PDA

View Full Version : I need a fast, stable, and bug-free distro!

Shoot3r101
October 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Hi guys I have been using ubuntu for quite a while now and so far I have been encountering numerous bugs with it; specifically 7.04. I was wondering if an LTS version of ubuntu is much more bug-free and stable than this version? And I am wondering if debian is more stable, fast, reliable, and bug-free than ubuntu? Please don't hate me for switching my distro, I love ubuntu and always will.

n3tfury
October 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM
you say specifically 7.04, but didn't mention if you've tried 7.10. nor did you mention what bugs you're referring to.

chris86wm
October 19th, 2007, 06:31 PM
no OS is bug free

Shoot3r101
October 19th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Please answer my question.

popch
October 19th, 2007, 06:44 PM
There is no bug free software, least of all an OS. If you would like a reasonable answer, you have to give reasonable facts or questions.

Otherwise, it is called GIGO.

Shoot3r101
October 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM
There is no bug free software, least of all an OS. If you would like a reasonable answer, you have to give reasonable facts or questions.

Otherwise, it is called GIGO. Well is debian more stable and has less bugs than ubuntu?

Shoot3r101
October 19th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Why is no one answering this simple question come on its not rocket science people.

popch
October 19th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Why is no one answering this simple question come on its not rocket science people.

I am frightfully sorry. I have not been able to download debian, install it on a spare laptop and exercise all conceivable installation options and applications in the seven or eight minutes you allowed since your last post. I am just about to learn ubuntu, you know.

Shoot3r101
October 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I am frightfully sorry. I have not been able to download debian, install it on a spare laptop and exercise all conceivable installation options and applications in the seven or eight minutes you allowed since your last post. I am just about to learn ubuntu, you know.Its ok man ;). Anyone else?

shad0w_walker
October 19th, 2007, 07:03 PM
You might want to find out yourself. Ask nicely, be PATIENT and don't be so demanding (Nothing is bugless and you haven't stated a single bug you have) and you might just get some useful help.

If all you are going to do is complain because the FREE help you are getting from people isn't good enough then very few people will even bother trying to help you out.

Shoot3r101
October 19th, 2007, 07:11 PM
You might want to find out yourself. Ask nicely, be PATIENT and don't be so demanding (Nothing is bugless and you haven't stated a single bug you have) and you might just get some useful help.

If all you are going to do is complain because the FREE help you are getting from people isn't good enough then very few people will even bother trying to help you out.
whew someones grouchy.

pelle.k
October 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Oh, come on! He (Shoot3r101) was just asking a question... So far his attitude has been admirable.

Yes, debian is certainly more stable. But it is *not* as up to date as ubuntu, so you might have to live without gnome 2.20 etc. (which in itself might contain bugfixes since 2.14. But they do patch everything they can to make it stable).

n3tfury
October 19th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Please answer my question.

ok.

7.10 should be less buggy and more stable than 7.04.

Shoot3r101
October 19th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Oh, come on! He (Shoot3r101) was just asking a question... So far his attitude has been admirable.

Yes, debian is certainly more stable. But it is *not* as up to date as ubuntu, so you might have to live without gnome 2.20 etc. (which in itself might contain bugfixes since 2.14. But they do patch everything they can to make it stable).
Ok and is the LTS version of ubuntu more stable? And n3tfury 7.10 JUST released making it buggy.

awakatanka
October 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Hi guys I have been using ubuntu for quite a while now and so far I have been encountering numerous bugs with it; specifically 7.04. I was wondering if an LTS version of ubuntu is much more bug-free and stable than this version? And I am wondering if debian is more stable, fast, reliable, and bug-free than ubuntu? Please don't hate me for switching my distro, I love ubuntu and always will.

Try dos, our linux without a gui. :lolflag:

With the attitude you write you don't get any serious answer. :lolflag:

dptxp
October 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM

There is no OS which is fast, stable and bug-free.
And there shall never be any such OS.

Every OS is a compromise, that is why so many exist.

Henry Rayker
October 19th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Your question is incredibly poorly configured. Depending on your hardware, packages installed and many other variables, one OS might have FAR more bugs than another, whereas, on a different setup, it could have far less.

Without defining any of these parameters (honestly, which bugs you're referring to would be an AMAZING starting place) no one can give you the definite answer you're looking for.

On my particular hardware, I found Fedora to be far less buggy than Ubuntu or Debian...but on another machine, it was the other way around.

You have no place to be a **** if you're not going to define your question properly. Hell, it's not rocket science; ask a poorly phrased question, get poor quality answers. If I ask you, "How many?" what would your response be?

Shoot3r101
October 19th, 2007, 07:25 PM
How come everyone on these forums just want to start fights and make racial slurs? I was simply asking a question and you guys took my normal attitude out of concept. And Henry Rayker quit behaving immaturely because you had a bad day, it was a simple question, no need to induce the complexity of it.

dasunst3r
October 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM
The difference between a LTS release and a regular release is that the former will receive updates for three years. If you want something that's pretty darn close to bug-free and rock-solid stable, you'd want an enterprise-grade Linux distribution such as SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, CentOS, or Debian. I cannot say that they are fast, but I can definitely say stable.

