PDA

View Full Version : Current State of Ubuntu-64: Drivers, software, support

MikeBenza
November 30th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Hello all,

I'm looking into buying a new laptop with a 64-bit processor (Core 2 Duo). I'd like to dual boot, but I've heard there are problems with unsupported 64-bit drivers and software. I looked at the stickied threads here, but didn't find anything useful less than 8 months old.

I'd like to know what your opinions are of Ubuntu 64. Should I stick with a 32 bit machine for another two years or so? Should I expect to need to use 32 bit software for another few months? A year? Two years?

Have the Firefox / Flash / Java issues been corrected? Is there a 64 bit hardware compatibility list?

I've searched the forums for these answers, but I can't seem to find anything updated.

And for the heck of it, I've included a poll to sort out your responses.

EDIT: I forgot to make the poll multiple select...If a mod can change it, please do, else, only answer question 1.

- Mike Benza

<<joe>>
November 30th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Hello gess what you can run 32-bit apps under 64-bit ubuntu
The driver and program support is about the same for both at this point and has been about a year
you should put this poll up in none 64-bit user form because we are bias (were all useing 64-bit)
GO with the 64-bit prosessor i dont think you can findone thats not
Firefox is good with flash but i thought i had problems with java but its Just the web page i was trying to get to sux (does the same thing on my xp boot)
good luck

Kilz
November 30th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I've searched the forums for these answers, but I can't seem to find anything updated.

You just need to look here and read a lot
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=368607
A look back of 2 or 3 pages also will give you the information.

The quick answer is, the 64bit version is just as good as the 32bit. There is no perfect version of linux. They all have areas you may have to do some additional setup. As proof every other section of this forum is full of posts on 32bit problems.

nss0000
November 30th, 2007, 03:35 PM
How come I can answer only one ( 1 ) of the two (2) questions ? Some bit is mis-flipping.

bodhi.zazen
November 30th, 2007, 04:14 PM
@MikeBenza

There is a nice sticky maintained in the "x86 64-bit Users" forums.

Otherwise, up to you and your budget.

MikeBenza
November 30th, 2007, 07:50 PM
@MikeBenza

There is a nice sticky maintained in the "x86 64-bit Users" forums.

Otherwise, up to you and your budget.

I saw that thread, but didn't feel any of the threads linked in it gave clearcut, up-to-date answers. Also, is there a hardware compatibility list for Ubuntu 64?

jdos2
November 30th, 2007, 09:01 PM
The problem is that there are no clear cut answers, except if you can answer some very specific questions- as in "what do you want to do?" and I don't mean "word processing, surf a bit, chat...", but "I'll expect OpenOffice to work for word procesing/spreadsheet needs, I want Java Plug-ins and Flash to work, and I'll need to use Acroread..."
Driver support is about as good as 32 bit Linux. Application support is about 90 percent, with another 5-8 percent made up in wrappers for 32 bit applications.

There are corner cases. If you have sound cards that are supported by only the latest ALSA builds, don't expect sound out of 32 bit applications (but there's always hope, and it both sound & hope seem to pop out of the most unexpected areas- like World of Warcraft on Wine...) like the 32 bit plugins (Flash) under Firefox. The native 64 Flash support is a bit wanting (and simply won't play some Flash videos).

Ask the specific questions, and I think the support community could give you better and more specific answers.

Otherwise, jump on in, figure this stuff out with the rest of us, and have fun. "Frustration is the last step on the road to enlightenment."

Kilz
December 1st, 2007, 02:45 AM
The problem is that there are no clear cut answers, except if you can answer some very specific questions- as in "what do you want to do?" and I don't mean "word processing, surf a bit, chat...", but "I'll expect OpenOffice to work for word procesing/spreadsheet needs, I want Java Plug-ins and Flash to work, and I'll need to use Acroread..."
Driver support is about as good as 32 bit Linux. Application support is about 90 percent, with another 5-8 percent made up in wrappers for 32 bit applications.

There are corner cases. If you have sound cards that are supported by only the latest ALSA builds, don't expect sound out of 32 bit applications (but there's always hope, and it both sound & hope seem to pop out of the most unexpected areas- like World of Warcraft on Wine...) like the 32 bit plugins (Flash) under Firefox. The native 64 Flash support is a bit wanting (and simply won't play some Flash videos).

Ask the specific questions, and I think the support community could give you better and more specific answers.

Otherwise, jump on in, figure this stuff out with the rest of us, and have fun. "Frustration is the last step on the road to enlightenment."

I believe your opinions are those of a misinformed person.

dnns123
December 1st, 2007, 02:54 AM
As an average 64-bit user, I believe that there is little difficulty in running 64-bit Ubuntu. So far, the only difficulty I'm talking about is finding the 64-bit version of the program online. e.g. VMware Server, and Wine. Thats about it, as far as I know. The rest of the 32-bit programs works well in the 64-bit Ubuntu. You can very much say that they're served to you on a silver platter.:)

Kilz
December 1st, 2007, 03:46 AM
As an average 64-bit user, I believe that there is little difficulty in running 64-bit Ubuntu. So far, the only difficulty I'm talking about is finding the 64-bit version of the program online. e.g. VMware Server, and Wine. Thats about it, as far as I know. The rest of the 32-bit programs works well in the 64-bit Ubuntu. You can very much say that they're served to you on a silver platter.:)

The wine hq has amd64 debs. Wine is in the Ubuntu repositories for amd64 Gutsy.
VMware server is a commercial product, not open source. Still, the 32bit version installs and runs on amd64 Ubuntu. If you want a 64bit version please get vmware to make it. There are 64bit open source alternatives.
IMHO more misinformation that the average user should disregard.

dnns123
December 1st, 2007, 04:08 AM
lolz, thats weird, I couldnt click the wine and VMware from my rep.... anyway, cant argue with Kilz :lolflag:

SunnyRabbiera
December 1st, 2007, 04:25 AM
well I know some people here who do run the 32bit version of ubuntu on their 64bit systems

markusf21
December 1st, 2007, 04:31 AM
well I know some people here who do run the 32bit version of ubuntu on their 64bit systems
I am one of those people.

Kilz
December 2nd, 2007, 12:36 AM
lolz, thats weird, I couldnt click the wine and VMware from my rep.... anyway, cant argue with Kilz :lolflag:

Wine is in the Ubuntu repositories. The Ubuntu package site that lists every package in the repositories lists is as available.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/otherosfs/wine

The Ubuntu wiki has instructions on installing VMware server to amd64
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Server/AMD64

I am one of those people.
Running the 32bit version on 64bit hardware is like buying a corvette and then pulling out 4 of the 8 spark plugs wires. Will the car run? Sure, maybe not to well. Will it give you all the performance it should? No.