PDA

View Full Version : Snowed in and bored.

tcpip4lyfe
December 2nd, 2007, 02:23 AM
We had an ice storm today and I can't leave my apartment. Basically I'm bored. (no booze :( ) I am looking for something to do on ubuntu that doesn't involve reformatting. Apps, games, something new. Im pretty sure I've read the entire internet today. Any ideas?

bruce89
December 2nd, 2007, 02:30 AM
Compose music - lilypond (apt:lilypond)
Type a load of letters - texlive-latex-recommended (apt:texlive-latex-recommended)
Go flying through space - celestia-gnome (apt:celestia:gnome)
Play snooker - foobillard (apt:foobillard)

I quite like looking through Add/Remove... for inspiration. (but I only install things with aptitude)

The Debian packages cloud (http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/cloud/) is fun too.

p_quarles
December 2nd, 2007, 02:30 AM
Heh, that reminded me of this:
http://www.w3schools.com/downloadwww.htm

As for the boredom, you could try a few different window managers (Fluxbox, Openbox, IceWM, plus any of the standard ones you haven't played with).

Games: Foobillard (3D pool game) is fun. Freedroid RPG if you're looking for something more involved. Knetwalk if you like frustrating logic games.

Kingsley
December 2nd, 2007, 02:34 AM
Ubuntu + Opera browser + left hand + boredom = :guitar:

TeaSwigger
December 2nd, 2007, 02:35 AM
The Documentation and Guides folks at ubuntu and most apps are always in need of volunteers.

Write a story.

Write a gpl KeyNote notes manager to NoteCase notes manager conversion script.

Answer unsolved help threads.

Find me a nice desktop PC I can get for free...

Lots of things a person could do ;)

jflaker
December 2nd, 2007, 02:39 AM
Where are you snowed in?

I'm in North-East Pennsylvania waiting for the imminent weather.

Toadmund
December 2nd, 2007, 02:48 AM
Try farting around with 'Hydrogen', a drum program, or 'ZynAddSubFX' Synthesizer.
These programs are pretty cool and can (or may) be found in 'Add Remove' or 'Synaptic'
You may also have to get 'Jack' to run these. :cool:

tcpip4lyfe
December 2nd, 2007, 03:00 AM
Where are you snowed in?

I'm in North-East Pennsylvania waiting for the imminent weather.

Eastern Iowa. Im not really snowed in. More like iced in. We got an inch of ice during a freezing rain storm. If it's heading your way, I suggest buying booze before hand.

Thanks for the ideas folks. Im going to go down the list and try them.

p_quarles
December 2nd, 2007, 03:10 AM
Eastern Iowa. Im not really snowed in. More like iced in. We got an inch of ice during a freezing rain storm. If it's heading your way, I suggest buying booze before hand.

Thanks for the ideas folks. Im going to go down the list and try them.
It's already here. Really nasty outside.

Fortunately, it takes a lot for anyone to get snowed in in Chicago, so I can still get around atm.

HermanAB
December 2nd, 2007, 03:12 AM
Install Ice Window Manager - an Ice storm is how IceWM came to be!

DMK62
December 2nd, 2007, 03:13 AM
Be glad that you still have power. Having lived through the ice storm in Quebec 10 years ago where we got 4 to 6 inches of freezing rain over 4 days I would have loved to have had power and heat ( it went down to about - 30 f after the storm ).

If you are really bored then spend an evening reading a some of the RFP's on the tcp/ip suite. It may bore you more though. Or you could always give a hand to folks looking for help on the forums here.

Be careful if you do venture outside.

Dale

-grubby
December 2nd, 2007, 03:20 AM
We had an ice storm today and I can't leave my apartment. Basically I'm bored. (no booze :( ) I am looking for something to do on ubuntu that doesn't involve reformatting. Apps, games, something new. Im pretty sure I've read the entire internet today. Any ideas?

tried "alien-arena"?

tcpip4lyfe
December 2nd, 2007, 03:22 AM
Try farting around with 'Hydrogen', a drum program, or 'ZynAddSubFX' Synthesizer.
These programs are pretty cool and can (or may) be found in 'Add Remove' or 'Synaptic'
You may also have to get 'Jack' to run these. :cool:

Wow hydrogen has come a long way since I tried it last.

n3tfury
December 2nd, 2007, 03:28 AM
maybe pick up some other hobbies. play an instrument (other than the skin flute), write a short story, or learn to draw. do something creative and get off the pc.

SuperMike
December 2nd, 2007, 07:06 AM
Get yt2mp3 from code.google.com and convert YouTube vids to simulated stereo MP3s.

n3tfury
December 2nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
from crappy sound to transcoded stereo sound that will wind up sounding worse than the "original"? why?

jc87
December 2nd, 2007, 02:46 PM

Please go play in the snow:) the last time i seen it i was about 9 years old, and i miss it so much:(

If you dont want to/cant try supertux or neverball, both great games which can ensure many hours of fun!

Incense
December 2nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

That should kill some time.

The mountains here in Colorado got hit by a pretty cool snow storm, but nothing in the metro area. I really need to go snowboarding....

ynnhoj
December 2nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Be glad that you still have power. Having lived through the ice storm in Quebec 10 years ago where we got 4 to 6 inches of freezing rain over 4 days I would have loved to have had power and heat ( it went down to about - 30 f after the storm ).
that storm was heavy duty; some of the photographs i saw were amazing. if i had lived through it, though, i might think about it a bit differently.. :o

jflaker
December 2nd, 2007, 04:32 PM
So the first part of the storm laid down about 4 inches of snow........some rain/mixed precipitation coming later tonight.....YAY!!!! Nothing like an ice coating to complete the storm!

dimbulb1024
December 2nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
Funny. Last winter here in Denver I got snowed in and started my whole Ubuntu/GNU/Linux adventure. Maybe this winter if I get snowed in again I'll play with changing my DVR over to Linux.

prizrak
December 2nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
Snow rules!!!! We finally got some so I went out drifting around a bit ;)

Blutack
December 2nd, 2007, 05:56 PM
We just get rain in the UK. Bloody cold too. You could pretend to be a kid again and install Sugar (The OLPC interface) from the special repos.

fedex1993
December 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
you can come to texas and come chill inside or out in 78 degree weather and dont worry about any of that stuff intell jan feb thats our winter season lol

Murrquan
December 2nd, 2007, 09:56 PM
This is my second Christmas living in Georgia (in the southeastern continental United States). There will be no snow this year either. >.>

Chuck Norris can restore a system from sudo rm -rf .
You can't.

*laughs* That's the best way of explaining that that I've seen so far. Of course, I'm kind of forgiving when it comes to Chuck Norris jokes.