range builds the chips are cheap, fast and easy to overclock. Also the motherboards are often cheaper for AMD's
I think Intel has the brand name, but there is really nothing wrong them - even for laptops for usual applications and use( IMHO)

I have a AMD X2 4000+ going fine at 2.8Ghz and that runs well.

A T2300 ( Core Duo ) in my laptop runs nicely too

Both computers run Ubuntu/Linux fine.
If you are a gamer, the money is probably better spend on the Graphic card.
- just my 2c/opinion-
The other guy pointed out a few newegg sites, read peoples opinions there, you will see people, whatever they did buy, both AMD and Intel people seemed happy

toupeiro
December 3rd, 2007, 09:43 AM
It's a futile battle. You go intel now, AMD will be ahead in 6 months. Lets put it this way: its not just about the chip, its about the CHIPSET as well. The AMD chipsets on all my my servers and linux workstations I support (dual opteron boxes) outperform the core2 duo boxes with intel chipsets for the purposes I use them for which is for CPU/periph. intensive I/O and 3d visualization. They arent for "gaming" a.k.a. the software I use is designed to utilize parallel computing to the fullest whereas the majority of games you buy in stores are still single threaded applications and do not take full advantage of the specs people tout about on either multi-core solution.

My money, personally is still on AMD. And, has been with AMD ever since my K6-2 400, ... But, to each his own.

misfitpierce
December 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Intel core 2 duo's are pretty nice. I prefer AMD as I do ATI though altho not best for linux yet. Preferance varies though. But for more for your money i'd get Intel core 2

sethvath
December 3rd, 2007, 09:58 AM
It's a futile battle. You go intel now, AMD will be ahead in 6 months.

I reckon he is not going to buy another replacement rig in 6 months so whichever is faster, cheaper and works with ubuntu is the requirement.

If anyone's been reading into the recent AMD troubles, even with the 600 million cash injection from a gulf investor, they have trouble matching Intel who is clear out to push AMD out of business by lowering prices. Consumers gain when there's a price fight but I'm not happy letting Intel dominate the market by picking off their competitors. Without any competition, there's no one to keep them honest.

gn2
December 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
I agree with Sethvath, unless people keep buying AMD CPU's they could end up vanishing altogether, if that happens CPU prices will only go one way.

Hopefully AMD's next offerings will be worth buying.

NilsHG
December 3rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
amd phenom quad core cpus run great, even the small model for about 200€ can be clocked to 3ghz with ease. if you are going for quad core, i`d look close at amd phenom. do not listen to the fanboys.
what you need to keep in mind: will the system you buy today be compatible with future components. this is were amd is way ahead of intel. most people only need a bios update for the motherboard and can run the latest cpus. for intel, you almost allways need a new chipset = ´new mainboard.
so digg into it, and dont just look for shallow performance talk.

Zero Prime
December 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
I use AMD myself. I'm not an AMD fan by far, just a fan of saving money. Since I'm not a gamer the Intel V/S AMD thing is pointless to me. Also, I like to bargain shop. Last generation AMD chips are usually much less expensive than the Intel chips.

svtfmook
December 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
even the current phenom still falls short of the lower intel quads.

amd is are good. but even with current pricing, there's less than a $50 difference in building an amd system and an intel system. amd makes great processors, infact, if it weren't for amd, intel wouldn't have what they have. but with intel right now, you have a great chipset (p35), low power, higher L2 caching and higher benchmarks. with the p35 chipset, you have the option of running DDR3 in the future without changing out your motherboard. plus they say the 775 socket is future proof, where as AM2 just went to AM2+ and who knows what will be needed later.

regomodo
December 3rd, 2007, 02:41 PM
with the p35 chipset, you have the option of running DDR3 in the future without changing out your motherboard. plus they say the 775 socket is future proof, where as AM2 just went to AM2+ and who knows what will be needed later.

if that's true then i'm happy. I was a bit miffed off on 2 occasions when upgrading my amd procesor that my mobo was outdated and no stores stocked any. socket A, socket 754

Glenn1337
December 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
I love doing research on computer parts and what i found out is: The best, fastest processor you can get is the core 2 extreme, after that I like the Pentium 4 with hyper threading. you get a mice big 3.4 GHZ with it... then it's the core 2 Duo... 2.66 GHZ

