PDA

View Full Version : Copy/paste doesn't work between host and guest

brodym
November 17th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Hi,

I'm using VMWare. Here's my setup:

Host: Ubuntu 7.10
Guest: Vista (VMWare Tools are installed)

In VMWare Server Console, Edit/Preferences shows "Enable copy and paste to and from virtual machine" is checked.

Still, I cannot get copy and paste to work between the guest and host.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

brodym
November 19th, 2007, 06:31 PM
No replies?

Lem
November 19th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Which vmware are you using? VMPlayer 2 has drop'n'drop functionality between host and VM which I believe is unique amongst the free products.

brodym
November 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for your reply. I'm running VMware Server 1.0.4 build-56528.

tighem
November 20th, 2007, 04:24 AM
VMWare Server does this with the guest tools installed and the option selected in the client interface (it runs in the toolbar under XP).

SgtDude
November 20th, 2007, 04:29 AM
tighem's right, for the copy/paste to/from host/guest machine, the vmware tools have to be instaled on the guest machine. Depending on the OS running on the guest machine this can be really easy or extremely difficult but the first step is to right click on the machine in the list (on the left) and click "Install VMware tools". (don't quote me on that, I'm running off of memory)

This will mount a disk image in place of whatever you have mounted to the guest CDROM. On this CD is the .exe file for windows and a .rpm and a .tar.gz for linux (again, running off my spotty memory). That should get you started. Post back here if you get stuck.

brodym
November 20th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Thank you for your suggestions.

As I mentioned in my original post, VMware Tools are running
on the guest (Vista). The VMware Tools icon is showing in the toolbar,
though I don't see any option to enable copy/paste in VMware Tools.

Copy/paste is enabled in VMware server settings.

as1
December 31st, 2007, 08:25 PM
Hey,
Has anyone been able to resolve this question? I am also experiencing the same problem with VM Server software - cannot copy and paste despite ticking the relevant box and installing (and runnning in the taskbar of windows xp guest operating system) vm tools.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks
Andrew.

fjgaude
December 31st, 2007, 08:44 PM
I'm sure I don't why it works for me and not you. I run VMware 1.0.4 and WinXP and do copy/paste perfectly. I couldn't do that in VBox. Thus I only use VMware Server now, the free kind.

I run NAT and also have SAMBA shares setup on Ubuntu host. Other than that, that's it.

as1
January 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hey,
I'm not sure about the SAMBA stuff (not sure what it is...) but I am also using NAT for the network connection and the internet on my virtual OS works perfectly.

When you copy and paste, do you literaly just highlight something on your host machine and right click COPY and then PASTE on the desktop (for example) of your virtual machine? Or do you put the files somewhere else like your working directory for the virtual OS?

I'm finding this really confusing! I don't get why it does not work.... I just want to be able to run itunes in windows because some of the music I purchased using istore does not work with linux ipod/music software....

Andrew.

as1
January 1st, 2008, 03:53 PM
HI,
Just a quick update:

I realised that I could in fact copy and paste - it's just that I cannot copy/paste programs/folders etc.. - only (for example) lines of text from a text editor in the host machine to a text editor in the guest machine. Is this the case with you guys?

I got around the fact that I couldn't copy and paste programs etc. (i.e. word documents created in windows guest machine to my ubuntu host machine) by creating a SAMBA share as per this tutorial:

http://2tap.com/2007/04/22/sharing-files-between-a-windows-guest-and-ubuntu-host-using-vmware-and-samba/

Though if anyone figures out how to copy and paste files that would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Andrew.

fjgaude
January 1st, 2008, 04:17 PM
Hey,
I'm not sure about the SAMBA stuff (not sure what it is...) but I am also using NAT for the network connection and the internet on my virtual OS works perfectly.

When you copy and paste, do you literaly just highlight something on your host machine and right click COPY and then PASTE on the desktop (for example) of your virtual machine? Or do you put the files somewhere else like your working directory for the virtual OS?

I'm finding this really confusing! I don't get why it does not work.... I just want to be able to run itunes in windows because some of the music I purchased using istore does not work with linux ipod/music software....

Andrew.

You can read this how-to and that might help:

http://2tap.com/2007/04/22/sharing-files-between-a-windows-guest-and-ubuntu-host-using-vmware-and-samba/

I copy/paste from one program to another across the host/guest. I don't remember if I have done it desktop to desktop.

Happy New Year!

Tex-Twil
January 3rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Hi,
I also have VMware server installed and the copy/paste (of text only) is not working. I installed vmware tools on the guest correctly and enabled the option in the host's Edit->Preferences->Input option dialog.

Thanks,

fjgaude
January 3rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Hi,
I also have VMware server installed and the copy/paste (of text only) is not working. I installed vmware tools on the guest correctly and enabled the option in the host's Edit->Preferences->Input option dialog.

Thanks,

Try rebooting the machine after setting the copy/paste feature. I have no othe suggestion for simply copying lines of text from host to guest and back. Of course you have to use SAMBA to copy, move whole files and the like because the Windows stuff is in NTFS format, but text bites and pieces are not and can be handled by the clip board of both Windows and Linux.

Tex-Twil
January 3rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Try rebooting the machine after setting the copy/paste feature. I have no othe suggestion for simply copying lines of text from host to guest and back. Of course you have to use SAMBA to copy, move whole files and the like because the Windows stuff is in NTFS format, but text bites and pieces are not and can be handled by the clip board of both Windows and Linux.

I did it but it stil doesnt work. Im not interested in copying files ( I use ssh for this purpose) I only want the text copy/apste feature.

btw, both host and guest are Debian.

fjgaude
January 3rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Likely Debian is the issue... I use Ubuntu Gutsy 64-bit on three machines.

gm.matias
February 12th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I am using VMPlayer and in the configuration I enabled the Share Files options but it did not work for me. I read some more articles and found a good solution that works for me. I put in here: http://www.gmmatias.com/sharing-a-disk-drive-of-an-ubuntu-host-to-a-guest-windows-on-vmplayer-using-samba-2010-02-12

Hope it helps.