PDA

View Full Version : Before I take the plunge.....can my system handle this...

Haim
October 23rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
I'm wanting to use an old system to run mythbuntu.
Before I waste my time trying to sort it, perhaps someone could comment on the likelyhood of the specs being good enough... I notice everyone else is running on pretty decent hardware.

Target: Backend system, only recording SDD. Either streaming or the frontend will copy the file over first if that works better.

Specs: Thinkpad t20.
Pentium 3
700mhz
256 ram

Card: Hauppage PVR USB2 (know this is kernel supported, it has hardware encoding)

However, also no USB2, only usb1.1 on the machine so will this be enough for ok SDD. Can put in a usb2 pcmcia card (any issues with tv tuner through an adapter card?).

Sticky suggests the its not good enough, though mythtv site suggests it could be. And I'm not trying to do as much as everyone else, no watching at the same time and all that lovely fancy stuff.

I have been running Xubuntu quite happily on the system (well apart from video card install issue and wireless card and ethernet card problems :) )

Cheers

Hamish

jARLAXL
October 23rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
why dont you use a live cd and find out? usually cd will be much slower than your system. so if it takes a long time forget it. if not go ahead

Haim
October 23rd, 2007, 02:47 PM
Live cd is only for front end from what I see, so doesn't really test what I'm trying to do. Record SDD, and have it available for a different front end system. On usb 1.1 if possible.

tgm4883
October 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
I don't know about the USB part, but I would doubt that USB 1.1 is good enough. I don't think you can sustain a high enough transfer rate over 1.1.

As to the speed of the computer, it should work. I've seen computers that slow work ok before. SD only and must have a hardware encoder on card.

Also, FYI, there is a youtube video of Mythbuntu running on a 350Mhz machine.

Haim
October 23rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Cheers,

thats heartening enough, I give it a go and see what I get going.

Should be a laugh anyway, apart from the grief from the wife about time spent on the computer :) If only I could teach my 3 year old to use linux and then it could be 'quality family time'.

mungewell
October 23rd, 2007, 04:46 PM
For what it's worth I'm using a 800MHz desktop with a PVR-150 for combined front/backend and it copes with the playback side of things.

Providing you can get the material hardware encoded on the USB dongle and across the USB bus you should be OK. Set the quality to the lowest setting and work upwards till it breaks.

Remember this only has to happen once, kids just watch the same material again and again and again and again and again..............

Simon.