PDA

View Full Version : From Ubuntu to another dsitro

rjmdomingo2003
November 1st, 2007, 09:58 AM
Kumusta mga kabayan!

Madalas akong "mapasyal" sa distrowatch.com at nakita kong marami palang various distros available at our disposal, ika nga. Tinignan ko yung top 20 (their websites & related links), et al, at na-iinganyo akong subukan specifically linux mint, dreamlinux, pcbsd.

I consider myself a slight noob sa Ubuntu (still @ Feisty, not dual-booting sa Windows nor Mac). Sa pagka-newb-friendly ng Ubuntu (GUI, Synaptic, OpenOffice, GIMP), to try another distro, alin ang recommendable ones (not necessarily dun sa nabanggit ko)?

Mabuhay!:guitar:

x.3r0
November 1st, 2007, 10:51 AM
1. PCLinuxOS
2. Puppy (but you might not like the desktop lay-out)
3. Sabayon (a little effort to get used to but worth the try)
4. Damn Small Linux

of course...
5. Debian
6. Fedora
7. Slackware (hard to install, but very stable)

loell
November 1st, 2007, 10:57 AM
mandriva 2008 :)

vixta ;)

k0rfain
November 1st, 2007, 10:58 AM
fedora! debian is good also :D

rjmdomingo2003
November 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM
vixta ;)

Napatingin tuloy ako sa distrowatch..):P

RebounD11
November 1st, 2007, 11:38 AM
OpenSuSE
Sabayon
Fedora

rjmdomingo2003
November 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys! Overwhelmed naman ako sa feedback nyo.

I'm leaning towards trying Debian & PCLinuxOS.

If being more out-of-the-box (i.e. hardware support) comparable to or better than Ubuntu, and good support community (aka ubuntuforums.org) which distro then?

ragadanga63
November 2nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Puppy Prism-it has all the software you need yet it's still blazingly fast. I'm currently burning a NimbleX Live CD, will post later how it went.

wersdaluv
November 4th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Kubuntu, OpenSuSE, Mandriva, Fedora, Debian, and PCLinuxOS

:KS

Sutukh19
November 5th, 2007, 01:48 AM
I am wanting to also try out Sabayon Linux; I am currently dual booting UBUNTU Gutsy and WinXP, What is the best method for me to install Sabayon in place of Ubuntu on my system as I already have another laptop running UBUNTU. I may be interested in triple booting if that is possible also.

ragadanga63
November 5th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Triple booting is possible. Just install Sabayon in another hard drive partition. GRUB will detect existing OS's and display them for u to choose from during booting.

x.3r0
November 5th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys! Overwhelmed naman ako sa feedback nyo.

I'm leaning towards trying Debian & PCLinuxOS.

If being more out-of-the-box (i.e. hardware support) comparable to or better than Ubuntu, and good support community (aka ubuntuforums.org) which distro then?

Definitely Debian is the most prolific distribution out-there but beware there is so much software in its repository that you'll get lost in it, literally. but the good news is the community is one of the best if not the best. regarding hardware support it is the same with ubuntu, if its not there because it's not free then the multiverse is your solution. I've been with debian and i've even successfully develop my thesis using DAMP.

PCLinuxOS is great also, because it's Mandriva with additional codecs you'll find it very "out-of-the-box", mostly just install and use. I've used Mandriva in the past and quite frankly this is better by software installation by default. but Mandriva have a very good repository so packages is not a problem if you have a very good internet connection.

But to redeem myself.. you don't have to move to another distro because ubuntu has better software development timeline unlike PCLinuxOS and almost every debian package is also available to you... good luck to your distro surfing.

rjmdomingo2003
November 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Definitely Debian is the most prolific distribution out-there but beware there is so much software in its repository that you'll get lost in it, literally. but the good news is the community is one of the best if not the best. regarding hardware support it is the same with ubuntu, if its not there because it's not free then the multiverse is your solution. I've been with debian and i've even successfully develop my thesis using DAMP.

PCLinuxOS is great also, because it's Mandriva with additional codecs you'll find it very "out-of-the-box", mostly just install and use. I've used Mandriva in the past and quite frankly this is better by software installation by default. but Mandriva have a very good repository so packages is not a problem if you have a very good internet connection.

But to redeem myself.. you don't have to move to another distro because ubuntu has better software development timeline unlike PCLinuxOS and almost every debian package is also available to you... good luck to your distro surfing.

Great & insightful input, x.3r0! I've started reading a few Debian documentation, and am intrigued by it's minimalistic take on installation, what with all 21 CD's at your disposal. I certainly would love to have a customized system (only the needed apps, libs, etc.).

That said, I am also looking at Arch. Will have to read more about it since I've been hearing good things about Arch, and its similarities with Debian.

Do you think I'll have a difficult transition from a user-friendly distro to a "challenging" one? I'm excited nonetheless.

Keep the input coming guys!

rjmdomingo2003
November 7th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Magandang hapon po! Napuntahan ko 'tong site na 'to: http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

Very helpful sa aking "quest" ang test na 'to, and I've decided to dive into Debian. Marami-rami na rin akong nabasang threads about Debian, and yung home page, of course.

Wish me luck guys. [-o<

kopinux
November 8th, 2007, 02:12 AM
distro hopping?

okay yan diyan mo ma rerealize ang kahalagahan ng ubuntu pagkatapos mo magpalipat lipat ng distro.

mitchi
November 13th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Official Linux Distro of POSCI

Ubuntu, Edubuntu, Kbuntu 7.04
Bayanihan Linux 3.1, Bayanihan Linux 4
OpenSuSe

business.geek
November 14th, 2007, 01:32 AM
fedora 8 seems to promise a lot.... got me really curious from its reviews...

yron87
December 21st, 2007, 02:03 AM
my top 5 list are

1. Ubuntu
2. Fedora
3. OpenSuse
4. Mandriva
5. Knoppix

raxso
December 24th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Fedora 7 and 8 is also one of the best distro.......

Pedro0727
December 24th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Natry ko n din ung LInux MINT maganda rin. kso may features s ubuntu n wla sya. but easy to install nd config. Yun ung binibigay ng QUBE n free OS (Linux mint) Gumagamit din cla ng UBUNTU

raxso
December 25th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Fedora - For Server
Ubuntu - For Desktop
Sabayon - For Gamers / Video Enthusiast / Music Addict

:guitar:

rjmdomingo2003
December 25th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks a lot guys sa inyong mga feedback! Merry Christmas sa inyo!

Marami na rin akong na-download na distro iso's para masubukan:

a) Fedora 8 Live
b) Mandriva 2008
c) Debian Etch
d) Elive 1.0 Gem
e) Fluxbuntu 7.10
f) Geubuntu 0.74-beta
g) Linux Mint 4.0
h) Sabayon Mini edition
i) Oz

Kelangan ko lang maghanap ng panahon para subukan lahat. I guess I'll eventually end up with dual booting Ubuntu & Debian. Of course, that's just a guess :popcorn:

ippiraman
December 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM
umm... nobody wants to try OpenBSD?