I have observed that most of the instability results from running bleeding-edge stuff like desktop effects, so just turn those off and you should be very comfortable in Ubuntu. Also, remember that just because the open-source community release more updates than that of Microsoft does not mean that open-source is less stable. As a matter of fact, I like to think that the open-source community fixes every little thing they can find as quickly as possible.

pelle.k
October 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Ok and is the LTS version of ubuntu more stable? And n3tfury 7.10 JUST released making it buggy.
Well, yes, LTS is more stable, but the impression i got from it wasn't rock solid like debian. I see LTS as growing in the direction of debian "stable", but it's not quite there yet IMHO. In the end, i think Ubuntu LTS will alway sacrifice some stability to be a desktop OS primarily.

7.10 was a "feature" release. The main idea was to be a bit on the edge, so the next LTS can focus on stability. So, yes, gutsy might be a bit buggy for some people. But it's not any different from most else dektop linux distros like pclinuxos, mandriva, fedora when it comes to stability. Still, your mileage may differ. :)
For me, gutsy has been quite stable. But yeah, i've noticed some minor bugs.

argie
October 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM

To give you this information, please tell us the following:

1. The bugs you are experiencing (in detail would help, link to the bug number on launchpad would be superb)

Yes, that's all that's necessary. You're just telling us, "There's a problem!". See, I don't know how into computers you are, but little experience is required to know that different computers have different problems.

You will have to tell us what your problems are. These are 'community' forums, your participation is essential. If you are not willing to simply state your problem, you cannot be helped.

Debian is not per-se more bug-free than Ubuntu. Fedora is not per-se more bug-free than Ubuntu. Ubuntu is not per-se more bug-free than Fedora or Debian.

Racial slurs are not permitted under the rules of the board. You may report the post and the moderators will see if there really was a violation. Will you help us help you?

EDIT: In addition, please read this post carefully and in its entirety. Remember, we're not out to get you. Many members on this board use other Operating Systems. We do not hate them. That is not Ubuntu.

Shoot3r101
October 19th, 2007, 07:32 PM
The difference between a LTS release and a regular release is that the former will receive updates for three years. If you want something that's pretty darn close to bug-free and rock-solid stable, you'd want an enterprise-grade Linux distribution such as SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, CentOS, or Debian. I cannot say that they are fast, but I can definitely say stable.

I have observed that most of the instability results from running bleeding-edge stuff like desktop effects, so just turn those off and you should be very comfortable in Ubuntu. Also, remember that just because the open-source community release more updates than that of Microsoft does not mean that open-source is less stable. As a matter of fact, I like to think that the open-source community fixes every little thing they can find as quickly as possible.Thank you dasunst3r! See everybody he answered the question flawlessly!

lyceum
October 19th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Well is debian more stable and has less bugs than ubuntu?

no, Ubuntu has less bugs (IMO) it also has better direction, but there really is no OS (including Mac & Windows) with no bugs. If you are choseing between these 2 distros, Ubuntu is the better option.

lyceum
October 19th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Thank you dasunst3r! See everybody he answered the question flawlessly!

Hats off to dasunt3r!!!

:popcorn:

Whiffle
October 19th, 2007, 07:34 PM
There is no such thing as a truely bug free distro, BUT, without a doubt the fastest I've used is Gentoo, and the most stable/bug free is Slackware, and was only slightly slower than gentoo with the proper kernel adjustments.

So, Slackware I say.

Siph0n
October 19th, 2007, 07:40 PM
My vote is for Puppy Linux! I hear its loaded into ram and extremely fast. Go for that one :)

Shoot3r101
October 19th, 2007, 07:40 PM
There is no such thing as a truely bug free distro, BUT, without a doubt the fastest I've used is Gentoo, and the most stable/bug free is Slackware, and was only slightly slower than gentoo with the proper kernel adjustments.

So, Slackware I say.But Slackware use's KDE and I love Gnome so I am going to have to go with Debian since how they seem to be the most bug-free and stable distro according to distrowatch.

rsambuca
October 19th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Debian Etch by design is more stable than Ubuntu. The Ubuntu developers take a snapshot of the debian unstable (Sid) repositories every six months, tweak it as much as possible for stability, add in the latest gnome, and release it. The Debian stable branch (Etch), has been tested much more thoroughly than the Ubuntu releases, and therefore should be a more stable system. Just don't expect the newer versions of software that you get with Ubuntu.

Whiffle
October 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
But Slackware use's KDE and I love Gnome so I am going to have to go with Debian since how they seem to be the most bug-free and stable distro according to distrowatch.

KDE? Says who?

:D

http://www.droplinegnome.net/

http://gnomeslackbuild.org/

regomodo
October 19th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Debian Etch. A bit outdated but very stable. I've never had any problems with it, and Lenny (Debian Testing) was pretty good too.

