PDA

View Full Version : How does my Website look?

borris.morris
December 2nd, 2007, 01:13 AM
Ok, here's my website. I wanted your guys' input... It's for an Antique Newspaper in Utah area... you can view it at: http://www.deseretantiquetimes.com .
I also have a question:
How would one make a navigation bar (for the top) that I could easily change, ie, by changing one file? Some CSS?

frup
December 2nd, 2007, 01:21 AM
Not enough contrast. The blue (links) and green look sore on my eyes.

I use PHP to make menu file (or something like that) which I include on every page. There are quite a few ways of doing this.

lyceum
December 2nd, 2007, 01:30 AM
It looks like a good start. When I clicked on your links, at first I thought they were not working, as the page did not change. Then I realized that the screen was changing, but the top was too big for me to notice. I would say to add some contrast and watch the size of each page. You are off to a great start though!

:)

skwishybug
December 2nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
Green!

Seriously though, as was mentioned, more contrast is needed. The black text and blue links are lost on the screen, it might help to have a paler (not lighter) shade of green in the background to help the text stand out.

p_quarles
December 2nd, 2007, 01:39 AM
It looks really nice, except for the navbar. The links are too big and too blue.

What I would suggest is designing some customized icons for those links, rather than using plain text. You could make two versions of each icon, as well, so that it would be easier to distinguish the currently active location (like lyceum mentioned, it's not always obvious that the page has changed).

Not related to how it "looks," but I noticed that the navbar text is formatted with three <big> tags. That's kind of a bloated way of doing it. Better would be to define the navbar as a <div> and then set the text size for that element in CSS.

ev5unleash1
December 2nd, 2007, 01:41 AM
Somehow, Make a divide with colors so that we can tell the site to the current page we are looking at, and choose a different contrast of colors so it does not hurt peoples eyes. Like some nice light colors with some designs. Make the text smaller too.

Kingsley
December 2nd, 2007, 02:02 AM
It looks very 1999ish, but that's alright. For some reason antiques makes me think of light brown. That might be a better color for the site.

borris.morris
December 2nd, 2007, 03:19 AM
yeah, the reason I did green is because of the christmas season coming along... if you have any good colors of green let me know... and before today, I had a light tan, I just changed it because the owner of the newspaper wanted it more "Christmasy..."

And thank you all for the quick responses! Hey, frup, how do you do yours? Any examples? I've seen it before, but I couldn't remember any good terms to search for on Google... And I'll go and change those couple of things real quick...

n3tfury
December 2nd, 2007, 03:30 AM
more christmasy? that's too bad. the light tan would look so much better. you can still get away with using some christmas graphics of some sort with tan though. that's much too green for my tastes.

Lostincyberspace
December 2nd, 2007, 04:21 AM
Where are you based more specifically cause I am in Orem and do web design may be I could help you with your project.

borris.morris
December 2nd, 2007, 04:41 AM
Spanish Fork, but I go to a school called UCAS... It's right by UVSC. And thank you for the offer! This is one of the best parts about Ubuntu... the community!

borris.morris
December 2nd, 2007, 05:13 AM
OK, switched it up a bit back to close what it used to be... any thoughts about it now? And I've finally switched it over to CSS (whew... a ton easier!), so changes wont be too hard. Any good christmasy color combo's that aren't uber bad on the eyes would be appriciated.

Lostincyberspace
December 2nd, 2007, 05:21 AM
I think I like the original better. Oh and what is with the stray a? see attached

borris.morris
December 2nd, 2007, 05:23 AM
yeah... that was so when i was copying the first bit, i could tell which one it was on Klipper... and I changed the image size so its easier to tell the wepages apart.

Lostincyberspace
December 2nd, 2007, 05:27 AM
If I were doing this I would just do a a CMS like joomla it is much easier to set up and configure and add info too.

borris.morris
December 2nd, 2007, 05:34 AM
hmmm... i definitly like Joomla... but how does one add info? The demo's are down right now...
WOW!!! I JUST RELIZED HOW PERFECT THIS WILL BE!! im going to be hosting a rotary website... so this will work excellently! especially the extensions and stuff!

p_quarles
December 2nd, 2007, 05:54 AM
I for one like the latest version a lot better than the old one. I didn't mind the green background (though it could've been muted a little), but the contrast between the tan background and the current text is much more readable.

borris.morris
December 2nd, 2007, 06:18 AM
yeah, so do i. i think i want a slightly different shade of tan... but thanks again for all of the input guys! but it still would be best if i had a slight... christmas theme... would red and gold look decent, ya think?

p_quarles
December 2nd, 2007, 06:43 AM
yeah, so do i. i think i want a slightly different shade of tan... but thanks again for all of the input guys! but it still would be best if i had a slight... christmas theme... would red and gold look decent, ya think?
A couple possibilities:
-- An image with the words "Merry Christmas!" with holly decorations around it. This could be placed on either side of the masthead.
-- A string of xmas tree lights on top of the page.

But, no, I think that retheming the entire page in red and gold wouldn't be a good idea. First, because that places design before usability, and second, because I know from experience that color combos like that destroy cross-browser compatibility.

borris.morris
December 2nd, 2007, 06:45 AM
A couple possibilities:
-- An image with the words "Merry Christmas!" with holly decorations around it. This could be placed on either side of the masthead.
-- A string of xmas tree lights on top of the page.

But, no, I think that retheming the entire page in red and gold wouldn't be a good idea. First, because that places design before usability, and second, because I know from experience that color combos like that destroy cross-browser compatibility.

