PDA

View Full Version : Problems using MoBo NIC

fatemonkey
October 25th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Hey, I recently decided to reinstall on my mythTV box and tried mythbuntu 7.1. The installation went smoothly except that my NIC card is not working. On Ubuntu desktop 7.1 the NIC card works perfectly, on mythbuntu it does not.

Is there any way to install the driver from the Ubuntu desktop CD?!

I've got it so close! I have my schedules direct membership all entered and I can surf all of my "adding channel"s. I just can't run mythfilldatabase.

napsilan
October 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM
what motherboard (and NIC) do you have?

fatemonkey
October 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM
The MoBo is a hand me down and the NIC is integrated. Is there any way to find out the relevant info from the terminal?

napsilan
October 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
lshw > hardwarelist

then pose the contents of the hardwarelist file

fatemonkey
October 25th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Ok. I entered that command and opened the file that was outputted in nano.

Here are what seem to be the relevant parts:

*-core
description: Motherboard
product: nVidia-nForce
physical id: 0
*-firmware
description: BIOS
vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
physical id: 0
version: 6.00 PG (03/10/2004)
size: 128KB

[bunch of other stuff, processor, AGP, memory, etc]

*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: nForce2 Ethernet Control
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 4
bus info: pci@0000:00:04.0
logical name: eth0
version: a1
serial: 00:e0:4c:bc:db:1d
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 6MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation on boradcast=yes driver=forcedeth driverversion=0.60 latency=0 link=no maxlatency=20 mingnt=1 module=forcedeth multicast=yes part=MII

Any thoughts? Because of a bad router setting that cannot be changed I have been spoofing the mac address on this machine by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file and adding

hwaddress ether 01:02:03:04:05:06

after

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

but that entry does not even show up. I previously tried adding it, but it did not work. This is a fresh install, I have not modified anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

napsilan
October 26th, 2007, 12:07 AM
lsmod | grep forcedeth

Should output something if the driver is loaded

Have you also tried manually resetting the connection?

sudo ifconfig eth0 down
sudo ifconfig eth0 up

superm1
October 26th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Also, you can checkout network manager from the top right corner of the screen. You can renew your address by reselecting your network up there.

fatemonkey
October 26th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I have tried manually resetting and it does not seem to do the trick. It looks to you guys like the driver is properly configured?

It may be a router problem. I don't have full admin access to the router and the admin screwed up port forwarding to the mac address of this NIC, that's what forced me to spoof the mac before. I thought he had deleted those changes but maybe he hasn't. I'll check with him tomorrow.