PDA

View Full Version : Fibonacci, programing or logic error

jpittack
November 14th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Am I programming wrong or is my brain scattered (logic error)?

Output from any number other than zero gives a blank line.

Compyx
November 14th, 2007, 11:51 PM
"On my honor as a student of the university of Nebraska at Omaha, I have neither given nore (sic) received unauthorized help on this homework assignment."

I'll give you a hint: learn to indent your code and don't ask us to do your homework.

jpittack
November 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I am allowed to use the forums. Unauthorized help is you giving me the code, not pointing out errors.

My instructor uses these forums. I know he will see it.

iharrold
November 15th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Your program does nothing with "number" that you pass into fibonnacci thus your in an infinite loop.

LaRoza
November 15th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Logic error, use google to find snippets that work. Sorry, I wouldn't post here the answer.

jpittack
November 15th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I have since revised the code. I now get -1 everytime and zero returns zero.

CptPicard
November 15th, 2007, 12:11 AM
It's trivial... your fibonacci-printing line is outside of the while block.

And don't use doubles. Fibonacci numbers are integers.

jpittack
November 15th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I was told to use doubles. It needs to handle the 96th number place. Why does it matter that the printing line is outside the while block? If I include it in the while statement, then if I put in zero I get no result.

CptPicard
November 15th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Hmm. I thought that's what it was supposed to do, quitting with 0 and otherwise looping and asking for numbers to print.

What do you mean handling the 96th place? I'm not sure why you're told to use doubles, if I was giving the assignment I wouldn't, as they're floating-point numbers... you CAN use them, but it's ... sort of weird.

jpittack
November 15th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Perhaps my code doesn't explain the assignment. Put in a number. This represents the place in the sequence. 0=0 1=1 2=2 3=3 4=5 5=8, etc. I must handle the 0 place up to the 96th place.

iharrold
November 15th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Perhaps my code doesn't explain the assignment. Put in a number. This represents the place in the sequence. 0=0 1=1 2=2 3=3 4=5 5=8, etc. I must handle the 0 place up to the 96th place.

Question for you... In C++ or C for that matter how do you check for equivalence of say if variable x is equivalent to variable z? I.e. what is the syntax?

CptPicard
November 15th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I'm not sure what your while loop does... isn't the fibonacci function the one that returns the nth place fibonacci number?

jpittack
November 15th, 2007, 12:29 AM
If x == z
set x = z

iharrold
November 15th, 2007, 12:30 AM
If x == z
set x = z

Now look at your equivalence test in your code....

jpittack
November 15th, 2007, 12:31 AM
The fibonacci function is to return the number that is in the place of the variable number which represents the place in the sequence.

So...I think you said it right.

CptPicard
November 15th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Could you just post your code within some code tags here, would be easier to check out ;)

jpittack
November 15th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Holy crap! Some popcorn for iharold :popcorn:

How could that throw off my program that much? Everything was just showing up as -1.

jpittack
November 15th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I can't use the tags because, well, I don't know how to copy paste out of putty.

CptPicard
November 15th, 2007, 12:35 AM
The difference between = and == is a rather typical source of bugs, especially because something like x = 1 still evaluates as true by virtue of assignment returning the value assigned and nonzero evaluating as true... so no wonder it throws off your code ;)

jpittack
November 15th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Please excuse my stupidity. I have been awake since 2:30 am and it is now 5:37 pm. Since we are on the subject, do you know how to get text out of putty?

CptPicard
November 15th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Hmm. How about painting the text by mouse and then pressing Control-C... or isn't that the copy command on Windows (too)?

jpittack
November 15th, 2007, 12:48 AM
That doesn't work. The computer I am connected to doesn't know what a mouse is.

I am trying to set the precsion of the output. Here are my notes. I am getting an eroor saying that setprescion is a variable.

cout << setprecision (2) << fixed << showpoint;

empty paramter list

()
(void)

Default arugements

(something I can't read over here) (const double & const)

yah, i can't understand it either