PDA

View Full Version : Do we have too many printing apps?

Sand Lee
December 2nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
As of now, we have three printing applications - one for Managing Print Jobs, another for setting the Default Printer, and another for managing Printing settings. Respectively, these entries exist under Accessories, Preferences, and Administration; this is excessive.
_____We already have the ability to set the default printer in the Printing app, so the Default printer app is not needed. And maybe we could embed some print-job-management-functionality in the Printing app. If that isn't possible, then we should move the app to administration to reallocate some cruft.
_____I am thinking of filing a report about this in one of the mailing lists (not sure yet), but I want to know if anyone disagrees with this current situation. Thoughts?

Mateo
December 2nd, 2007, 12:12 AM
I'll have to agree with this. Since upgrading to Gutsy I now have 2 (almost identical looking) print icons in the notification area and it's ugly IMO. I don't see the need for all these different print apps.

LookTJ
December 2nd, 2007, 12:14 AM
those are GUIs for one printing app, CUPS(http://localhost:631) I believe.

Kingsley
December 2nd, 2007, 12:29 AM
I think I had two on Feisty, but I only have one in Gutsy. It is strange though.

bruce89
December 2nd, 2007, 12:38 AM
I suspect some people still have gnome-cups-manager installed as well as system-config-printer.

urIkon
December 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
Do we have too many printing apps?

Who cares. We don't have enough printer drivers. *Sadface*

murt
December 2nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
well, no. I don't agree. Sience there is three apps, none of them are big and slowing.

Sand Lee
December 2nd, 2007, 06:28 PM
well, no. I don't agree. Sience there is three apps, none of them are big and slowing.

I'm not complaining that they slow down the system. It's just that they add an unnecessary amount of complexity to the OS (a tad reminiscent of some KDE distros I've used). I think we should just have one or two apps. We don't need the default printer app and we could possibly merge the Print Jobs Manager in the Printing app.
Now that I think about it though, the Printing app is a tool requiring root privileges and the others don't. It may be that the other two apps were provided for non-admin users to manage their printing preferences and jobs. :confused: