PDA

View Full Version : My Ohio natives...need some info!

evolushun
October 23rd, 2007, 05:23 AM
OK, I could post this elsewhere but I figured I would get your opinions first. I am on the brink of buying an iPhone and after doing some research, I have found that you MUST have iTunes installed to activate it and sync it. Will iTunes run on Ubuntu using WINE or do I have to start thinking of using Windows? Am I wrong in wanting this phone? I guess I am opening a debate here for you all to enlighten me. I currently use a Treo 700WX (I know, I know...Windows sucks!) and really appreciate the technology that the iPhone offers. Thoughts?

Terc
October 23rd, 2007, 04:09 PM
Ok, first off, the iPhone is great, I'm still loving it (with 3rd party apps) after my first couple of months.

There are a few things you should be aware of.

You WILL NEED a Windows PC or a Mac to activate and jailbreak your iPhone, which brings up another thing

You WILL HAVE TO jailbreak your iPhone if you hope to sync from Linux apps... once they support it.... IF they decide to support it.

The iPhone will not sync in Linux right now
There are some ways to get around this, but none of them are acceptable in my opinion. I currently am syncing by installing ssh on my iPhone and mounting it using sshfs. This means wireless syncing, but there are many issues. Album art will be broken, your ip may change, which means each time you mount your phone to sync, you have to find the ip beforehand. Also, you will need to restart the springboard each time syncing has completed before you can see the new music. Also, (most disappointing to me) I have not found a way to get Banshee to recognize the iPhone.

I read that the VMWare team is working on fixing usb connectivity between the iPhone/iPod Touch and Windows guests, apparently they have a solution, I do not know if it is available yet.

evolushun
October 23rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
OK. So first of all, I am assuming that you either have two PC's or are dual booting. Secondly, some of what you said made no sense to me regarding sshfs. Basically, if this phone wont work nicely with Linux, is there another phone that you would recommend? I currently am with Verizon but I have no qualms switching providers.

Terc
October 23rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
The quick answer is, if you're looking for something that will "just work" don't go with an iPhone (assuming you want to sync music and contacts from it, pictures from the phone will work out of the box though)

Look at the HTC Touch or wait for the Nokia S60 touch interface to come out on a decent phone. These are both great alternavites.

jdfreshwater
October 25th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I love the iPhone. I have not jailbroke it or anything. It has the best webbrowser of any phone that I have seen. Yes you do have to have iTunes to Activate it to the AT&T system. I have no problems with their service in my area. You may want to take a look at the Razor 2 for linux compatability, after all it runs Linux and is on every carrier.

kngcrntrd
November 1st, 2007, 01:37 AM
You might want to hold out for a little while. Scene development on the iPhone is progressing very quickly. It only took a couple days to crack the firmware! If I had the money, I think I would get one and just wait a few weeks for the linux compatibility. It will come, soon enough.

_Phineas_
February 1st, 2008, 01:18 AM
I dual boot Vista AND Ubuntu otherwise Id have to get software. I need windows for some things. but I run a program similar to Itunes. I havnt tried wine for Itunes yet.:KS