PDA

View Full Version : octave vs matlab

arkara
October 31st, 2007, 12:16 PM
what do you use?

meatpan
October 31st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Octave occasionally, but honestly, the interpreter I'm starting to use the most is R. Over the last two years there has been a significant number of useful package add-ons submitted to the R repositories.

coxc
October 31st, 2007, 10:41 PM
I haven't used Octave, so I can't comment on it. MATLAB, though, I can't live without. As a grad student, it is $99 for the student version, which includes the control toolbox, which I need. Again, I can't compare it with Octave, but $99 for something that has the capabilities (and third-party support) of MATLAB is much less than it is worth. BTW, I'm not associated with MATLAB, just a huge fan.

atentik
January 22nd, 2008, 02:01 AM
Although Octave has strong capabilities, Matlab certainly tops it.

thisismalhotra
January 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
I think if you all try octave 3.0 many of those things will change ... also there is immense support for octave too. I have used matlab in school and I am talking about fully blown one and agree it can do many things, But if you do signal processing like me your payout is probably very high for all the toolboxes you need. Octave does everything just fine and it's at no cost .. beat that guys

:popcorn:

RebounD11
January 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
I use Matlab for Linux cause I got it for free from my school, I can't afford it otherwise... once I finish I probably will use Octave if I need it :)

stchman
March 14th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I use Octave at home and Matlab at work. I find that Octave works for me as Matlab's bloat is getting ridiculous.

overdrank
March 15th, 2012, 12:11 AM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5451/necromancing.jpg
From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy).

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
Thread closed.