PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu v. Xubuntu performance difference experiences?

Kappity
November 3rd, 2007, 06:33 PM
This is just a newbie's two cents based on short term personal experience. Take it with a grain of salt, of course.

Lot's of threads here on Ubuntu vs Xubuntu. My first post here was to ask which I should use on a slowish, oldish, computer, 500 MHz Celeron, 512 MB RAM, unimpressive video adapter.

I went with Ubuntu and it worked fine. If it was slow, this showed up mostly in a long boot-up period. However, last week I decided to see if Xubuntu might be a bit faster on this system. I thought of just installing the XFCE desktop, but decided to go for the full Xubuntu experience. I didn't have that many files to back up, so I just wiped the original Ubuntu installation and went with a fresh Xubuntu 7.10 install.

Well, I like it. The simple XFCE desktop gets the job done, and I can still do everything I did before. I think I'll keep it this way on this computer.

On the other hand, I can't say I really notice any difference in performance. It might boot up just a little bit quicker, but that's about it. Yes, I know, that's not a quantitative benchmark. :)

I was just wondering, at what level of RAM, processor speed, or other specs, have people started to notice a real difference between Ubuntu and Xubuntu? Yes, I have read the minimum install specs for both, but I'm asking about user experience.

-grubby
November 3rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
Well, xubuntu runs much faster on more modern systems than Ubuntu does.