PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop in Ubuntu

Persepolis
November 9th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Hi,

To begin with I am completely new to Linux. I have used Ubuntu for just over 24 hours and I think it is great. I would like to know if you can run Photoshop on Ubuntu. If so could someone give me step by step instruction on how I could do this.

ticopelp
November 9th, 2007, 10:23 PM
You can run Photoshop in wine, which can be added through Add / Remove Programs, or (I think this will work) you can just click here (apt://wine).

Once you have wine installed, you should be able to install and run Photoshop much like you would in Windows.

Persepolis
November 10th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Hi,

Well success and failure. I installed Photoshop CS2 on windows, then switched to Ubuntu. I went to the Photoshop.exe file in the windows partition and ran it with wine and hey presto I had photoshop up and running, However, after a while it crashed and I had to force quit it. Now, whenever I try to run it, it says that there is a hardware problem and it will not load.

Any ideas??

:guitar:

Steve1961
November 10th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Just to give you another option. You could install a virtual copy of XP in virtualbox and then run Photoshop in that.

mech7
November 10th, 2007, 03:47 PM
ONly v7 seems to run normal under WINE..

Persepolis
November 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM
How do I install a virtual copy of XP in virtualbox???????

aethralis
November 11th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Have a look at http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads but I would actually recommend dual boot instead.

Nymphadora
November 12th, 2007, 06:34 AM

What sort of problems would CS2 Have, running in WIne? I've actually been looking into this as well.

vishzilla
November 12th, 2007, 06:48 AM
How about trying Gimp. its quite good and its getting there to the level of Photoshop. I suggest learning a few tutorials from the website!!

anaconda
November 12th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I got the portable photoshop cs2 running well in wine without problems..

But nowadays I just prefer krita.. expecially when we will get the new 2.0 version

mech7
November 12th, 2007, 08:49 PM
What sort of problems would CS2 Have, running in WIne? I've actually been looking into this as well.

Installing / Activating for one :lolflag: there is a cracked copy portable version that runs but it has bugs.. well atleast that was my experience. v7 runs quite good except that it lacks features from cs2/3 :(

por100pre1
November 12th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Installing / Activating for one :lolflag: there is a cracked copy portable version that runs but it has bugs.. well atleast that was my experience. v7 runs quite good except that it lacks features from cs2/3 :(

Who needs cracked software? There's FOSS available: GIMP.

Nymphadora
November 13th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Who needs cracked software? There's FOSS available: GIMP.

I've been playing around in Gimp, but there are particular features in CS2 that I love, specifically - that even PS7 doesn't handle well. That's why I hope to be able to run it in Ubuntu somehow.

tyler22
November 13th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Say no to cracked software.

If someone wishes to charge money for software it is their right. You wouldn't use a car that didn't belong to you because it had a "cracked" car alarm.

tyler22
November 13th, 2007, 03:35 AM
I've been playing around in Gimp, but there are particular features in CS2 that I love, specifically - that even PS7 doesn't handle well. That's why I hope to be able to run it in Ubuntu somehow.

Virtual box is good and very easy to use.

anaconda
November 13th, 2007, 12:11 PM

I had just 2 problems.
1. It runs in all virtual desktops. There was a workaround for that. so that wine would open cs2 in a separate window.. or something like that.

2. fonts didn't work, but I didn't even try to install windows fonts. Installing them to wine would probably have solved that problem

por100pre1
November 14th, 2007, 02:09 AM

If you have a legally licensed copy of CS2 go ahead, try to run it in Ubuntu. Cracked software is always bad news.

Goombie
November 15th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Hi,

Well success and failure. I installed Photoshop CS2 on windows, then switched to Ubuntu. I went to the Photoshop.exe file in the windows partition and ran it with wine and hey presto I had photoshop up and running, However, after a while it crashed and I had to force quit it. Now, whenever I try to run it, it says that there is a hardware problem and it will not load.

Any ideas??

All you did was install Photoshop for Windows. To install Photoshop in Linux, you have to install it to Wine's fake "Windows" folders. To do this:
1) Boot into Linux.
2) Insert your Photoshop CD.
3) Navigate to your CD drive.
4) Look for the program named setup.exe, or something like that. I don't have Photoshop, so I don't know what the exact name is.
5) Right-click that program, and look for an option named "Open With.. Wine Windows Emulator."
6) Click that option.
7) The Photoshop install program should now start, and you can proceed as usual.

Disclaimer: I cannot make any guarantees about the above steps, as I don't have Photoshop, so I had no way of testing them. :) Good luck!

mdpalow
November 15th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Photoshop won't work well in Wine unless you use version 7, which you don't want to do.

Use VMware or Virtualbox and you'll be a happy, happy camper. Promise. :)

If you were my personal friend, I would recommend VMware. :) I have a friend who did Virtualbox and it ran well, but he had a few minor issues that I never had, plus I thought VMware was easier to use.

good luck....

