PDA

View Full Version : Gimp AND RAW images

AJB2K3
November 2nd, 2007, 07:37 AM
Just to let people know that the good guys behind ufraw and made a plugin which work in gimp 2.4 rc3 to handle these raw images
It works with fuji's ccd-raw format (.raf)

nemesis8601
November 2nd, 2007, 11:12 PM
Can GIMP open Canon's .CR2 format RAW images? I've tried opening them and I've just gotten error messages. Is there a plug-in I can install?

BTW, Adobe Photoshop 6.0 (yes, VERY old version...) can't open them either, and I'm not sure if newer versions can. So far I've been using the packaged Canon software, which only runs on Windows and Mac OS X.

_sAm_
November 3rd, 2007, 12:03 AM
nemesis8601; take a look at this site: http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Cameras.html

You need to install the RAW converter called ufraw, you can either take the standalone program or as a plugin for the Gimp. It works very good! Make a search in Synaptic and you will find both.

Here is another tip; the site www.meetthegimp.org has a lot of video turials on how to use Gimp for photo editing(included raw converting with ufraw), they are even using Ubuntu for this. Personally I really liked them, I think they are very good, and thanks to them I now know how to use Gimp. So check it out:-)

Edit; fixed typo in url

dada1958
November 3rd, 2007, 01:24 AM
Here is another tip; the site www.meethegimp.org has a lot of video turials on how to use Gimp for photo editing(included raw converting with ufraw), they are even using Ubuntu for this. Personally I really liked them, I think they are very good, and thanks to them I now know how to use Gimp. So check it out:-)
Thnx for the url, in spite of the typo :)
http://meetthegimp.org/

AJB2K3
November 3rd, 2007, 09:41 AM
ookmarking the site now.Thanks for the link, im only just trying to find out what the raw is used for so im b

_sAm_
November 3rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Aa, sorry for the typo; thanks for telling me(I will fix it).

nemesis8601;
ufraw should have no problem opening your RAW files, and the same goes for the rest of the RAW converters for Linux.

I have another tip for you; there is a plugin for Gimp called refocus(http://refocus.sourceforge.net/), it should be much better then the sharpen&USM filter in Gimp. And there is a lots of others to that I will take a closer look at!

I just love Gimp more and more:-)

Breepee
November 4th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Do any of you use Raw Therapee ( http://rawtherapee.com )? I find it works much much better for those typical raw edits you want to do than the Gimp.

jcornuz
November 5th, 2007, 11:23 AM
No kidding - and no spam :)

http://jcornuz.wordpress.com

I am trying to put together as much useful stuff as I can on Linux and photography, including RAW processing software, Color management and so on (Gimp, Cinepaint, Ufraw...).

You probably will find some answer there (the article on RawTherapee should be published today, hopefully).

Take care,

Joel

AJB2K3
November 5th, 2007, 08:55 PM
No kidding - and no spam :)

http://jcornuz.wordpress.com

I am trying to put together as much useful stuff as I can on Linux and photography, including RAW processing software, Color management and so on (Gimp, Cinepaint, Ufraw...).

You probably will find some answer there (the article on RawTherapee should be published today, hopefully).

Take care,

Joel
Did you make the site or use a template?
Because on first view its clean and nicly laid out.

jcornuz
November 5th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Hi there,

The blog is from wordpress (contempt theme, if you want to know).
The photographs are my own design.

Let's say I would be more flattered if you spoke about the second one, but I am not sure :-k

Take care,

Joel

_sAm_
November 5th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Nice site jcornuz, interesting reading. The tip to remove haze was very good. You have got yourself another reader:-)

Perhaps you could write something about(test) best program on Linux for tagging pictures(hint hint). I just don’t get it; if you tag your music files you can change the program later, the tags will bee where you saved them. But if you tag your pictures with, for example F-Spot you cant just open them in Digikam or Picasa. And I have changed those so they save in the metadata. So is there any standard here(and are there any programs that are following it), is it possible to import tags from one program to another, and witch options have we.

I don’t want to do a big job with tags and then get “stuck” with one program. But on the other hand Tracker kan search for tags within the file, so thats good. But .. not good enough.

jcornuz
November 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Hi sAm,

Thanks for the hint... I'll see what I do with it.

In the meantime, you want to make sure your program uses IPTC tags which are really included in the photo file (a standard way) as opposed to for example, the program storing tags in its own database format.

Take care.

Joel

_sAm_
November 6th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I know, but what usage has the tags when the program you want to use cant access them.

If you tag a mp3 file, the “Artist” will always bee “Artist” with all programs you later use, so you could shift from one program to another(or from musicprogram as Amarok to anther and so on) and always be able to use the tags.

