PDA

View Full Version : Fluxbox



ubuntukerala1980
November 26th, 2007, 02:07 PM
How many of you have changed from gnome/kde/xfce to fluxbox ?

gn2
November 26th, 2007, 02:20 PM
XFCE is my choice, I've tried Gnome, KDE and Fluxbox.

In order of preference 1: XFCE, 2: Gnome, 3: KDE, 4: Fluxbox.

cknight
November 26th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Started off with KDE, but now I love fluxbox. Its power and minimalism are very seductive. Fluxbox has also totally changed the way I use my computer and I have a much more enjoyable user experience because of it. And to this day it still suprises me how quickly the window manager loads after logging in!

Majorix
November 26th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Never tried. Never felt the need to. Gnome works fine.

twiceasworn
November 26th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Sure gnome works fine, but it isn't optimal. I immensely enjoy the right-click menu and tabbing. The fact that the menu is completely configurable and I can change the way things are arranged in it is awesome. Fluxbox is just neat. :)

Dr Small
November 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I use Gnome 70% of the time, and I use Icewm the other 30%. But fluxbox is alright, I am just not fanatical about it.

sk8dork
November 26th, 2007, 05:31 PM
i always liked the simplistic and efficient nature of fluxbox. as it turns out, though, i've completely fallen for openbox and have been unable to switch away from it. everything about openbox feels superior to fluxbox to me, and i prefer both of those to any other WM/DE. it seems more stable and it does some things better. at first i was baffled by the lack of a panel (window list, system tray) but i now prefer the absence of a panel with the combination of docker (for app icons ala pidgin and amarok) and gkrellm for things like cpu graphs, clock, and volume control. the window list on all desktops can be brought up by just middle clicking the desktop (in fluxbox you get a workspace menu which you then have to cycle through desktop menus to see what's there, and then it only shows minimized or iconified windows in a seperate menu, which is less efficient). i have found nothing more efficient or stable or elegant.

really, though, if you don't like fluxbox for its primary functionality, you probably won't like openbox. but if you do like fluxbox i highly recommend you try out openbox.

edit: i do run the gnome-settings-daemon for the gnome themes and other things that gnome does do best.

DutyDuty
November 27th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I used Fluxbox and Blackbox for a very short period of time, but found myself no longer enjoying the minimalist feel. Now I use the biggest, shiniest themes I can get, because RAM is not really an issue.

linuxlizard
November 27th, 2007, 01:46 AM
I use fluxbox on my p3 700 mhz laptop every day.
I've used kde, gnome, xfce and fluxbox for extended periods of time- gnome sits on my desktop presently, although I used kde for a couple of years there.

To me, they are all comfortable to use. Fluxbox is fast and light. I don't see a lot of difference between xfce and gnome except one uses more resources, and kde is nice because of all the integrated software for it.

kerry_s
November 27th, 2007, 01:57 AM
i use to use fluxbox all the time, but now i prefer jwm. i just love how simple jwm is and it's smaller, yet just as fast as fluxbox.

NewDisciple
November 27th, 2007, 03:52 AM
I'm satisfied with Gnome and am quite comfortable with it. At the present high resource usage is not a problem for
me. Perhaps, if I had an older box I might consider a minimalist window manager.

santiagoward2000
November 27th, 2007, 03:58 AM
XFCE is my choice, I've tried Gnome, KDE and Fluxbox.

Same here. I haven't found anything better for me!

-grubby
November 27th, 2007, 04:01 AM
well, I did use it, but found it didn't have enough features for me
EDIT: Nevermind that, now that I actually have enough know-how to set it up just like I like, It's awesome!