NRTech
November 15th, 2007, 06:05 AM
I have just installed Virtual Box on Ubuntu 7.10 but when I attempt to Start the Windows Installation, I get an error as attached...
I have added the Virtual Box site to my repositories, but it fails to bring in any updates. Has anyone run into this problem?
Thanks

zakk
November 15th, 2007, 08:56 AM
How about trying Gimp. its quite good and its getting there to the level of Photoshop. I suggest learning a few tutorials from the website!!

GIMP is not Photoshop.
- no shapes
- no effect/adjustment layers
- no way to copy effects from a layer to another
- no layer groups
- no CMYK, no 16bit image handling (for photo and printing professionals)
- no layer linking (yes, there is, but you cant link layer1+2, and layer3+4, because you will have all 1+2+3+4 layers linked)
- no guideline snapping to selection (its just annoying)
- very bad interface (window management, too much dialogs, etc)
- edit: and one important thing: text handling. No in place text editing, and you cant use different fonts/sizes/colors in one text box.
- etc.

nandaiyo
November 15th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Well said. :KS

smartalecks
November 15th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Do not use Virtual Box or any other VM app if all you want to do is run Photoshop. Install wine (sudo apt-get install wine), and once it is done installing run

$ winecfg
Set it to emulate Windows XP...

Next, put in the CD and either:
1. Navigate to CDROM drive, right click 'setup.exe' or 'install.exe' or whatever it is.
2. Copy all the files to a folder on your desktop. Open a terminal and

$ cd "/home/USERNAME/Desktop/FilesFolder"
$ wine setup.exe

And follow the prompts to install it...

Either way is fine, but if you copy the files to your desktop first and run setup.exe in the terminal it should go a bit faster and it'll report what errors occur.

Once it is done installing, you can make a desktop launcher that points to:

wine "/home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Adobe/Photoshop.exe"

Or whatever/wherever the .exe is... should be something like that.
It should install fine! It received a platinum rating on Wine's AppDB (highest) http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2631

Photonic Nature
November 15th, 2007, 09:34 PM
If you’re straddling the fence between OSes, who says you have to choose?

Just as with languages, different operating systems have strengths and weaknesses. You may prefer Linux for day-to-day use but need Windows XP for certain applications. Maybe you’ve upgraded to Vista but have some applications that currently only run under WinXP.

Gone are the days when you were limited to a single operating system per computer. And setting up a system to run more than one OS isn’t the geek-intensive operation it used to be. In fact, there are so many options available these days that the permutations are almost endless

Boot Me Up

The most common way to run multiple operating systems is to set up a dual-boot or multiboot machine.

In practice, the order in which you load the operating systems can make a big difference to how easy your life is going to be.
Although Linux boot loaders are pretty smart about identifying and configuring both the Linux and Windows installations, the same cannot be said for Windows.

Because the basic rule of thumb is that the last OS installed is going to “own” the boot record (although you can tell Linux not to overwrite it, unlike Windows), things work out better if you install Windows first.

:!: As with any operation that mucks around with your hard drive, backing up any critical data before doing this is a wise move.

You also need to be careful if you update your Windows installation, since it may rewrite the MBR record. As a last resort, you can use a bootable Linux CD to mount the Linux filesystem and rerun GRUB against the GRUB configuration file currently on the root filesystem of the hard drive. This is obviously not a simple process. You can also make a bootable floppy disk with GRUB and the configuration file, which lets you boot into Linux even if the MBR is rewritten.

The Virtual Approach

Another common method of putting multiple OSes together under one roof is virtualization. The most common way to do this is using VMware (www.vmware.com (http://www.vmware.com)); the basic server and player are now available for free. Using this approach, one operating system runs inside the other. Virtualization has the advantage of letting you use both OSes at once, but it has disadvantages of its own.

For one thing, both OSes are likely to take a pretty significant performance hit. Although VMware has become more efficient, you still can’t get more cycles out of your processor than it had to begin with. Don’t expect a virtual OS to perform as well as a native OS.

Also, the “guest” operating system won’t have all of its features and abilities at its disposal. Again, VMware has made improvements in this regard, but some low-level hardware drivers or graphics capabilities may not be available. Running high-performance games in a VMware image may be difficult, if not impossible.

VMware also offers a product that eliminates the host OS altogether. Its ESX Server runs on “bare metal,” effectively acting as the host operating system itself, and is tuned to run VMs with minimal overhead. But unlike the basic server and player, ESX carries a significant price tag that will keep it out of the price range of anyone but an enterprise customer.
---
*Excerpts above from a copy of CPU Mag. (Computer Power User (http://www.computerpoweruser.com))
August 2007 • Vol.7 Issue 8
Page(s) 66-70 in print issue
Article: Bet You Can’t Boot Just One

In Summary

Versions of Photoshop higher than v7 will not run in wine.
Running Photoshop in a VM will severely tax both OS's
All the resources Photoshop is looking for and used to using will not be available.*

*Especially if you use a dual monitor setup like I do for PS with the tool sets on the other screen.

