PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Virtualbox Help

rcdeacon
November 16th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I just did a fresh install of Gutsy. I need to get virtualbox wprlomg/ I have installed it (NOT from the repo but from their site), but I need help changing the permissions on the vboxdrv file. I am sort of migrating from the kde world and gnome, specifically Ubuntu does things differently. There must be an EASY way to do change permissions. Also I need to add a usbusers group in order to get usb working. There are a number of posts that deal with this usb issue but not many that are EASY to understand for a Gnome newbie! Any help will be appreciated.

Slingshot
November 16th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Hi rcdeacon, try this. open a console, type sudo nautilus, make you way too /dev and select vboxdrv, right mouse to properties > permissions and change to your needs.

I havent done this, but I would try System > Administation > User and groups > manage groups > add group "usbuser" and tick the check box beside your user.

Hope this helps
SlingShot

rcdeacon
November 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Thank you Slingshot. I appreciate the help.

rcdeacon
November 16th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Now I am getting this error, "Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The service might be not installed on the host computer." I think this is a problem with the usbfs.

rcdeacon
November 16th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I did manage to get usb working part way. Now the usb devices are "grayed out". I can see them there but I cannot use them. I'm sure this too is related to those modified usb user files.

EDIT: hate to have to post again but after some THOUGHT and some INVESTIGATION I got it working again. Thanks for the help but this one is solved!

Banacek
November 16th, 2007, 01:11 PM
That's good but could you elaborate, please? On the event of another person having your same problem it could be helpful to know how you got it to work and why. What thought and investigation brought you to your solution?

By the way, no call for you to hate to have to post again as it should be a pleasure to post here.

rcdeacon
November 16th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I DID NOT have the correct "devid" in the /etc/fstab file.

Amin1_0_1
November 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Hi man
I have the same error massage "Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The service might be not installed on the host computer."
But i can't get what you did to fix it please help me.THX

bodhi.zazen
November 16th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Hi man
I have the same error massage "Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The service might be not installed on the host computer."
But i can't get what you did to fix it please help me.THX

There are several options :

http://doc.gwos.org/doku.php/doc:office:virtualbox#enable_usb_devices

Amin1_0_1
November 16th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Thank you it works great!

rcdeacon
November 16th, 2007, 09:56 PM
This link helped me get working. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/virtualbox/+bug/151585

CoryLuLu
April 17th, 2008, 06:20 AM
link is dead for me.

anyone relink?

caste381
April 19th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Here's the solution:
with root privileges, open the file /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh with a text editor and remove the following character
#
Save the file and open /etc/fstab (always while using root privileges).
At the eof, add this line:
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1000,devmode=664 0 0 Now save, reboot your machine and you should be able to use your usb devices.
Hope it helps.
Greetings from Italy.

bodhi.zazen
April 19th, 2008, 06:39 PM
The link has been moved to here :

http://gaming.gwos.org/doku.php/udsf:virtualbox

seijling
October 27th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Hey all, I just tried what caste381 said and it worked great!

As I found this a little confusing at the time, I only uncommented the following in my mountdevsubfs.sh file:

#
# Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
#
mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb
}

Thank you very much.

Using Ubuntu 8.04
VirtualBox 2.04
Acer 8204 WLMi, T2500 dual core "yonah"

DoDoENT
November 5th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Hey all, I just tried what caste381 said and it worked great!

As I found this a little confusing at the time, I only uncommented the following in my mountdevsubfs.sh file:

#
# Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
#
domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
}

Thank you very much.

Using Ubuntu 8.04
VirtualBox 2.04
Acer 8204 WLMi, T2500 dual core "yonah"

Hi! I'm using intrepid and have the same error, but the file /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh looks completely different. Any help would be appreciated.

rwap
November 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hi! I'm using intrepid and have the same error, but the file /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh looks completely different. Any help would be appreciated.

Same Here.. I get this error, on 8.10

Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The service might be not installed on the host computer.

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x00004005)
Component:
Host
Interface:
IHost {489fb370-c227-4d43-9761-ceb28484fd9f}
Callee:
IMachine {1e509de4-d96c-4f44-8b94-860194f710ac}

I tried the /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh file but it looks very different...

Help?

Thanks

DoDoENT
November 6th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I think I've found a solution - still not tested.

My inspiration for solution is here: http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/VirtualBox/Benutzung#USB-Geraete-verwenden

Since I'm not expert in german, it would be great if someone from Germany translated this guide. As much as I understood, we should add the following line into /etc/fstab:
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=664 0 0

and then "sudo mount usbfs"

After that, opening File->Preferences in VirtualBox doesn't show me an error anymore.

rwap
November 7th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I found something similar,

Only the first part regarding fstab is necessary in Intrepid, the rest only is needed in hardy.

In your fstab you need to put:

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=XXX,devmode=664 0 0

being XXX the group ID of your user when you look under System-Administration-Users&Groups for the group usbusers

This worked for me, except I changed none to usbfs- whatever difference that makes.. Virtualbox now see my usb devices and they work in the virtual xp :)

My USB key works, but for some reason I get a BSOD on my canon I70 printer- still trying to figure that one.

My goal is to be able to sync my palm in xp via virtualbox- Hopefully.

Thanks!

rwap
November 7th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I figured the BSOD out, I think I just needed to reboot- This is beautiful! I can even use my networked canon imageclass D660 that doesnt work in ubuntu :( :)

I hope my palm syncs.

EDIT-
I got it!

It worked right away with the cable but, It took a while for the bluetooth, I had problem with the com ports- there aren't any by default- so I loaded the BT drive in windows- I just used the MS version it automatically downloaded.. then go to the BT settings in windows and add the device then add incoming com ports in the BT settings- set palm's hotsync to those ports and boom. it works via bluetooth :)

I'm so happy. :) :)

salemboot
November 19th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Maybe its just the version of the .deb binary.

I made a little script as domount no longer comes with ubuntu it would seem.

#!/bin/sh
#----------------------

mount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644

That gets rid of the error for 8.10 ibex.

l8r

zeddock
November 24th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Can you please give a little more detail on this? I am hesitant, as a newb, to use it as it doesn't say what error or what versions it impacts or works correctly on.

I just did a freash OS install on 8.10 64 bit. Installed new virtualbox, which is supposed to have iPhone connection fixed. It did not work.

I have to muddle in fstab, add myself and root to virtualboxusers group and finally turn 2.0 usb on and off and on.

Finally, the iPhone was throwing errors on the Unbuntu side... something to do about mounting and locking... I unmounted in Ubuntu, unchecked the iPhone in XP virtual, then rechecked it.

That is NOT fixed.<laughs>

zeddock