PDA

View Full Version : "Last Word" thread closed

koenn
October 28th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Hi,

I noticed the "Last Word" thread (Cafe Games : http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3653143&postcount=358 ) got closed for "pettiness and bickering", and with reference to "this last exchange", which I assume includes posts by me.

I'm a bit surprised. It's a game, and people know that.
pettines and bickering was what this thread was all about, eg. re. the OP :
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2263015&postcount=5

I'd also like to know what Matthew meant with "this last exchange" and why that would be a reason to close the thread. Those last few posts are not unlike lots of other posts all over the thread ....

matthew
October 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I'd also like to know what Matthew meant with "this last exchange" and why that would be a reason to close the thread. Those last few posts are not unlike lots of other posts all over the thread ....I had a user send me a PM complaining, specifically about you. I read through the thread...not the whole thing, but the first 20 or so posts and the most recent 20 or so, enough to get the general idea of the thread, its topic, and the general posting atmosphere/climate within it.

The thread was just a silly game. That was okay. However, posting things like this, in post #355, is a direct violation of the forums code of conduct.

This is an international forum.
The alphabet you're referring to isn't even used by half of the people in the world.
Besides, this thread is not about alphabets
You're off topic
go play in the Backyard
I chose to be merciful by choosing not to issue you an infraction. As I read the general tone and style of the most recent interaction in the thread, I felt that it poorly represents Ubuntu and our forums community, so I just closed the thread.

koenn
October 28th, 2007, 05:27 PM
As you say, it was just a silly game, but given that it lasted for some 350 posts, I guess some people were enjoying it. I know I was.

As for the "the general idea of the thread, its topic, and the general posting atmosphere/climate within it." , there have been some other exchanges were paricipants were "banning" each other from the thread for use of offensive language etc - eg around post 120, and an exchange about ubuntu CE (around http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2307309&postcount=68 ) that, for once, didn't result in flaming and mud throwing.

So, in the context of this thread, I find the "you're off topic, go play in the backyard" rather mild, and, for the record, I wasn't serious - as far as I'm concerned there is not 1 serious post in that thread.

But as you say,
you got the last word :)

matthew
October 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM
So, in the context of this thread, I find the "you're off topic, go play in the backyard" rather mild, and, for the record, I wasn't serious - as far as I'm concerned there is not 1 serious post in that thread. That is why I didn't issue infractions and so on. I realize that none of what was said was serious...and therefore it didn't seem worthwhile for me to expend a huge amount of energy on sorting out who did what, when, where and how in response to other user complaints. If one user was unable to see the humor in the thread, it is highly probable that others had the same difficulty. I don't think you, or any of the other participants in that thread, intended to do anything but have a little fun...and you certainly didn't intend for anyone to be offended or think ill of Ubuntu or these forums. Unfortunately, that is what had begun to happen.

My post closing the thread was also made with my tongue firmly in cheek...I fully grasp the irony of posting the last word in a "last word" thread and then closing the thread...I was hoping for a light-hearted end.

koenn
October 29th, 2007, 12:29 PM
My post closing the thread was also made with my tongue firmly in cheek...I fully grasp the irony of posting the last word in a "last word" thread and then closing the thread...I was hoping for a light-hearted end.
And now Vorian gets the last word. :)

Anyway, thanks for listening.