PDA

View Full Version : Posting permissions problem in Recurring Discussions (moved here by matthew from RD)

nikoPSK
November 16th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I seem to prefer gnome for ubu, but KDE is great with other distros... Question, why can't I post in this category? I get a vbulletin message... I did get an infraction for uplaoding the wrong picture to my thread here but I did not know what the infraction was about...

matthew
November 16th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I seem to prefer gnome for ubu, but KDE is great with other distros... Question, why can't I post in this category? I get a vbulletin message... I did get an infraction for uplaoding the wrong picture to my thread here but I did not know what the infraction was about...I just checked the forum permissions as well as your account permissions. I can't find any reason why you should not be able to post in an existing thread in the Recurring Discussions forum. The infraction you received wouldn't make any difference on this issue. I blame gremlins. :) Um...try again?

nikoPSK
November 16th, 2007, 05:31 PM
obviously the gremlins are of the satanic sort:

nikoPSK, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.ummmm, I received the infraction for posting the wrong picture.... I had uplaoded the un-edited picture which contained the "f" word.... The infraction messege wasn't very clear... Could you mabye check again?

Thanks Matthew,
Niko

matthew
November 16th, 2007, 09:32 PM
obviously the gremlins are of the satanic sort:

nikoPSK, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.ummmm, I received the infraction for posting the wrong picture.... I had uplaoded the un-edited picture which contained the "f" word.... The infraction messege wasn't very clear... Could you mabye check again?

Thanks Matthew,
Niko
Well, I can't find any reason why this should be...it may take some digging.

In the meanwhile, I looked into your infraction. You received it because you posted something that contained language that is not permitted according to the Forum Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy)...yep, the picture with the dreaded "f" word.

I'm going to move our posts on this topic out of this forum and into the Resolution Center so that other admins will see it. Maybe one of them will have a better idea than I do as to what is going on with your account permissions in the Recurring Discussions forum.

Hopefully we can get an answer for you soon.

nikoPSK
November 17th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Well, thanks for all you aid and I hope that this resolves itself soon... It was an oopsie daisy thing. i had uploaded the wrong pic but didn't have a clue on how to edit attachments at the time...

KiwiNZ
November 17th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Please give it a whirl again and advise .

Thanks

nikoPSK
November 17th, 2007, 10:43 PM
hmmm, I'm still locked out....:(

matthew
November 17th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I just had a thought...are you trying to post in an existing thread, or trying to post a new thread?

I can't find any reason why you shouldn't be able to post in an existing thread. I've checked your permissions and those of the RD forum multiple times. If this is the problem, I'm just not seeing the cause and I need another set of eyes to help look.

If you are trying to post a new thread in that forum, well, no one is able to do that. The RD forum is meant to be a place for moderators to move threads into, not as a place for threads to be started...it's kind of a dumping ground for those topics that come up over and over and over, so we don't have to close them, delete them, jail them, or have them clog up the rest of the forums. However, any topic that is appropriate in RD should already have a thread in there somewhere.

nikoPSK
November 18th, 2007, 12:29 AM
no, as a new thread....

nikoPSK
November 18th, 2007, 12:30 AM
no, as a new thread....

lol, aha! I see now, :p i feel Dumb... well, thanks!

matthew
November 18th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Phew. I'm glad we figured it out. Don't feel bad, I don't think I announced anywhere that users can't start new threads in that forum. I'll go check the sticky post there and add that bit of info if it's not there.

EDIT: Instead of editing the sticky, I added a couple of lines to the forum announcement at the top of the forum.

nikoPSK
November 18th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks matt! though when I see a "make new thread" generally you should be able to make on!:D

matthew
November 18th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah. Some staff do have the ability to post new threads there. Really, I don't think we can get rid of the icon without hacking the forum software a bit, though. Hopefully the additional line in the announcement there will be enough to prevent questions/problems for others.

Thanks again.