PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Ubuntu Community's openion

usacomputertec
October 19th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I have a very simple question and I want the Ubuntu Community's opinion. This is not ment to be a destructive post or a statement of any kind. It is designed to discover the view the Ubuntu community has. :KS

I know that having more than one distro sends confusion to new users but should Ubuntu be the only distro advertised?

Is Ubuntu the best distro for Windows Users even with the Gnome interface instead of the KDE interface?

Should users be able to compile their own Source Code from scratch?

Should users be charged a fee to access the debian packages from the repo.

Should Ubuntu become commercial like Linspire and sell licences or become comercial in any other way?

Should Ubuntu allow other computer repair companies to be advertised on their site for Ubuntu support?

Should Ubuntu advertise other distros as well to show people that they have a choice.

Should all distros use debian packages?

Why are new versions of programs being made more for Ubuntu and don't work as well on other non debian systems when it use to be the other way around? When packages were made more for other distros Ubuntu was more popular than PCLinuxOS on distrowatch.com now however PCLinuxOS is more popular on disrowatch.com and packages are more Debian centric.

What does all this Ubuntu advertising mean for other distros? Will other distros be extinguished. Is that the goal?

bapoumba
October 20th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Moved to "Community Cafe".

aimran
October 20th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I have a very simple question and I want the Ubuntu Community's opinion

*Long list of questions crits aimran for 9001*

Ultra Magnus
October 20th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I know that having more than one distro sends confusion to new users but should Ubuntu be the only distro advertised?[/QUOTE/

No

[QUOTE=usacomputertec;3574514]Is Ubuntu the best distro for Windows Users even with the Gnome interface instead of the KDE interface?

Depends on what you prefer

Yes - They can on every distro

No

Should Ubuntu become commercial like Linspire and sell licences or become comercial in any other way?

The ubuntu webste says ubuntu is and always remain free

Should Ubuntu allow other computer repair companies to be advertised on their site for Ubuntu support?

Dont know but I think I read somewhere that M shuttleworth says he doesn't mind if other companies want to provide support

Should Ubuntu advertise other distros as well to show people that they have a choice.

We have an "other distros forum" here

Hmmm... Don't know - standardisation would be good but there are probably good reasons why other distros use different package managers - to address different users needs

Why are new versions of programs being made more for Ubuntu and don't work as well on other non debian systems when it use to be the other way around? When packages were made more for other distros Ubuntu was more popular than PCLinuxOS on distrowatch.com now however PCLinuxOS is more popular on disrowatch.com and packages are more Debian centric.

?

What does all this Ubuntu advertising mean for other distros? Will other distros be extinguished. Is that the goal?

More advertising means more people exposed to linux in general, more developers programming on Linux so all distros benefit!

bruce89
October 20th, 2007, 12:26 AM
I know that having more than one distro sends confusion to new users but should Ubuntu be the only distro advertised?

Certainly not.

Is Ubuntu the best distro for Windows Users even with the Gnome interface instead of the KDE interface?

No, Windows is. If it works for you, why change.

Why shouldn't they?

No.

No.

Yes, but I don't see your point.

No, it's up to the other distros.

It's up to them if they want to use the unmaintained RPM thingy.

It's the weight of users I suppose.

No, and it shouldn't be.

Why isn't Debian in the poll?

n3tfury
October 20th, 2007, 03:25 AM
gee, i wonder which way this poll will tilt.

-grubby
October 20th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Why isn't Debian in the poll?

+1

crimesaucer
October 20th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Where is xubuntu and Archlinux? They are the two distros that I know, all though I've only been on Linux for a year.

I didn't vote because I feel that I would have to try more distros to actually know what is the "best" (if there can be a "best").

I would say Ubuntu has one of the best forums, and so much more information posted about it on people's blogs and tech pages that it is easy to get support for any issue. Plus it has so many programs in the repositories.

CaptainTux
October 20th, 2007, 04:33 AM
We live in a free market overall. If a company or community wants to advertise and market their Linux distro, they should be able to. That said, I would love to see each community participate in a joint awareness campaign...like "Pork:The Other White Meat." "Beef:It's What's for Dinner" "Got Milk".

This is a very subjective matter. I think that with every Ubuntu release the usability improves far swifter than other distros. The mission of immediately useful shows.

Yeppers.

Just to access the repo? No. However, if someone were to offer support along with a fee and do other things to add value, a fee for a service is fine.

Go to Ubuntu's homepage and reference the Ubuntu promise. This is something that will not happen. Canonical offers paid support for individuals and entities who desire it and I hope it becomes a successful business model.

If you mean a Canonical partner who is heloing advance and support Ubuntu? I have no issue with this is Ubuntu decides that is fine.

No, but anyone who goes to the forums can see that there are lots of choices in Linux. Ubuntu does not restrict discussions of the merits of other distros here.

Too much homogenization can weaken evolution. I say no.

Why are new versions of programs being made more for Ubuntu and don't work as well on other non debian systems when it use to be the other way around?
Could you site an example of an Ubuntu only program? Even if there is..a developer is usually scratching a personal itch. However, if the project is GPL, then others can modify it to operate the way they desire on the platform they desire.

When packages were made more for other distros Ubuntu was more popular than PCLinuxOS on distrowatch.com now however PCLinuxOS is more popular on disrowatch.com and packages are more Debian centric.
distrowatch is not a true indicator of the market.

It gives other distros the opportunity for more exposure. If a distro goes away it will not be because of another distro. The Bazaar is a fast moving place. Some distros come and others go. As to this being the goal...I highly doubt it, but if you have a concern, contact a Canonical employee.

bashveank
October 20th, 2007, 04:43 AM

No, choice is good.

If the Windows user wants to switch than pretty much, I find Gnome to be more intuitive anyway.

Why not?

W T F?

The only thing that would accomplice would be to temporarily wound FOSS.

It's their bandwidth, they can do whatever they want with it. However it would be beneficial to Ubuntu for people to see that Linux is in fact supported.

Their bandwidth, it would be nice though.

...Why?

Why are new versions of programs being made more for Ubuntu and don't work as well on other non debian systems when it use to be the other way around?

Cause Debian-based is getting pretty popular.

When packages were made more for other distros Ubuntu was more popular than PCLinuxOS on distrowatch.com now however PCLinuxOS is more popular on disrowatch.com and packages are more Debian centric.

Correlation doesn't equal causation. Also, distrowatch stats don't mean much.

What does all this Ubuntu advertising mean for other distros?

Nothing really.

Will other distros be extinguished. Is that the goal?

No, not at all.