PDA

View Full Version : Stupid sig

strictly_serious
December 2nd, 2007, 11:05 PM
Take a look here

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=116610#116610

and check out edoviak sig

Q.: "I typed mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n usb /dev/sda1 just like you told me to and now Windows won't start. What happened?"
A.: "You forgot to think!"

How the heck can someone be allowed a sig like that?

Vadi
December 2nd, 2007, 11:15 PM
But those are Debian forums, not Ubuntu ones...

And yeah, there are people like that. But this isnt the place to discuss them!

Dr Small
December 2nd, 2007, 11:31 PM
That is funny. LOL

jordanmthomas
December 2nd, 2007, 11:33 PM
I thought it was pretty funny too.

And honestly, I think that kind of attitude could do some good on these forums too. People here like to be spoonfed, and they'll never learn that way.

Vadi
December 3rd, 2007, 12:52 AM
Actually, I don't think it's funny at all, and frown upon the last two replies.

When someone asks for help, they expect help which they can trust, and not look up every of the umpteen words to know what they do.

(I guess that's why the last two posters don't have the rm warning in their signatures either. GJ)

Dr Small
December 3rd, 2007, 12:58 AM
I feel insulted. If you would like to know why I do not have the rm warning in my signature, he is my reason, that I posted on ubuntucat's blog:
http://ubuntucat.wordpress.com/2007/11/15/all-it-takes-is-one-annoying-user-to-spoil-the-fun/#comment-2029

As for me finding it funny, it rather was, because the user DOES have to think.
He needs to LEARN the system, and read what he is inputing. I thought that was the idea of posting the announcement to warn and educate users about the RM command.

We can't sit around and babysit all of the time. Everyone has to grow up, and learning is part of that process. In order to learn, they have to read what they are putting into the terminal, which requires thinking; The sole meaning of that signature.

Dr Small

werewolfzx8
December 3rd, 2007, 12:59 AM
Actually, I don't think it's funny at all, and frown upon the last two replies.

When someone asks for help, they expect help which they can trust, and not look up every of the umpteen words to know what they do.

(I guess that's why the last two posters don't have the rm warning in their signatures either. GJ)

I also think it's quite funny, along with the other two, because it's a sig, and it wasn't somebody telling somebody else to do it. It's a funny way of giving the rm warning.

Vadi
December 3rd, 2007, 01:04 AM
I stand by the belief that an operating system is just a medium for you to run programs on. And, in fact, I also think that the majority of users think the same way too.

Nobody sits around playing with the wallpaper or browsing their filesystems. They play games, work in office programs, chat, and do other things where the os only runs those programs.

Yeah, you -could- interpret that signature as a warning, but the first message you get is some snobby person who knows a command touting that knowledge.

Dr Small
December 3rd, 2007, 01:06 AM
I think it was ment to be funny more than anything, so why bother all of this debate of somebody else's signature on another forum ?

But I do more with my system than just run programs. I expirement, so I guess I am not classified in that majority.

Dr Small

JillSwift
December 3rd, 2007, 01:11 AM
Nobody sits around playing with the wallpaper or browsing their filesystems.Uh... *blush*.

I do.

=^_^= ;

As a Linux newb I gotta say I found the sig entertaining. I disagree with the needlessly draconian nature of such teaching methods, but examples of that sort floating around sigs is probably helpful.

GSF1200S
December 3rd, 2007, 01:28 AM
First off, what does that command do? I wouldnt do it unless I knew what it meant, but id like to make sure I know what it is so I can respond accordingly. It looks like it makes an msdos filesystem in either 16bit or 16 something at a location on the usb drive, or maybe rewrote his windows partition with an msdos filesystem? Thats just what I inferred from reading the man pages, which is what I do when I encounter a command i dont understand. That said, what did this command do to the noobs system? Im guessing the sig was a snip of a thread where a troll screwed over a noob.

That said, I think thats f'd up for someone to post a command they know will cause distress to another, especially when the pride of linux is the power of people truly working together for solutions.

As for it being in the sig, I think it comes accross as a little elitist. Maybe leave that up there for the experienced guys to get a chuckle out of, but have a link named "(Not sure what that command means, please click here)" that gives good detail on the damage this command can do... That quote in the sig by itself is f'd up, so I gotta agree with the OP. While it could be argued the intent is still there to warn new users, it wouldnt tell anyone anything unless they were experienced anyways. It meant nothing to me until I looked it up on the man pages and exercised a little common sense, and ive been using linux for about 9 months..

I agree that people need to be more understanding of what they put in there terminals rather than just blindly copying and pasting commands, but some new users may not even know where to look for advice or explanation at first!