PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu or Kubuntu ?

Hagar55
November 5th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I'm reinstalling after an unfortunate mishap rendered my install unusable.
Now I was using Ubuntu, but I never found some things, like advanced settings for the display. I downloaded theKubuntu live cd just to see what it looks like, and it seems you have some more options there.

Is Kubuntu more detailed in features then Ubuntu or just another desktop enviroment with strenghts and weaknesses ?

Anyone know some good pro's en con's for both systems ?

ofb
November 5th, 2007, 01:17 PM
As a generalization, Kubuntu has more settings available to you, while Gnome tries to simplify interface down to an ideal of 'what you need'.

It's worth adding that Kubuntu will have KDE 4 with the next release, which is a major update.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kde_4

Zorael
November 5th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I prefer Kubuntu over Ubuntu.

And for simplicity and low memory fingerprint, I think I prefer Xubuntu over Ubuntu. :>

Asraniel
November 5th, 2007, 03:10 PM
for me kubuntu is also superior to ubuntu. But it's up to each person what fits more their needs (if you already have ubuntu, just install kubuntu-desktop in synaptic to get kde).

mummra1
November 5th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I think that for the latest Ubuntu release (Gutsy), KDE is far superior to GNOME in terms of performance and responsiveness.

gatewayasteroid
November 5th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I prefer Kubuntu over Ubuntu.

And for simplicity and low memory fingerprint, I think I prefer Xubuntu over Ubuntu. :>

I made some memory measurements: a full blown Xubuntu system is heavier than installing a command line system (from the alternate CD) and adding xorg, kde-core and a few apps I use (firefox, smplayer, twinkle, knode, and some others).

Xubuntu (or better xorg+xfce4 from a CLI system) is really light if you don't use many apps.

Aposp
November 5th, 2007, 06:12 PM
its a matter of personal opinion.

i have chosen gnome (ubuntu) over kde , cause simply i am used to it, and it appeals more to my liking. Likewise, another user could preffer kubuntu

I would advise you to install either of the two, and u can simply have both installled afterward.
You can have both kde and gnome installed on your machine, test them em out for a period of time, then have an opinion of your own.

I hope i helped you out to make a proper choice

mexlinux
November 5th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Basically the differences relay on the differnces of the Desktop-Apps:
You can see the difference between both in this blog:
http://www.bbnuke.com/kdevsgnome

AndyCooll
November 5th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Pays your money takes your pick (so to speak). IMHO GNOME/Ubuntu wipes the floor with KDE/Kubuntu and I find it much easier to use. However that may be because it was the DE I first used when starting out with Linux and has been the one I've used ever since. It does everything I require of it and keeps things simple. There will be others however who have similar positive views but in favour of KDE. It's one of the beauties of Linux ...choice.

Furthermore, there are some KDE apps that I prefer over their GNOME equivalents, Amarok for example. Which brings us to a further strength with Linux, you don't have to stick to only GNOME or KDE apps depending on your DE.

I usually recommend Ubuntu for beginners since this is what the majority of folk on these forums use and for which they are most easily going to get help. Once they've grasped the basics, if they so wish they can try out other DE's and find the one that suits them best.

:cool:

Tanker Bob
November 5th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I started on gnome, but was dissatisfied with its oversimplicity. I wanted to do lots of stuff that I could not. So after a while, I tried kde for grins and really liked it. I've been using kde ever since. I like the application set in kde much better than the one in gnome, especially krusader, k3b, and kate. kde looks great with compiz as well.

Different stokes for different folks. Some like brown, some prefer blue. Some like the simplicity of gnome, others the flexibility and visuals of kde. I expect kde to get even better with the 4.0 release next month.

-grubby
November 5th, 2007, 11:13 PM
GNOME for easiness(is that a word?) and simplicity
KDE for options but it's a bit harder