PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Reading keyboard in Linux?

paukku92
November 15th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I'm making a simple GUI Library for OpenGL and I would like to know how do you read keypresses from keyboard in Linux?

Windows had GetAsyncKeyPress or something like that. Is there a similiar function?

LaRoza
November 15th, 2007, 07:32 PM
ncurses has such functions, but any functions like that will not be ansi standards, like the Windows function who mention.

http://laroza.pbwiki.com/LinuxSpecific

paukku92
November 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Well, that was not actually something I was looking for. I need a function that can read keyboard without a terminal window.

One possible way to solve the problem is that I could always let the library user to get the keyboard data to the library but I would not like it that way.

Kadrus
November 15th, 2007, 07:45 PM
If you haven't installed the packages for ncurses
type in Terminal

sud apt-get install ncurses-base

and then

sudo apt-get install ncurses-bin

LaRoza
November 15th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Oh, I am not familiar with the Windows function, so went by description.

bunker
November 16th, 2007, 02:08 AM
SDL (http://www.libsdl.org/) sounds like what you need. Also, since it is a cross platform thing there's a chance it might give some functions that are more familiar to you than using xlib directly. I don't program on windows so I can't be sure.

A quick example from their docs:

SDL_Event event;

SDL_WaitEvent(&event);

switch (event.type) {
case SDL_KEYDOWN:
printf("The %s key was pressed!\n",
SDL_GetKeyName(event.key.keysym.sym));
break;
case SDL_QUIT:
exit(0);
}
}

paukku92
November 16th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Can you use SDL from the library so that it will not cause interference to the program that uses the library if it's using SDL?

But if it is really possible to just wait for keypresses with SDL it would be really easy.

bunker
November 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM
If I understand you rightly, you're asking if a client program to YOUR library can also use SDL. This is fine. You will see many programs and libraries using the same libraries -- that's pretty much the idea :).