(Be careful about what kind of processor port you have)

I like Intel processors (Can you tell??)

stoodleysnow
December 3rd, 2007, 03:20 PM
I would buy an AMD Phenom. Longer upgrade possibilities for your mobo.

svtfmook
December 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
I would buy an AMD Phenom. Longer upgrade possibilities for your mobo.
not particularly. AMD sockets generally have a historical life of 2-3 years. i would say AM2+ will be ousted by 2009. AM2 sockets will be gone by mid 2008.

the good thing about the phenom is the spider. but inorder to take advantage of that, you have to buy the processor, the motherboard with the AMD 7 series chipset, and an ATI 3800 series card(s). without the spider, the phenom is really not worth it at all. atleast not until they release the next series of phenoms this month.

the 1333fsb c2d's are the best bang for the buck right now. you can get a lower e6550 and overclock it to a safe 3GHz and blow the AMD 6400 black edition out of the water.

fineas
December 3rd, 2007, 07:18 PM
Anti-Intel, because of palladium etc... Their practises reminds me... something bad and familiar:-\"
http://users.aol.com/machcu/aia.html

regomodo
December 4th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Anti-Intel, because of palladium etc... Their practises reminds me... something bad and familiar:-\"
http://users.aol.com/machcu/aia.html

you do realise how old that site is

Please note: I created this site in 1997, and stopped major work on it in 1999. The information is well out-of-date, and in many cases does not reflect my current views. With that disclaimer in mind, I leave it up for those who are interested to browse.

miwaypet
December 4th, 2007, 03:58 AM
My Intel 915 chipset was suppose to be rated for vista graphics. Turned out, the sidebar was about as much of the special effects it would do. I was trying differant distro's and ran Sabayon. The 3D graphics ran flawlessly. I couldn't believe it! The chipset wasn't good enough for Vista but turns on the Linux special effects without a problem. I also have tried some of the 3D games such as open arena and alien arena. Not much of a gamer but these games did very well. Encountered some odd behavior in both ubuntu and mint when I had the game running for more than twenty minutes. All told, the intel chipset has performed very well in Linux. My intel loaded laptop rins very well and that is with having installed/uninstalled numerous distros as well as ubuntu itself when I was on the lerning curve hot and heavy. Unless things change with intel I will be sticking with them.

andhar
December 4th, 2007, 04:40 AM
I am running ALL intel chips with the exception being my laptop... I have an E6600, Q6600 , P4 D 805, P4 Prescott and a few 478 based celerons laying around.

It honestly depends on your price range, I like intel and the q6600 that I have running on my main system is sick.
It overclocks very very well and for what it is it runs pretty cool, I couldnt beleive the difference going from an 805 D to the quad made.

Intel all the way for me.

Rupertronco
December 4th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I think it's impossible to recommend a chip without a price range. Also, keep in mind not everyone is comfortable with overclocking (I have no idea why to be honest, you have to TRY to fry a chip) so its ability to overclock shouldn't really be factored in. If you want a real opinion try telling us a price range and experience/willingness to overclock. Then we can make better recommendations.

vishzilla
December 4th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I should say Intel, except for the price factor. Intel has better benchmarks

timpino
December 4th, 2007, 11:25 AM
If you go with intel, there could be a good reason to wait a bit, they are coming out pretty soon (half a year or so) with a new socket

fineas
December 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM
you do realise how old that site is

Yes, I know that:lolflag:. It's just that I don't trust companies that ever followed these practises. If there was a person -let's call him Mr.X- that cheated you once, would you ever trust him again? I don't call AMD "saints" (they joined TCPA too), but the Intel was the company that tried to spy us with the "palladium".

svtfmook
December 4th, 2007, 04:02 PM
If you go with intel, there could be a good reason to wait a bit, they are coming out pretty soon (half a year or so) with a new socket
not so much a new socket, but rather a new series. the penryn.

ajm2005
December 5th, 2007, 09:29 AM
;)

sloggerkhan
December 5th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I think if you are looking at CPUs $120 and cheaper, AMD is still the best.
If you are looking for CPUs $150 and up, Intel all the way.