PDA

View Full Version : ? Compile app that includes SQLite

cogitordi
November 15th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I've been trying to build an executable that includes SQLite. I can't get the SQLite C sample code to compile and I would appreciate some help.

I've compiled SQLite itself and have libsqlite3.la.

I run
gcc sqlitetest1.c -Llibs -lsqlite3 -static

"libs" is a copy of the .libs directory from my SQLite build location.

The error is that "ld" can't find the library. I've modified /etc/ld.so.conf but still no success.

geirha
November 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM
What are you trying to do? libsqlite3.la is not a library, it contains metadata about the library (it's a text file you can read). If you want to staticly link the sqlite3 library, you need the .a-file.

cogitordi
November 16th, 2007, 04:46 AM
I want to compile sqlite statically. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Now it looks as though I'm missing the pthreads library: lots of "undefined references to pthread_" + various.

tyoc
November 16th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Only for be rought, I remember that sqlite has the possibility to be in 1 big file (all the headers and code in 1 file) I think htat is the normal way to "embed" sqlite in own application... I think they still give taht 1 big source file somewhere in they page.

seetho
November 16th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Only for be rought, I remember that sqlite has the possibility to be in 1 big file (all the headers and code in 1 file) I think htat is the normal way to "embed" sqlite in own application... I think they still give taht 1 big source file somewhere in they page.

You have to "make" the big .C and .H file out of the regular source files. You can find the instructions on the web-site: http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=SqliteBuildProcess

It's easier if everything is in one large file. They even say that optimisation is better this way.

Good luck.

geirha
November 16th, 2007, 05:19 AM
I want to compile sqlite statically. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Now it looks as though I'm missing the pthreads library: lots of "undefined references to pthread_" + various.

Only a matter of adding "-lpthread" to the gcc-line I should think

cogitordi
November 16th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Only a matter of adding "-lpthread" to the gcc-line I should think

That didn't work (ld complaint) but I did succeed by fully qualifying the location of libpthread and libsqlite libraries.

Is there something wrong with my environment if ld doesn't find libpthread?

To other comments: yes, I'm using the "amalgamation" source files.

Merci, les amis!

tyoc
November 16th, 2007, 05:00 PM
perhaps you forget run ldconfig like root... but before that, you can do something like the following IIRC:

ldconfig -p |grep sq
That will print the list of actual libraries in the pathy if Im not wrong... after that try to do

sudo ldconfig
Also perhaps you may want to see at

/etc/ld.so.conf and related

or try man ldconfig and perhaps man ld.so.conf

cogitordi
November 17th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Thank you, running "sudo ldconfig" enabled me to remove the -lpthread parameter. Why is it so?

Running "ldconfig -p | grep sq" does show me the slqlite libraries, you're right.

seetho
November 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I just compiled the standalone sqlite3 utility a while ago just fine:

cc -O2 -ldl -lpthread -o sqlite3 shell.c sqlite3.c

seetho
November 29th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I did some research on this topic just out of curiosity because i'm also trying to use sqlite in my latest project. I'm not by any means an expert in SQLite or Linux programming, so this information is only what I know (so far). Any 'experts' here may want to correct or comment about it.

After installing the source of sqlite say in ~/dev/sqlite, the SQLite documentation recommends doing the actual build in another sibling directory. So let create ~/dev/build

cd to ~/dev/build and execute the configure script:

~/dev/build$ ../sqlite/configure

You'll end up with a Makefile (and several other files) in this directory. Edit this mmakefile and comment out the line:

TCC += -DSQLITE_OMIT_LOAD_EXTENSION=1

I found this to be necessary to avoid errors later when I compile the shell.c (the sqlite3 CLP).

You may also what to edit the line "TLIBS = " to read

TLIBS = -ldl

Now do the following to compile and install:

~/dev/build$ make

After the make you will have a directory full of object files and the sqlite CLP executable called sqlite3

~/dev/build$ sudo make install

New libraries will be installed as /usr/local/lib/libsqlite3.a and /usr/local/lib/libsqlite3.so.0.8.6 (The former being the static lib and the later the shared lib). The sqlite3 executable is also installed in /usr/local/bin/.

Now make the amalgamated sqlite source file:

~/dev/build$ make sqlite3.c

You end up with a very large source file sqlite3.c and the header sqlite3.h which are essentially what you need to embed sqlite in your applications. You also have individual source files under the ~/dev/build/tsrc/. You will also find shell.c here - this is the source used to build the CLP.

To build the CLP using shared library:

~/dev/build$ gcc -O2 -o sqlite3 tsrc/shell.c -ldl -lsqlite3

Note that -lpthread is not required since shell.c does not require it.

You'll end up with a 39k sqlite3 executable file.

To build the CLP with the sqlite embedded:

~/dev/build$ gcc -O2 -o sqlite3 tsrc/shell.c sqlite3.c -ldl -lpthread

I end up with and executable of just under 380k size. Note that -lpthread needs to be specified since sqlite3.c uses it (I think).

I'm not sure how the static library can be used. When I try

~/dev/build$ gcc -O2 -o sqlite3 tsrc/shell.c -ldl -lpthread -l:libsqlite3.a

I end up with an executable of 1.4MB in size. It still works but I think it's not right.

Now I try using -static option:

~/dev/build2$ gcc -O2 -o sqlite3 tsrc/shell.c sqlite3.c -ldl -lpthread -static
/tmp/ccJwxK50.o: In function `unixDlOpen':
sqlite3.c:(.text+0x43212): warning: Using 'dlopen' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
/tmp/ccsofMPw.o: In function `find_home_dir':
shell.c:(.text+0xdb8): warning: Using 'getpwuid' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking

I get 2 warnings about 2 instances where reference is made to shared glibc library. The executable is 1.1MB in size.

So that's my experience with playing around with sqlite so far. I've not really built any applications with it yet beyond the test with compiling the shell.c

Amr_not_Amr
November 23rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Thank you all, and special thanks to you, "seetho"!
Your reply helped me a lot .. Finally I can have a statically linked command line tool on x86_64 Linux ..

Based on your post;
You can download the amalgamation package;

wget http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-amalgamation-3.6.6.1.tar.gz

Then do;
./configure --enable-static --disable-shared --enable-tempstore && make ; echo $?

Then;
gcc -O3 -o sqlite3 shell.c sqlite3.c -ldl -lpthread -static

Then;
strip sqlite3