PDA

View Full Version : Moving desktop Linux forward...

phrostbyte
October 22nd, 2007, 10:43 PM
I was going to make a poll on this but it's such a broad topic it would be impossible to cover it all. What do you think desktop Linux needs to concentrate on to move forward?

CaptainTux
October 22nd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Continue to improve the usability and a stronger focus on marketing and press relations.

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 10:47 PM
broad topic that's been done to death.

igknighted
October 22nd, 2007, 10:59 PM
I think 5 more of these threads would do nicely...

In all seriousness, I think nothing special is needed. If desktop users continue to build software that suits their needs, just like we are already doing, then desktop linux will continue to develop in direction that is all its own, and will be better for all of us.

It's a conundrum in the sense that there are two ways of thinking about this.

1) make linux better. This can also mean make it not like windows. This might make new users less likely to try it. Think of Vi here. Scares the hell out of new users, but is the pinnacle of usability. I would like to see linux go this way. I prefer software that is harder to learn, but works better when you learn it. I think making it "like windows" prevents you from truely making usable software. So f*** it, and leave windows behind and make a truly usable system.

2) Make it more like windows. It will be easy for new users to become proficient, but will (IMO) be a hindrance to advanced users and those seeking true usability. Windows tries to do things in a very un-linux-esque way. To try to force linux to do things like windows will create horrible usability nightmares. However, it would lead to a larger user-base, which has the obvious benefits of commercial support (if you consider that a benefit).

So it is a conundrum. No doubt you can tell which side of the fence I am on, I did not try to hide my bias here, but I do not doubt that there are those that disagree with me. I'm sure there is an acceptable middle ground, but the #1 point I want to make is that linux being better does not mean in any way that it is easier for new users (who come from a windows paradigm). They have bad habits that need to be broken, they don't need a free OS that reinforces them.

aysiu
October 22nd, 2007, 11:24 PM
broad topic that's been done to death.
Agreed. I've moved it to Recurring Discussions.

EdThaSlayer
October 25th, 2007, 06:43 PM
More support for webcams and a bit more bug-fixing.