Moral of the story

Dual Boot ! - and make sure winblows is installed first.
Submit to the MS gods and run whatever apps that are not team players yet on XP (NOT Vista!!)
Bad Vista (http://badvista.fsf.org/)
Whats wrong with Vista? (http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-microsoft-windows-vista)

Until the Linux community gets up to speed and really puts forth a earnest effort to evangelize Linux to become more mainstream and begins to press the software and hardware companies to support it, we will always be plagued with the legacy of Bill.

The 3 key players I have seen making efforts for conversion of the masses from winblows are; PCLinux (http://www.pclinuxos.com/), Ubuntu, and Linspire (http://www.linspire.com/) which is based on ubuntu.

Edit: PCLinux is free OSS and Linspire is sold commercially due to the proprietary software, drivers, and codecs built into it making it the "World's Easiest Desktop Linux!" freespire is the free version.
(Remember now, it's based on ubuntu. So, for the technically challenged you know, who don't possess the inclination to search here and tinker under the hood via the command line... I recommend Linspire)

~R

fjgaude
November 15th, 2007, 10:34 PM

Version 6 of Photoshop also runs okay in wine. I could never get PS CS to run so changed to VMware Server.

Mithrilhall
November 15th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I would recommend the VMware route as well. I've run v7 of Photoshop in Wine and it still had a few bugs but that was over a year ago.

aonegodman
February 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I tried using GIMP to edit and print a couple digital photos on my Canon i455 printer and the results were ok but not as good as PaintShop Pro in Windows.

I would get vivid sharp printing from PSpro, but GIMP's pictures print a bit faded. Any ideas?

Thanks.

arteest
February 19th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I'm new, but I just downloaded wine with the intention of installing PS7. Thanx for the link.

mech7
February 19th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I'm new, but I just downloaded wine with the intention of installing PS7. Thanx for the link.

CS 2 runs fine now under WINE since recently..

kristjans
February 19th, 2008, 08:08 AM
4 things to do for Photoshop lovers on Linux before trying to run it with Wine/VMware/dualboot :)

Try out GIMP (Meet the GIMP (http://meetthegimp.org/) for tutorials).
Try out CinePaint.
Try out Krita.
Tell Adobe that you want (and pay for; Adobe is a for-profit company) a Linux version of Photoshop.

Tux Aubrey
February 19th, 2008, 09:46 AM
CS 2 runs fine now under WINE since recently..

Apparently that is thanks to Google's Summer of Code sponsorship. But there are still some known bugs - read all about it (http://apcmag.com/8034/google_behind_photoshops_new_linux_compatibility).

(I'm a big GIMP fan myself)

jcornuz
February 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Hi there,

You won't find all the features of Photoshop in The Gimp - or any other Linux program, for that matter. So you can either

to the Wine route (with an older version of Photoshop)
go the Virtual machine route (with a performance penalty)
go the Linux route (use a combination of several OSS apps to cover your needs - and yes this includes quirks, workarounds and learning to use new tools)

If that last route if of interest, have a look at my blog (http://jcornuz.wordpress.com/) - I try to bring together all the know how necessary to use Linux for serious photography.

Take care,

Joel

jorgerosa
February 20th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Just an idea... (seems great, to me) ;)
authorīs main idea: "make users of Photoshop feel comfortable using GIMP"

Gimp + Photoshop = GimpShop (Home Page (http://www.gimpshop.com/index.shtml), Tutorials (http://www.upstateforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4464))

dmn_clown
February 21st, 2008, 12:18 AM
Just an idea... (seems great, to me) ;)
authorīs main idea: "make users of Photoshop feel comfortable using GIMP"

Gimp + Photoshop = GimpShop (Home Page (http://www.gimpshop.com/index.shtml), Tutorials (http://www.upstateforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4464))

But that is just the gimp with a hacked UI you still do not have the feature set nor the technical capabilities of PS.

Oh, and for the record the only reason Adobe isn't porting PS to Linux and companies like Google have to fund Wine to support newer versions of PS is because they don't see a large enough market for PS on the platform.

Google is only the latest company to do this, Disney funded Wine to get PS 7 working.

So, as has already been stated, be sure to mention to Adobe that you would be willing to buy their next version, but only as long as they port it to Linux, but ask them to keep the stupid MDI on Windows, we don't need or want it.

mech7
February 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
I wonder how the color profiles work though under linux? I am no expert in this.. so i can't say for sure..

dmn_clown
February 22nd, 2008, 02:53 AM
I wonder how the color profiles work though under linux? I am no expert in this.. so i can't say for sure..

I can't say how they work in Photoshop, but most native programs use liblcms and the patent encumbered icc profiles available in the package icc-profiles.

littlemog
February 22nd, 2008, 02:58 AM
Maybe we should start a petition of some sorts. get the community aroused.