PDA

View Full Version : What is the best hdtv tuner for Linux?

volksolwagen57
October 23rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
What I want is an hdtv tuner that has both analog and hd receivers...if that's the right word. I know that in analog recording, the show has to be encoded and in hd this is not necessary. Is there such a card? If so will it work in linux? I'm bidding on a pchdtv-5500 on ebay right now. I'm losing and I'm wondering if I should let it go if there is something better. I don't have an hdtv right now but I'd rather spend the money once and when I do, I want to have the flexibility of recording analog if i have to. Will I have to get an analog tuner now and get an additional hd card later? My specs are listed in my signature. I am going to upgrade to an evga 122-ck-nf68-a1 motherboard pretty soon, and downgrade my graphics card to a 6200LE (because it is pci-e). The new board has firewire and a three graphics expansion slots, two pci-3 x1 slots, and two regular pci slots. I'll use the firewire for uploading non-hd home movies form my sony camcorder. I think that wraps it up. Can anyone guide me? Thank you for your time in advance.

volksolwagen57
October 23rd, 2007, 07:44 AM
I forgot to mention that I am a Time Warner Cable customer.

Akriss
October 23rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
I think any HD card you get will only be able to receive over the air HD or non-encrypted HD. So best bet it an analog card and a HD cable box that had analog out. So you can record. ATI makes a HD thingy that uses a cable card (cable card provided by your cable Co.) but it windows vista only.

Just my 2 cents.

tgm4883
October 23rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
I think any HD card you get will only be able to receive over the air HD or non-encrypted HD. So best bet it an analog card and a HD cable box that had analog out. So you can record. ATI makes a HD thingy that uses a cable card (cable card provided by your cable Co.) but it windows vista only.

Just my 2 cents.

Your first part is right, but your best bet is wrong. If you get an analog card, then you won't be viewing HD anymore.

You basically have 2 options.

1) if you like/only need the OTA channels (which your cable company will provide you with too), then get a HDHomerun. It's a great product and has dual tuners

2) If you live in the USA, you can stream via firewire.

volksolwagen57
October 23rd, 2007, 06:04 PM
I thought the purpose of an hdtv tuner card was to BE ABLE to broadcast the hd format from the cable company (i.e. so I can watch all of the hd channels they have available). What I'm learning from forums and articles is that there are HD channels allotted to certain areas and only these are available to hdtv tuner cards, NOT what is broadcast with an hd service upgrade from Time Warner. If this is true, what's the point? I'd like to see a movie channel in HD or ESPN in HD, etc. I don't mean to bad mouth the tv tuner cards, I'm still going to get one, but I thought I could get rid of my cable box once and for all. Thanks for the quick responses.

tgm4883
October 23rd, 2007, 07:23 PM
I thought the purpose of an hdtv tuner card was to BE ABLE to broadcast the hd format from the cable company (i.e. so I can watch all of the hd channels they have available). What I'm learning from forums and articles is that there are HD channels allotted to certain areas and only these are available to hdtv tuner cards, NOT what is broadcast with an hd service upgrade from Time Warner. If this is true, what's the point? I'd like to see a movie channel in HD or ESPN in HD, etc. I don't mean to bad mouth the tv tuner cards, I'm still going to get one, but I thought I could get rid of my cable box once and for all. Thanks for the quick responses.

Well, you're not broadcasting anything. You can only watch unencrypted channels with the card. You can get rid of the box, but you will not get your movie channels, and probably wont get ESPN HD either (you might, depending on your cable company). (Unencrypted HD channels seem to be the local channels). You are not going to be able to get something that you don't already pay for.

You can stream via firewire from your cable box in the US, but if your cable company has set drm on the channels, then that probably won't happen either.

Complain to your cable company or your congressman.

Meph1st0
October 23rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
I use the pcHDTV HD-5500 tuner and so far I'm very happy with it. I had to do absolutely nothing to it to get it to work with Mythbuntu. I'm using only the HDTV tuner. It does support SD tv but I haven't fiddled with it. Although, I'm only picking up over the air HD as well. It's a very good card for linux. This may not be the card for you if you intend to use it with a cable box with encrypted HD.

volksolwagen57
October 24th, 2007, 01:23 AM
I used the antennaweb.com website to check for my local channels, but where can I find a list of channels that are unencrypted? I also realized that there aren't many hd channels to begin with. Also I've listened to speculation that by sometime next year analog will be dropped and digital will take over. Is this true? If so, then maybe these channels will be DRM free??? Why DRM somthing I would be paying for? National Geographic HD? Thanks a million guys.

tgm4883
October 24th, 2007, 04:39 AM
I used the antennaweb.com website to check for my local channels, but where can I find a list of channels that are unencrypted? I also realized that there aren't many hd channels to begin with. Also I've listened to speculation that by sometime next year analog will be dropped and digital will take over. Is this true? If so, then maybe these channels will be DRM free??? Why DRM somthing I would be paying for? National Geographic HD? Thanks a million guys.

Heh, you've never heard of the music industry have you.

Next year I doubt it, last I heard it was pushed back to 2012. I don't know where you could find a list of encrypted channels, but if you have a cable box you can find out which are drm or not.

mariopapas
October 24th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Good question - I am looking for same thing but suitable for PAL - has anyone found a HDTV tuner card with Analog as well that will work with PAL / Linux MCE?

volksolwagen57
October 25th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Has anyone used a tv tuner like the avermedia that can be used with the pci-e x1 socket?

am_pcguy
October 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I've got a Kworld 115, I got it because it is a dual tuner. The HD side works great. The SD side not so much. The NTSC tuner works perfectly with Mplayer but not with MythTV.

I don't have any experience with the HD homerun but I have heard tons of people recommending it. Then for SD and cable you can just go get a pvr-150 for or something similar, that has been time tested and is known to work.

After fighting a dual tuner for several days, I'm going to say that's your best bet.