PDA

View Full Version : what environment do you prefer and why?

Zlatan
November 21st, 2007, 09:19 AM
i mean- gnome, kde, etc..., google?:)
recently i've tried igoogle and i like it, but there's a bit of confusion- what to choose- e.g., gmail on firefox or on evolution? open office or google documents? and so on:)

waiting for your comments, thank you

Levander
November 21st, 2007, 09:57 AM
I just like plain old GNOME. More work has gone into it on Ubuntu it seems. It just seems more organized. I haven't used kubuntu much, but go try to install a theme in it. The dialogs for icon themes and window themes are dialogs you get to from entirely two different places. Then there's a third dialog for themes that's somewhere else entirely. It's a mess.

The Ubuntu release schedule is paired with GNOME's. It's like Ubuntu release two months after GNOME does, I forget exactly. Then, Kubuntu releases at the same time Ubuntu does. Ubuntu is always going to have more up-to-date releases of GNOME than KDE with this being the case.

That said, KDE does seem to have a few more applications than GNOME. k3b was (and might still be) the first rock solid feature rich CD burning app on Linux. This is probably because the API is designed with a cleaner, more object oriented API, which software developers like. It's just too bad it doesn't seem as polished as GNOME on Ubuntu. I guess you could argue I could go and do all that polishing myself, but...

ubuntukerala1980
November 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM
I now use fluxbox
:lolflag:

Zlatan
November 21st, 2007, 12:13 PM
... and what about google's "environment"? did you try it?

ubuntukerala1980
November 21st, 2007, 12:22 PM
no:lolflag:

Cochise
November 21st, 2007, 03:08 PM
im looking forward to trying kde4, i use gnome at the moment

JetskiDude911
November 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
I use GNOME now, but in the past I have used KDE. I just find GNOME to work well for what I need it to do, so I just stick with it. KDE is great, but I'm too fond of GNOME now to change. I will be giving KDE4 a try when the final release is done.

Zlatan
November 21st, 2007, 06:46 PM
any chances there for web-os?
;)
do you find them useful?

jviscosi
November 21st, 2007, 06:47 PM
Fluxbox 99% of the time.

jespdj
November 21st, 2007, 07:03 PM
I prefer GNOME with the Compiz effects and Avant Window Navigator (http://awn.wetpaint.com/).

I tried KDE (Kubuntu 7.04), but I just like GNOME better.

ericesque
November 21st, 2007, 07:08 PM
GNOME for me. Why? I just find that it is more logical than KDE. KDE seems to want to give me every option available in every menu. Most of the time I only need to change a few key options--on the rare occasion that I need to really tweak settings, I'm happy to dig a bit. I suppose I feel like the extra options get in the way.

Plus I've alwasy felt a bit like Kubuntu was just behind. It's more of a mental thing than perhaps any truth-- furthermore, that may not be the fault of KDE.

I'm also not such a fan of the high gloss that KDE artists typically perpetuate.

OH! and I hate the K nomenclature! I mean, yeah it serves its purpose, but I just find it annoying.

WOW! I had no idea I was so opinionated against KDE... :oops:

TidusBlade
November 21st, 2007, 07:10 PM
I love KDE, I used to like GNOME though, it was simple and good, but then I wanted to do much more with the settings, so I tried switching to KDE, and it was awesome! I also use fluxbox on my Damn Small install, and it's also awesome.

maybeway36
November 21st, 2007, 07:12 PM
GNOME just doesn't do a lot of the stuff I like, like having a "Run..." box on my panel.

Salpiche
November 21st, 2007, 07:25 PM
... and what about google's "environment"? did you try it?

Ok! I am lost Google? link please! I have to check that out since I use almost all of their services.

Thanks!

dreftar
November 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM
A few years ago while tinkering with Linux I used "Enlightenment" desktop and really enjoyed its quirkiness -- Is it available on "Ubuntu"???:confused::lolflag:

Zlatan
November 21st, 2007, 09:29 PM
i was meaning- would you prefer to use evolution and open office insted of gmail and google docs? and vice versa? both of them seem to have it's + and -, so i'm asking for your opinions:)

thank you

Ok! I am lost Google? link please! I have to check that out since I use almost all of their services.

Thanks!

Salpiche
November 26th, 2007, 01:44 AM
i was meaning- would you prefer to use evolution and open office insted of gmail and google docs? and vice versa? both of them seem to have it's + and -, so i'm asking for your opinions:)

thank you

Thanks!

BTW
I use E17 on my test machine and Gnome on my main computer and loving both of them.

smartboyathome
November 26th, 2007, 02:24 AM
i mean- gnome, kde, etc..., google?:)
recently i've tried igoogle and i like it, but there's a bit of confusion- what to choose- e.g., gmail on firefox or on evolution? open office or google documents? and so on:)

waiting for your comments, thank you

I used to use GNOME, but I found E17 (Enlightenment release 17 from CVS) more than an appropriate substitute for GNOME (with the only exception of this being there is no system tray :(). It is nice overall, and is now easy to install with a debian package doing all the work for you to install it from CVS (no not a 'frozen' version, it is from up-to-date CVS)!

Edgeworth
November 26th, 2007, 02:32 AM
i've used both gnome and KDE, but i like gnome better. KDE's plethora of options can be disorienting for one simply trying to change one aspect. That and well, Compiz has spoiled me. ;)

x1a4
November 29th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Usually I use Xfce, except to play games when I use FVWM-Crystal. I also use AfterStep and Sawfish.

I use FVWM-Crystal to play games because it looks nice, works well, is light-weight, intuitive, and doesn't interfere with some 3D applications the way Xfce does when it has compositing enabled.

I use AfterStep because it's a nice eye-candy GUI.

I use Sawfish (augmented with FluxBox features) for system administration and for fun.

Sometimes I also use OpenBox, FluxBox, Enlightenment, 9wm, and EvilWM just for fun.

happysmileman
November 29th, 2007, 11:38 PM
KDE, most of the apps I use are on it, also it seems easier to program for, so when I get around to that I'll kick *** (should be any year now)