When it comes to tags for pictures, it is different, even when using the IPTC.
Lets say you spend a lot of time tagging your pictures with F-Spot on Gnome. Then you shift to KDE and want to use Digikam(I know you still could use F-Spot, but lets say you don’t want that). One of the benefits with tags is that you can find the pictures fast and easy (by clicking the tags icons within the program). But you can’t do that in Digikam, since Digikam use a different order; “Places” turns into “People” and so on. So if I tag a picture "Emma", the tag "Emma" would show up under Places, and not the person Emma. Mess!

AJB2K3
November 6th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I know, but what usage has the tags when the program you want to use cant access them.

If you tag a mp3 file, the “Artist” will always bee “Artist” with all programs you later use, so you could shift from one program to another(or from musicprogram as Amarok to anther and so on) and always be able to use the tags.

When it comes to tags for pictures, it is different, even when using the IPTC.
Lets say you spend a lot of time tagging your pictures with F-Spot on Gnome. Then you shift to KDE and want to use Digikam(I know you still could use F-Spot, but lets say you don’t want that). One of the benefits with tags is that you can find the pictures fast and easy (by clicking the tags icons within the program). But you can’t do that in Digikam, since Digikam use a different order; “Places” turns into “People” and so on. So if I tag a picture "Emma", the tag "Emma" would show up under Places, and not the person Emma. Mess!
Excuse if this sound noobish ( I am still trying to work out the benifits of raw)
Mp3's were built with tags as part of its protocal wereas I don't thing the images were built with it.

Sounds good though.

_sAm_
November 6th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I was talking about jpg files, I and never tag the raw files. You could download video 12 from meetthegimp.org to learn about the benifits of raw:-)

jcornuz
November 7th, 2007, 09:37 AM
sAm,

I think iptc is a "standard" for photo tagging.

Now the question is to find whether your favorite image viewer supports it or if you have to change the viewer....

Take care,

Joel

Breepee
November 7th, 2007, 09:41 AM
xmp is another standard for JPG tagging.

Sadly, tagging for images is not as standardized as for music files. I would love rhythmbox like software for my images and then also software on other platform like that.

_sAm_
November 7th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I was reading another thread where one person wanted to change from F-Spot to Digikam, and had problems with the tags. The program could see the tags, but not use them. The solution was to some kind of script(to hard for me), to change the order of the keywords so they matched the new program.
Would bee great to have a small program with GUI, witch would let you import/export tags from the most known photo collection programs for Linux. But it would be even better if those programs instead decided to use the same order, so the user could shift if they wanted without any problem. I understand why closed software don’t want to do this(lockin), but not open and free software.

jcornuz
November 8th, 2007, 12:04 PM
sAm,

That's why I never use Tags :-P
Paper printed photographs index, you can't beat that...

Take care,

Joel

AJB2K3
November 8th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I have a simpler method that come from win 3.1

Give the file a proper name. and folder.

Breepee
November 10th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Thing is you can't do as much with folders and filenames as you can with tags. Tags allow you to make different queries each time, while folders allow you only one way of viewing.

burt_57
November 12th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Do any of you use Raw Therapee ( http://rawtherapee.com )? I find it works much much better for those typical raw edits you want to do than the Gimp.

I have downloaded the file...but how do you set it up?
I see the folder in my home place but that is it.
How do you make it work as a program? OR exe.
I am so close to let go off Windows ...if I can find a good raw converter and sub. for PhotoShop CS2 :confused:

AJB2K3
November 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM
You need to extract the file. You need to learn how to untar a file.
Ufraw is in the repo's, and so is cinipaint.

burt_57
November 12th, 2007, 11:48 PM
You need to extract the file. You need to learn how to untar a file.
Ufraw is in the repo's, and so is cinipaint.

UNTAR?
You are talking to a new user here.
Anyway thanks. :lolflag:

jcornuz
November 13th, 2007, 09:33 AM
OK, let's teach a man to fish, then :)

The file you downloaded is called rawtherapee22_glibc24.tgz

tgz is a Linux equivalent to zip, if you want. So copy this rawtherapee22...tgz to your home directory, right click on it and chose the "extract here..." option. You will end up with a RawTherapee folder. Open it and click on rt - behold, this should load RawTherapee.

Good luck !

Joel

burt_57
November 14th, 2007, 02:05 AM
OK, let's teach a man to fish, then :)

The file you downloaded is called rawtherapee22_glibc24.tgz

tgz is a Linux equivalent to zip, if you want. So copy this rawtherapee22...tgz to your home directory, right click on it and chose the "extract here..." option. You will end up with a RawTherapee folder. Open it and click on rt - behold, this should load RawTherapee.

Good luck !

Joel

I have redownloaded the program now it work :)
Thanks anyway.
But nothing will beat RawShooter Pro that was bought by Adobe and do not provide service for it.............Adobe just garbage it for their own raw viewer that I do not like.
If you like a copy that I have bought let me know " RawShooterPro " for Windows Xp

:guitar:

saralsasidharan
February 7th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Awesome solutions thank you people very much

BlinkinCat
February 7th, 2012, 07:58 AM
This thread is far too old -