PDA

View Full Version : Which of these IDE's do you use for web development?

ICEcoffee
November 19th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Hi all

I want to know what experienced users of the following apps think of their chosen IDE for developing web sites & applications. I've just recently switched from WinXP as my main OS and using the 'standard' web development tools from Adobe and Macromedia (now Adobe), ie Dreamweaver and Photoshop.

I'm ready to get stuck in to a non-WYSIWYG ide (it's gonna be like through me in to an ice cold bath - shudder at the thought), but I don't want to waste endless hours testing all available apps. I'm hoping feedback from people that actually use the software below, will help guide my decision.

I develop Sites and apps in xHTML, CSS, PHP and a touch of javascript now and then. the software below has come to my attention as strong possibilities:

Bluefish, Quanta + , Aptana, CakePHP or Eclipse with WTP/eclipsePHP

Your thoughts please.
Thanks

smartbei
November 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM
You could take a look at threads such as http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6762.

This question has been asked in numerous forms over time, and the answers are all out there.

That said, since I am posting anyway, here are my recommendations:
CakePHP is a framework based on the MVC (Model View Controller) ideal - recommended, but nothing to do with your question :).

Eclipse in general will give you a very fully-featured IDE (I haven't tried the php plugin), as will Quanta +. Bluefish too has very many features.

However, I prefer Geany - also in the repos. It is much lighter than any of the above IDEs but still supports all the features I have wanted. YMMV.

pmasiar
November 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM
it is FAQ - maybe either OP or smartbei could create a post with good links to previous discussions, and let's ask admins to add it to sticky...

and then lets hope ppl will rad the stickies :-)

smartbei
November 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM
The thread I linked to is linked to by one of the stickies - that is how I found it :). In fact, I think it was a sticky itself a while ago but they were consolidated. Linux Programming Reference (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=606009)

ICEcoffee
November 19th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I'm actually someone who searches the forums before submitting a thread, and whilst there are some threads from people asking for help coming from Windows to Linux and seeking software alternatives, my post was mainly to invoke a discussion from the people who use the software, to say 'why they do'.

I've narrowed things down to the few apps above, but further guidance and advice is needed.

ATM, Quanta and CakePHP are at the head of the queue, only because they both seem the most straight forward and are feature rich, not to mention good hand-holding for new non-wysiwyg developers like myself.

smartbei
November 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I repeat, CakePHP (www.cakephp.org) is not like the others - it is not an IDE. CakePHP is a rapid application development framework based on the MVC ideal. Bluefish is somewhat similar to Quanta - perhaps you meant that.

The "cakephp" in the repos is this one.

If there is another CakePHP that I do not know about, please post.

Kadrus
November 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I use Gedit for everything I do... :)

ICEcoffee
November 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Gedit is for Gurus not wannabes like me. :lolflag:

skeeterbug
November 19th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Eclipse with PyDev addon, and Aptana for HTML/Javascript.

Aptana is based off Eclipse too, so I could probably install PyDev on top of that, and do everything from their, but having them seperate and both open at the same time works for me. :)

MicahCarrick
November 19th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Gedit is for Gurus not wannabes like me.

I disagree--at least when it comes to non-WYSIWYG IDEs. I came to Linux from Windows and searched high and low for the perfect web development IDE. I too use xhtml, css, php, and a touch of javascript. I used Bluefish for several months as well as Eclipse, Quanta, gPHPEdit, and some others. Although Bluefish was the closest to what I wanted, once I learned about Gedit's plugins, I haven't looked back.

It's simplicity is elegant. It's stable. And it's customizable. Granted, it doesn't manage the server for you behind the scenes, however, that will help prevent hour long headaches trying to figure out what your IDE did.

Using snippets, a symbol browser, file browser, and GNOME's built in VFS, you can do all the major things an IDE can do. Check out these 2 blog posts: Customizing gedit as a Web Developerís IDE (http://www.micahcarrick.com/09-29-2007/gedit-html-editor.html) and Web Development in Linux (GNOME) (http://www.micahcarrick.com/09-28-2007/web-development-linux.html)

LaRoza
November 20th, 2007, 12:47 AM
The thread I linked to is linked to by one of the stickies - that is how I found it :). In fact, I think it was a sticky itself a while ago but they were consolidated. Linux Programming Reference (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=606009)

The stickies were clean up, because of my post in the Forum Feedback and Help. The IDE question is addressed in two of the stickes.