PDA

View Full Version : Possible to run a 950 and other capture card?

dougsnell
November 1st, 2007, 04:16 AM
I realize I may be pushing things ... but is it possible to run a Hauppauge WinTV HVR 950 (em28xx) and any other capture card? I ask because I've been trying to get it working with a Hauppauge dual-tuner PVR 500. When I do, the 500 simply will not open in Myth's capture card setup (as MPEG-2 encoder card, it shows "Failed to open"). lspci shows it as two multimedia controllers (mpeg-2 encoders, as iTVC16).

I have verified the 500 recognizes when I install it by itself, and the 950 has been happily recording away. But when I put the two together, only the 950 seems to work.

Am I missing something? Is there something I should be running through? So far, I've followed the following link to get to my currently working 950 setup:

http://lunapark6.com/usb-hdtv-tuner-stick-for-windows-linux-hauppauge-wintv-hvr-950.html

The Feisty instructions worked like a charm, though I did not have the 500 installed when I went through it.

-Doug

superm1
November 1st, 2007, 05:48 AM
I realize I may be pushing things ... but is it possible to run a Hauppauge WinTV HVR 950 (em28xx) and any other capture card? I ask because I've been trying to get it working with a Hauppauge dual-tuner PVR 500. When I do, the 500 simply will not open in Myth's capture card setup (as MPEG-2 encoder card, it shows "Failed to open"). lspci shows it as two multimedia controllers (mpeg-2 encoders, as iTVC16).

I have verified the 500 recognizes when I install it by itself, and the 950 has been happily recording away. But when I put the two together, only the 950 seems to work.

Am I missing something? Is there something I should be running through? So far, I've followed the following link to get to my currently working 950 setup:

http://lunapark6.com/usb-hdtv-tuner-stick-for-windows-linux-hauppauge-wintv-hvr-950.html

The Feisty instructions worked like a charm, though I did not have the 500 installed when I went through it.

-Doug

Not with any other V4L card. Unfortunately, this really just boils down to a political problem upstream when it didn't get merged into V4L due to development styles clashing between two developers.

It really is unfortunate :(

dougsnell
November 1st, 2007, 03:05 PM
That at least explains why I can't get it working ;)

Can multiple 950's be used on the same machine, or can any other devices be added? I have standard cable (not digital), and I don't have HD.

superm1
November 1st, 2007, 03:15 PM
In theory you can use multiple 950's. I can't verify that though since I don't even have one. I doubt you will get much input out of this forum on it either since you're the first person that voiced something about the 950.

dougsnell
November 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM
What about adding something like an HDHomeRun as a network device? None of the info I read about it says whether it can do standard cable (I'd think it could).

superm1
November 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah you can do that (mind you it only does hidef or digital stuff)

dougsnell
November 1st, 2007, 06:13 PM
Don't take this as a dumb question ... but is there anything like the HDHomeRun which does standard cable (short of the PVR-500)?

I really like the idea of a stand-alone device with two tuners ... seems a lot easier to maintain.

superm1
November 1st, 2007, 06:55 PM
There is the plextor convertX, but i'll warn its a bit of work to setup. Someone stopped in IRC the other day and is working on a howto for it.