PDA

View Full Version : What was leading me to Linux

Joushlol
November 27th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I was alway curious about linux, but i thought that was only for my really geeky friends. i mean I'm pretty geeky, but not as geek-core as some of my friends who used to get a kick sending each other sub7 in 10th grade.
The thing that ultimately led me to trying a distribution was how crappy the $dows UI is.
I got this used laptop as a gift from a French-Swiss buddy of mine. i was happy and went right to work trying to figure out (in French mind you) how to change the display language. It's possible, i know, but after 2 months of asking around, posting on forums, and nearly throwing the poor thing out of the window, i gave up.
Even more unfortunate is that i couldn't properly backup my firend's data all the way because the software for the dvdR/W was crap and at the time i was in India so i couldn't go out and buy some software. and to pirate (usually not one for pirating) via torrent something would cost like 500 rupies with the connection speed and charge by the hour rates they have at your local internet cafe.
So long story short, Ubuntu was a perfect fit, and gave me new hope for my new/used lappy.

p.s. i wasn't about to shell out the mula for a XP install disc.