PDA

View Full Version : What's So Great about Amarok

plinydogg
October 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I've heard a lot about Amarok and I was wondering what makes it so special?

Personally, I like a slim music player. In windows I still run Winamp 2.76, which is very old, because I don't want all the extra stuff. XMMS is perfect for my needs and tastes except that it won't play files located on my NTFS partition (where all of my music resides).

I am considering taking Amarok for a spin but I don't want to even bother if it is a bloated piece of software (like Windows Media Player is). In other words, I don't want animations playing along to music, pictures of my album covers, etc. I'm just looking for something with controls, playlist, and perhaps equalizer displayed.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Plinydogg

ghantoos
October 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM
you won't have the useless WMP animations. But Amarok is a bit heavy.

I manages your database, can manage your USB mp3 players and your are able to add loads of scripts to it.

I personally like it. My pc is able to support the load.

If you don't want a little RAM eater, don't even try it. Else, try it and you'll get addicted.

Cheers,

Ghantoos

plinydogg
October 25th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the response ghantoos! I guess I can give it a try...

Neon Lights
October 25th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Audacious is pretty slim, you might want to try that out.

plinydogg
October 25th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Audacious looks like just what I'm looking for. Thanks Neon Lights!

DMK62
October 25th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Hi

Audacious works well with Gutsy and I would recommend also installing the audacious extra plugins with Synaptic. As far as I know Audacious can use Winamp and xmms skins. Audacious stores them in the /usr/share/audacious/skins folder.

If you have .flac files then Audacious really comes in handy as xmms currently does not have the ability to play flac with Gutsy.

Dale

plinydogg
October 26th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I went and grabbed some winamp skins and tried to put them in the appropriate folder (/usr/share/audacious/skins) but it wouldn't let me copy them!

I tried doing "sudo nautilus" in the terminal but the resulting screen doesn't let me access my home directory.

I'm still a newbie so there may be some type of really easy way to deal with this, but if so I don't know what it is. Does anyone know what I need to do?

Neon Lights
October 26th, 2007, 12:08 AM
No problem, glad I could help. ^^ and yeah, I'd reccomend installing the extra plugins like Dale said.
EDIT: Hold up. xD you said that just as I said this.

Okay, you should be able to access your home directory, it's /home/yourname. you can't use the home button, you have to navigate there on your own.

plinydogg
October 26th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks, Neon Lights. That worked.

Why does it require that I use sudo before copying into the /usr/shared/audacious/skins directory?

Is it so that malicious programs can't mess up the linux filesystem?

jayson.rowe
October 26th, 2007, 12:26 AM
i like Banshee

plinydogg
October 26th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Banshee, huh? I'll have to look into that one...although Audacious with a nice skin seems to be exactly what I need.

DMK62
October 26th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Hi

My aplogies for not giving a more detailed explanation with the placing of the skins into the /usr/share/audacious/skins folder. One thing that I have noticed with some of the skins is that some of the controls on the player will not have any function. Just right click on audaciuos and you will see all the options. I use the Kore 1.0 skin and its only the repeat and shuffle buttons that are affected. You can also get more skins at www.gnome-look.org and www.xmms.org/skins.php .

I am also one that likes a player that just plays the music and doesn't bombard me with visualizations and cover art and so on and so on ..,

As for the music files on your ntfs partition, what exact format are they in ? To my knowledge a lot of players have no issues with regular wma files but run into ones encoded with wma lossless.

Dale

picpak
October 26th, 2007, 01:04 AM
You can also put audacious skins in /home/yourusername/.local/share/audacious/Skins.

DMK62
October 26th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Thanks for that info picpak. I was surprised the first time I used Audacious that I couldn't find them in under my Home directory.

Dale

Neon Lights
October 26th, 2007, 01:15 AM

Why does it require that I use sudo before copying into the /usr/shared/audacious/skins directory?

Precisely. ^^

undine
October 28th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Amarok has a lot of great features. Rhythmbox works better for me though.

SunnyRabbiera
October 28th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Amarok is a great app in my opinion, mainly because it handles more audio formats then all the audio players for linux out there.
Amarok can access many music files that most others cannot.
Amarok is a bit heavy and its a bit lousy with its equalizer but I like it as a good alternative to similar apps like itunes.
Thats why I like it, while itunes is a mainstay on windows and OSX amarok is pretty close and in some ways better.
even if you dont like qt/ KDE style apps Amarok is still favored by many.

WanderingKnight
October 29th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Amarok is a tad heavy, but I never felt it bloated (unlike, for example, Windows Media Player or iTunes on Windows -_-;). It's, by far, the best implementation of the iTunes concept I've ever seen (BTW, I hate iTunes). Now, if it only had an integrated podcast search (and a GTK look, too :p)...

macogw
October 31st, 2007, 09:39 AM

Yep, that's exactly why.