PDA

View Full Version : What field of science do you work in?

tak1150
November 4th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I wanted to get a feel of what field Ubuntu-scientists work in.
So if you got a copy of Ubuntu and you get paid for doing science, please vote! Forgive me in advance if the way I organized the poll options is not the way you would've done it. Sorry.

For those of you who work in a multi-disciplinary way, please pick the closest.
Forgive my obvious bias towards natural sciences :)

LaserJock
November 4th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Well, you split up Chemistry, but don't have my field, Physical Chemistry. :-)

-LaserJock

tak1150
November 4th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Ouch. Yes. I knew I'd mess it up. Sorry. I don't think I can add / subtract options any more :(
Perhaps Physics?
Or if there is a kind moderator around, could you add "physical chemistry" to Physics (ie "Physics / Physical Chemistry")?

Stebbins
November 5th, 2007, 11:46 PM
You forgot mathematics.

tak1150
November 6th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Yes, I'm so sorry! I hope you'll be ok with it, but perhaps a kind moderator could add "Mathematics" to "Engineering"? Thanks.

I'm sorry for the sloppiness of this poll. Obviously I had not put in enough thoughts into it. And consequently it is totally biased by my own field (organic chemistry).

I hope y'all enjoy the ever-changing (and improving) poll!

Tak

tak1150
November 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Where are all the chemists?
Are you out there?

Mr/Ms Moderator-
Could you please add "Mathematics" to "Engineering"? Thank you and sorry for my sloppiness.

Tak

tak1150
November 17th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I just can't believe I'm the only orgo chemist! There's got to be more of you! But it is interesting to see that from this statistically not-so-significant poll, the majority of Ubuntu-using scientists are biologists of some sort. Those of you who participated, thank you!

Tak

tweedledee
November 18th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I just can't believe I'm the only orgo chemist! There's got to be more of you! But it is interesting to see that from this statistically not-so-significant poll, the majority of Ubuntu-using scientists are biologists of some sort. Those of you who participated, thank you!

Tak

As a biochemist working in a chemistry department, this doesn't surprise me at all. My experience is that chemists are firmly wedded to MS Word, Endnote, and Chemdraw, and have not the least inclination to try anything different. Other than the theorists, I am probably the only person in a 300+ person department running Linux of any sort as a primary OS (some labs have workstations running Red Hat, but they are only used for specific applications). And even the theorists generally use Windows more. On the other hand, probably because the limiting programs are available for Mac, something close to 20% of the department uses OS X. Scifinder Scholar is another major limitation for Linux users, which doesn't bother me because I generally use PubMed.

For whatever reason, biologists tend to be less attached to Windows, possibly because so many of the powerful bioinformatics tools are Linux/Unix based.

tak1150
November 18th, 2007, 05:03 PM
As a biochemist working in a chemistry department, this doesn't surprise me at all. My experience is that chemists are firmly wedded to MS Word, Endnote, and Chemdraw, and have not the least inclination to try anything different. Other than the theorists, I am probably the only person in a 300+ person department running Linux of any sort as a primary OS (some labs have workstations running Red Hat, but they are only used for specific applications). And even the theorists generally use Windows more. On the other hand, probably because the limiting programs are available for Mac, something close to 20% of the department uses OS X. Scifinder Scholar is another major limitation for Linux users, which doesn't bother me because I generally use PubMed.

For whatever reason, biologists tend to be less attached to Windows, possibly because so many of the powerful bioinformatics tools are Linux/Unix based.

Yeah. I agree with you that biologists would have easier time leaving Windows (though some of the sequence analysis programs are only available for Windows). But in the chem dept at the university where I used to work at, there were 4 organic profs and 1 of them used Windows, 2 of them Mac, 1 of them Linux. Actually that Linux guy was a physical organic chemist and so you're right that he's kind of a theorist.

We used to use Fedora for the NMR workstation and we still use Sun Unix for that purpose, but the new NMR we just got uses all Windows! (boo). It's a pain to have Win workstation, because I can't easily set up an SSH server so I can get the data over the network, etc.

As for organic chemist's desktops, the only hindrance I see to switching to, say, Ubuntu, is ChemDraw (see this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=411537)). SciFinder actually works perfectly with newer versions of WINE. I love SciFinder (I spend ~1 hr every day on it at work) and you can get pretty comprehensive literature on biochemical things as well.

Anyways, it's always nice to talk to other fellow scientist-Ubuntuers.

Tak

doowgof
November 19th, 2007, 02:29 AM
I'm a Chemical Engineer so I chose Engineering. :popcorn:

achianese
November 21st, 2007, 09:49 PM
I'm a synthetic chemist; both inorganic and organic, but chose inorganic for the poll.