PDA

View Full Version : Pascal programming lanugage?

Kadrus
November 7th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Euuh..I don't think Pascal works on Ubuntu..so I was wondering if it does..
I searched for packages but I couldn't find any..so..does anyone know how to install it?

LaRoza
November 7th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I searched for packages but I couldn't find any..so..does anyone know how to install it?

sudo aptitude install gpc

http://www.gnu-pascal.de/gpc/h-index.html

Search harder...

Kadrus
November 7th, 2007, 06:58 PM
sudo aptitude install gpc

http://www.gnu-pascal.de/gpc/h-index.html

Search harder...
Thanks LaRoza..you know everything :):):p

pmasiar
November 7th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Why you need pascal? seems to be rather obsolete these days.

Kadrus
November 7th, 2007, 08:08 PM

I am a free man..aren't I?

pmasiar
November 7th, 2007, 10:29 PM

Of course. Feel free to waste your time on obsolete languages. maybe in a while you will be the only one using it, and then you win!

LaRoza
November 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM

You are only as free as you think you are...

I don't know why you are using Pascal, I tried it (that is how I knew the compiler name), but I didn't think much of it. I didn't even add it to my wiki.

j_g
November 7th, 2007, 11:11 PM

If you can't answer the OP's question, please refrain from posting off-topic, non-answers in a thread.

Just because you can click on a "Post Reply" button, doesn't mean that you should do so in every thread.

samjh
November 8th, 2007, 01:22 AM

While Pascal was once a very popular language, it is hardly used these days, even for teaching.

So unless you are using Pascal because of school/college/university, I'd strongly recommend you adopt a more modern programming language instead.

BobHur
November 8th, 2007, 05:24 AM
In around 2000-2001 I asked an IT guy why the company was still using RPG III. He said "because this company has tens of thousands of dollars invested in the system we have, and it works fine except for an occasional tweaking and adding some custom code when needed. Go tell the company owner he needs to throw all that away because it's an outdated computer language and see what he says". :)

loell
November 8th, 2007, 05:33 AM
isn't pascal linux = lazarus ?

samjh
November 8th, 2007, 06:41 AM
isn't pascal linux = lazarus ?

No, nein, nyet, non!

Lazarus is a Borland Delphi-like IDE for FreePascal.

For Linux, Pascal is largely divided into GNU Pascal (the gpc compiler), and Free Pascal (the fpc compiler). I personally think Free Pascal is better. ;)

pmasiar
November 8th, 2007, 02:33 PM
If you can't answer the OP's question, please refrain from posting off-topic, non-answers in a thread.

Just because you can click on a "Post Reply" button, doesn't mean that you should do so in every thread.

Oh, I am sorry sir. I did not know you work for Thought Police, sir.

I will be more careful now, sir.

Can I now go home please? I promise I will never reply in a thread where you posted, sir. Honest!

slavik
November 8th, 2007, 02:38 PM
PASCAL is great to look at the opposite thought against C (who frees the stack after a function is called? the actual function that was called or the function that called it?)