PDA

View Full Version : SIMPLE bash script

truse
November 16th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Hi

Im trying to make a script that wil help me set up the connection to use vnc over ssh.

It looks like this:
----------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

clear
echo -n "Server ip: "
read server

gnome-terminal -e "sleep 5 && vncviewer localhost:1"

ssh -l <myusername> -L 5901:127.0.0.1:5900 $server

what happens is that the ssh connection works FINE, but when the other gnome-terminal window opens, it does _NOTHING_.. :/

I need the other gnome-terminal window to sleep before the "vncviewer localhost:1" command, because i can`t connect to localhost before the ssh connection is established. I dont know if im doing the "gnome-termina -e" thing wrong or what..

I hope someone can laugh at me and tell me what im doing wrong here :p

Nekiruhs
November 17th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Hi

Im trying to make a script that wil help me set up the connection to use vnc over ssh.

It looks like this:
#!/bin/bash

clear
read server

what happens is that the ssh connection works FINE, but when the other gnome-terminal window opens, it does _NOTHING_.. :/

I need the other gnome-terminal window to sleep before the "vncviewer localhost:1" command, because i can`t connect to localhost before the ssh connection is established. I dont know if im doing the "gnome-termina -e" thing wrong or what..

I hope someone can laugh at me and tell me what im doing wrong here :p
Commands don't run simultaneously. Right now, its waiting, then trying to connect to localhost, then doing SSH. Its not going on at the same time. If i understand your problem correctly, try this:

#!/bin/bash

clear
read server

truse
November 17th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the fast reply!

I tried the code, the ssh connection establishes and i am connected to the server. (which is right) BUT, I dont get the new terminal window unless i disconnect the ssh connection. (which is wrong.. cause i need the ssh connection to be up/established to use the vncviewer localhost:1)

any other sugestions? :)

I remind that if i open a terminal window MANUALY, i can do the "vncviewer localhost:1" without any problems.. i just want it to go automatic! :s

geirha
November 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
the -e option to gnome-terminal only excepts one process, so you'll have to spawn a new bash process. Here's your script with some modifications. Instead of sleep 5, it waits until port 5901 is bound.

#!/bin/bash

if [ "$1" == "" ]; then
server=`zenity --entry --text="Enter hostname:" --title="VNC"`
if [ ! $? == 0 ] ; then # If zenity failed (i.e. cancel was selected)
exit 1
fi
else
server=$1
fi

gnome-terminal -e '/bin/bash -c "while ! netcat -z localhost 5901; do sleep 1; done; vncviewer localhost:1"'

ssh -L 5901:localhost:5900 $server

Not a perfect solution, but it should work :)

truse
November 17th, 2007, 04:35 PM
wow..! Thanks =) Works like a dream! :popcorn: