PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Must I use a monitor while installing?

meanmrmustard
October 21st, 2007, 05:04 PM
I'm installing on a box that presently has Knoppmyth and has only a TV connected.
How can I get the TV to display the installation process?

uopjohnson
October 21st, 2007, 06:02 PM
How are you connected to the TV? Can you see the POST when you restart? If you are using the TV out on a video card you should be able to do the install on the TV without a lot of trouble. If you are using the TV out on a PVR-350 I don't think there is any way to make it happen unless you build a custom ramdisk on the install media with modules for the 350s tv out, but that is probably far harder than dragging a monitor in from the office and setting it on the floor for an hour.

You could also try modifying the directions for an unattended ubuntu install:
Google Search Link (http://www.google.com/search?q=unattended+ubuntu+install&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) turns up a few guides.

meanmrmustard
October 21st, 2007, 06:07 PM
It's an S video output from an Nvidia card.

I see the POST and the progress bar screen and I hear the audio when the desktop should appear but by that point the screen is black.

I'll have a look at the links - thanks for the input.

superm1
October 21st, 2007, 06:13 PM
Something else to consider trying would be safe graphics mode. The nv driver doesn't support tv out, but i think the tv out will remain if you use the vesa driver.

meanmrmustard
October 21st, 2007, 06:58 PM
That did it.

Thanks