Those are excellent ideas! I especially like the X-Mas tree lights one... I thought of doing snowflakes slowly falling, but then I figured that that would distract people from reading whats on the page...
Also, I want to make the Navbar external and just link to it or what not... how would I go about doing this on the page?

lyceum
December 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Much better. I like that color choice, it is perfect for what the site is about. You fixed the size too, good job. I had a thought, if your site looks antiquated, but that is the theme of the site, then that is a good thing. I do not think you should not use green, green IS good for the season, just uses a lighter one.

Check out this site:

http://www.armyoftrolls.co.uk/

The first time I saw it, I thought "Welcome to 1980!!!" But, it works for them. (I know that this is a popular style to some, I am using it to make a point.)

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
I see these are your first steps in html.
The site doesn't look good by todays standards.
Making a website from scratch these days takes days/weeks if you want it to look and work good.

I gave up on making them myself and now i either use wordpress, with adjusted themes. Or i google for free css templates, and fire up the gimp to replace some of the images.

You website will look very good, you only need minor adjustments, and all can be done in half a day.

a free template that maybe something you want/need (green):
http://www.freecsstemplates.org/preview/fractalbroccoli

You can learn alot by checking to html/css code.
I learned it by (after learing the basics) downloading one of those templates/ tried to get it exactly the same using the graphics, but start coding from scratch. Just a tip.

edit: if it was your intention to make the site look like that, ignore my comments. However, still don't like the style :p

borris.morris
December 3rd, 2007, 12:04 AM
ok, so how do you make the top appear to "float" on the background?

RAV TUX
December 3rd, 2007, 12:23 AM
Ok, here's my website. I wanted your guys' input... It's for an Antique Newspaper in Utah area... you can view it at: http://www.deseretantiquetimes.com .
I also have a question:
How would one make a navigation bar (for the top) that I could easily change, ie, by changing one file? Some CSS?

mootools (http://mootools.net/)

timpino
December 3rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
one word: old

more info: fonts are too big, boxes around tables are not 21 century imo yellow background is not so nice on the eyes especially since you have a white picture on it. Link coulors does not have enough contrast to the background, when they have been clicked.

read up on css and you can easily make it look good.

spamzilla
December 3rd, 2007, 12:28 AM
Just a suggestion. The text on each page has been centered apart from the text on the subscribe page. You might want to change that :)

Joeb454
December 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM
Personally, I find centered font hard to read (titles are the exception).

Also I like the fact that one of the first things people do is put google ad's on the site :p

To be fair though, I do too :)

RAV TUX
December 3rd, 2007, 12:38 AM
mootools (http://mootools.net/)

Ubuntu uses mootools on their website(or atleast they used to)

frup
December 3rd, 2007, 12:39 AM
htmldog.com is a really good website for HTML/CSS reference.

As far as making menu files etc, there are several ways of doing it depending on what you need.

For most of my sites I make the design first, then split this in to a header and footer.php which is seperated where the content goes. This allows me to basically go

<? include('header.php'); ?>
CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT
<? include('footer.php'); ?>

Without PHP on the server I would resort to JavaScript. Here I would create a .JS file with the layout of my menu in document.writes() and then <script src> it.

finally another PHP method I used to use but now prefer the include method over is

<?
$page = $_GET["page"];
$file = $page.".php";
if (isset($page)) {
if (!file_exists($page.'.php')) {
$file = '404.php';
}
else {
$file = $page.".php";
}
}
else {
$file = 'news.php';
}

include ($file);
?>

You would place that in the location of your content and then just upload files and link to them by say index.php?page=blaah. In this case the file can have any extension really but that code example is only for PHP... you can rename the .php bits to .txt. or .html or whatever you feel like having or you could remove those strings and then have index.php?page=blaah.php index.php?page=blaah.html etc.

regomodo
December 3rd, 2007, 01:32 AM
looks very mid 90's. The colour theme and what appears to be the default font. The pdf thumbnail should be the correct resolution. Don't use a small image and strectch it out.

At least you kept flash out.

Luggy
December 3rd, 2007, 01:34 AM
I don't have any artistic ability. I can't make things that look good but I know what does look good. And whenever I have to make a website I start with http://www.oswd.org/.

Just pick a template that looks good and suites your needs and go on from there.

borris.morris
December 3rd, 2007, 03:45 AM
well guys, thanks for the input! I think that I am actually going to use Joomla. It makes things look great, and makes it easy to add and change things around.

Lostincyberspace
December 3rd, 2007, 03:49 AM
If you need help with setting it up or other help with it feel free to email me at Lee(at)Logonomics(dot)net.

n3tfury
December 3rd, 2007, 03:50 AM
^^

OT, but i love that cartoon.

RAV TUX
December 3rd, 2007, 04:02 AM
well guys, thanks for the input! I think that I am actually going to use Joomla. It makes things look great, and makes it easy to add and change things around.
I would suggest Drupal instead.

Paqman
December 3rd, 2007, 05:29 AM
Tables are a really kludgey way of formatting text.

There's a million ways to create a navbar, but one of the cleanest is to actually format it as a list in the html, then use the css to control the formatting of it. A List Apart (http://www.alistapart.com/) is a fantastic site to blatantly ravage for nice html/css tricks.

I wouldn't recommend using images for links as one person suggested. Search engines understand text much better than images, and a link to an image is just one more thing that can break. Text is bombproof.