Shoot3r101
October 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Do you guys think I will be able to install the Debian 4.0 even though it is a graphical install, because I was unable to install Ubuntu from the live CD.

thx11381974
October 19th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Try dos, our linux without a gui

You beat me to it.

rsambuca
October 19th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Do you guys think I will be able to install the Debian 4.0 even though it is a graphical install, because I was unable to install Ubuntu from the live CD.

If you are going to install Debian, use the netinstall method so everything is up-to-date.

markp1989
October 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM
there is no such thing as a bug free piece of software

Gun_Smoke
October 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM
use 6.06 then. and wait for the next LTS.

UbuntuniX
October 19th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Allow me to ellaborate your problems here.

Members here try to help everybody in any way possible. They do this for nothing more than the knowledge they are helping others.
You come here and, as it seems, have contributed nothing. You demand answers, giving little time for answers. Your questions are quite ridiculous.
Yet we try to answer your questions in a helpful manner, however difficult this may be.

Nobody here has to help you do anything, yet you're receiving help. Try to appreciate and respect that, then maybe the answers you receive may be more kind.

Shoot3r101
October 19th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Allow me to ellaborate your problems here.

Members here try to help everybody in any way possible. They do this for nothing more than the knowledge they are helping others.
You come here and, as it seems, have contributed nothing. You demand answers, giving little time for answers. Your questions are quite ridiculous.
Yet we try to answer your questions in a helpful manner, however difficult this may be.

Nobody here has to help you do anything, yet you're receiving help. Try to appreciate and respect that, then maybe the answers you receive may be more kind.:lolflag: yet another racial slur!

Henry Rayker
October 19th, 2007, 08:04 PM
How come everyone on these forums just want to start fights and make racial slurs? I was simply asking a question and you guys took my normal attitude out of concept. And Henry Rayker quit behaving immaturely because you had a bad day, it was a simple question, no need to induce the complexity of it.

You didn't ask a simple question. You asked a question with far too many variables than would be safe to assume.

My day has actually been fairly okay, thank you. However, you still haven't answered my question...."how many?"

Gun_Smoke
October 19th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I think your much better off with windows kid.

Henry Rayker
October 19th, 2007, 08:07 PM
:lolflag: yet another racial slur!

Do you even know what a racial slur is? Where in that was there a racial slur? In fact, where in this entire thread has a racial slur been used?

Are you, in fact, a retarded person?

[NOTE: 'retarded' is NOT a race....although you do seem to be winning]

KiwiNZ
October 19th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Keep post here inline with the code of conduct or this thread will be closed

tcpip4lyfe
October 19th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I think your much better off with windows kid.

+1

Cannaregio
October 19th, 2007, 08:13 PM

No, judging from your postings I don't think you'll be able to install it.

Shoot3r101
October 19th, 2007, 08:13 PM
So guys can I install Debian 4.0 if its a graphical install even though I had to use a text based installer to install Ubuntu? :lolflag: everyone is so mean today!

popch
October 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I have much dithered over this answer. However, given your experience, needs and expectations, there's only one suitable distribution: stable, free of bugs (and indeed any critters), and more than fast enough for your purpose. Also keeping in mind that one who is ungrateful will sooner or later have no reason to be grateful at all.

I suggest you have a look at whitebuntu although I do not endorse that distro at all.

Gun_Smoke
October 19th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Just lock this..

He has had more than enough opinions to make an educated decision himself. This will go no further, unless someone is going to buy a plane ticked, fly to his house, install some type of gnome based system and put a sticker on the side of the box that says bug free since 93. And maybe a few bolts of lightening to speed things up.

markp1989
October 19th, 2007, 08:19 PM

there is nothing even remotely racist in the text you quoted

XxZtemxX
October 19th, 2007, 08:21 PM
You didn't ask a simple question. You asked a question with far too many variables than would be safe to assume.

My day has actually been fairly okay, thank you. However, you still haven't answered my question...."how many?"

/spreads arms wide

"THIS MANY!!"

glad you're having a decent day.

UbuntuniX
October 19th, 2007, 08:22 PM

I have my doubts whether you know what a racial slur actually is.
My above post had absolutely nothing related to your race about it. Infact, it held nothing offensive within, though I'm not too sure you would know the difference.

Do you even know what a racial slur is? Where in that was there a racial slur? In fact, where in this entire thread has a racial slur been used?

Are you, in fact, a retarded person?

[NOTE: 'retarded' is NOT a race....although you do seem to be winning]

I just have to share that one with everyone on IRC. :)

Henry Rayker
October 19th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Honestly, if a person comes in here demanding answers to a poorly phrased question and all but berates those who request more information, I don't know what we're supposed to do about it.

I really am curious as to what instabilities and bugs the OP has run into. I regret that my language was found to be offensive (although, I still maintain that neither I nor any other participant ever used a racial slur). These kinds of threads, due to their total lack of helpful information, do absolutely nothing to help the forums.

Gun_Smoke
October 19th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I am officially unsubscribed to this thread.

n3tfury
October 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM

please point it out. i don't see it.

KiwiNZ
October 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
This thread has lost any usefullness, I am closing it